Who is your best Cantor Survey

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi All,

I doing a survey to find out who is the most preferred Cantor by most people. If you have a minute can you please answer the following:

1. List the name of your favourite Cantor. Please don't put HICS or HCOC because they are chours groups. I need the name of the Cantor
2. Tell me specifically why you prefer this Cantor. Please don't compare this Cantor to other Cantors because this normally causes conflicts between members on 
    tasbeha.org
3. What is the influence of this Cantor on you? Even if you have never met him. 
4. What are your dreams regarding Coptic Hymns?

Thanks in advance to everyone that will participate. This survey will really help my church.

Regards

Comments

• My suggestion:  don't have this survey.

Let the obvious speak as to why this is not appropriate.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12616.msg148112#msg148112 date=1322601560]
    My suggestion:  don't have this survey.

i agree
  • I don't see a problem with this, if people PM their responses to you.

I am trying to figure exactly how this will benefit your church though?

• [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12616.msg148114#msg148114 date=1322608986]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12616.msg148112#msg148112 date=1322601560]

i agree

Same.

You already mentioned that comparing cantors will cause conflict. It also degrades a God given service into one of public appeal. I would recommend taking out questions 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 are fine.
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=12616.msg148129#msg148129 date=1322623795]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12616.msg148114#msg148114 date=1322608986]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12616.msg148112#msg148112 date=1322601560]

i agree

Same.

You already mentioned that comparing cantors will cause conflict. It also degrades a God given service into one of public appeal. I would recommend taking out questions 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 are fine.

Well, you can't answer 3 without answering 1  ;)
  • I am interested in the whole topic and history of cantors, what they do, how they learned all that they know...its sort of a mystical realm not part of our north american/immigration (coptic) churches. So while perhaps I'm not in favour of rating them, I am in favour of having the famous ones listed and something brief written about them, their life, their passion for the chanting, their methods of knowledge retention (learning). I know that the cantor historically had very ancient roots; the Greek and Antiochian Orthodox also have cantors from Constantinople and Antioch where they have handed down the hymns until today and written it in musical notation often.

My mom told me that in Egypt, the (often blind) cantor (perhaps a while ago), would have a small room inside the church building and would live there and he/d be present to help lead all services as necessary.
  • Agape,

It is a very serious sin to compare servants, and to do so based on subjective feelings and favouritism.

Hymns are a means of praying. The point is to use hymnology to praise God. If someone instead turn towards the style of music, the voice of the cantors, or even the physical attractiveness of a young deacon chanting, then it's a sin, and it's far better for the person to avoid chanting hymns or listening to hymns completely.

"Yet when it happens to me to be more moved by the singing than by what is sung, I confess myself to have sinned criminally, and then I would rather not have heard the singing” (St. Augustine, Confessions, X:33).
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12616.msg148141#msg148141 date=1322626951]
    "Yet when it happens to me to be more moved by the singing than by what is sung, I confess myself to have sinned criminally, and then I would rather not have heard the singing” (St. Augustine, Confessions, X:33).

;D ;D we just read Confessions in my humanities class. Awesome book, would recommend
  • If you would like to know a bit about how cantors are trained and perhaps selected watch the interview with Cantor Ibrahim Ayad. He talks a bit about his six years of education learning hymns in Cairo.