what age are you supposed to be to become a sunday school teacher?

edited June 2011 in Youth Corner
What is the perfect age to start to be a sunday school teacher? in highschool? afterwards? What  are some requirements to become a sunday school teacher?

thank you to all in advance

Comments

• I think first you have to have some kind of preperation to become a servant. Also known as preservants. This helps you know about the bible more and learn how to act through God in certain situations.

I guess when you complete this, which can be in the middle of highschool, then you can start.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
  • In my church, it is usually around the start of college that we start serving sunday school. Obviously, some are not called by God for this specific service, but I started first year of college. I started teaching a hymns class and a coptic class around 10th grade, but that was due to a lack of capable hymns/coptic teachers in our church.

Also, someone can be mid college and be immature, and not ready for the sunday school service. With sunday school, you are directly influencing the life and spirituality of the children in your class. It requires a great deal of dedication and a good spiritual foundation.

In our church, we not only prepare lessons, but we are expected to make homework assignments, call the kids weekly, go on outings with them (not too often), do occasional visitations to their house where we read a passage of the bible with them and then contemplate on it.

Basically, the more you see the kids, the more you need to be a good example for them. We are also required to come early to church and attend all Liturgical services (Vespers, Matins, Liturgy, and Midnight Praises). Though some do not have the ability to do all those things (such as stay late at Midnight Praises and come early for Matins), the best way to serve the kids is by being an example to them. They won't remember every story you tell them, or every verse you have them memorize, or any hymn you teach them. What they will remember is how their servant acted. How he treated them, and others around them, and the example he set for them.

So, sunday school teaching is irrelevant of age. It has to do with maturity, level of spirituality, and dedication.

Also, I refer to the sunday school teacher as a "he" because I'm a male :P
  • I started when I was 17...
  • [quote author=tenoosht link=topic=11623.msg140024#msg140024 date=1308671328]
    Basically, the more you see the kids, the more you need to be a good example for them. We are also required to come early to church and attend all Liturgical services (Vespers, Matins, Liturgy, and Midnight Praises). Though some do not have the ability to do all those things (such as stay late at Midnight Praises and come early for Matins), the best way to serve the kids is by being an example to them. They won't remember every story you tell them, or every verse you have them memorize, or any hymn you teach them. What they will remember is how their servant acted. How he treated them, and others around them, and the example he set for them.

So true...
  • if u r too young, u can get prepared for being a teacher later by praying for all the kids during the week and by taking care of them outside of classes. show them the icons, tell them the stories behind them, give them good spiritual advice and just be available for if they need to study, play or hear more about God. also concentrate a lot during your sunday school classes.
    don't always be the one to answer questions, let other have a chance to answer. when doing activities, help other people if you finish first (ask them, 'what do you think the answer is? why do you think that?' rather than just tell them).

may God help you as you serve him and learn more about Him.  :)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=11623.msg140036#msg140036 date=1308690031]
    don't always be the one to answer questions, let other have a chance to answer.

why should i do that, though? i mean thats basically me, i mean most of the time me but i mean i do give others the chance also, but what's the reason behind that?
  • it's to learn humility and also to help the other people to stay interested.
    the other kids need the experience of answering the questions coz that will help them think about it more.
    u know, if you are discussing something with someone, u r both thinking about it a lot.
    but if that person is talking and u say nothing, it's easy to get bored and stop listening.
    all the sunday school students need the chance to join in with the discussion even if they get it wrong and the teacher corrects them.
    that way they keep listening and find it interesting.

i am telling u this coz i only learnt this lesson around age 12 that i don't have to stick my hand up in class the whole time. the teacher knew that i often know the answer, i did not have to prove myself. i was worried everyone might think i am stupid if i don't have my hand up a lot, but actually that was not true.
    this is one lesson that is good to learn before becoming a teacher.
    there are lots more. God will guide you and show you how to learn if you trust Him and ask Him to teach you.
    :)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=11623.msg140044#msg140044 date=1308691710]
    it's to learn humility and also to help the other people to stay interested.
    the other kids need the experience of answering the questions coz that will help them think about it more.
    u know, if you are discussing something with someone, u r both thinking about it a lot.
    but if that person is talking and u say nothing, it's easy to get bored and stop listening.
    all the sunday school students need the chance to join in with the discussion even if they get it wrong and the teacher corrects them.
    that way they keep listening and find it interesting.

i am telling u this coz i only learnt this lesson around age 12 that i don't have to stick my hand up in class the whole time. the teacher knew that i often know the answer, i did not have to prove myself. i was worried everyone might think i am stupid if i don't have my hand up a lot, but actually that was not true.
    this is one lesson that is good to learn before becoming a teacher.
    there are lots more. God will guide you and show you how to learn if you trust Him and ask Him to teach you.
    :)

thank you
  • any age pretty much as long as you have maturity and control over a class
  • I'm glad you posted this. This, to me, is a very important question to ask, especially in my church. I feel like they let me anyone who is a senior in high school become a servant/sunday school teacher. Nobody has ever been rejected.

I feel like it should be more than just age. Most servants in my church come to mass after the gospel reading (and that is the only time they come all week!). I think there should be a more stricter, universal basis of who can serve. Just like how theres requirements on being ordained a deacon, priest, etc..
  • peter i feel you man.... it makes me so sad when i see servants coming after the gospel reading. but remeber peter you do not know a persons heart or whats going on in their lives. The could be studying really hard, you just dont know.
    but with that said they wouldn't `t take the challenge of being a servant. In my church there is a course that servents must take in grades 11 and 12 and pass to become servants. its very hard, but ofcorse their are exceptions like the uncles and others. But because of numbers in our church they do reject a lot of servants
  • i can understand them being very studious, but this is EVERY week..i just dont see how we can expect the kids to do things (such as come to church early, go to ashaua, etc..) when the servants put no effort.

not to mention, the parents expect the servants to teach the kids EVERYTHING.
  • Church should be all about bringing people together and making them one. When I was a child, about in second grade (public school) a kid in my class invited me to play soccer with him and his group. I still remember it today and it was one of the happiest days of my life. It has to be a place of acceptance. I have experienced love from my church but I have not felt really connected too much. I don't feel comfortable hanging out with them maybe. Also it must have a good image to the people outside the church or I don't know if I can be proud of my church. Have we done all we can to those outside the church. I had a few primary school friends and I like them very much. Being part of the coptic church is not going to stop me from loving those which are not egyptian and hoping they accept christ before they die and get accepted by him so they don't face eternal damnation or befriending them.
  • I see what you're saying, Peter, and I think a good passage to look to is in the Gospel of Matthew:

"And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." -Matthew 7:3-5

So while the servants' late arrival is a tangible issue, maybe we're lacking in something else, and it may be something that others can't see. Every aspect of our lives should reflect the service- not just on Sundays.
  • I started serving when I was in middle school, and I had my own sunday school class in early high school!

there is no official age for sunday school, but you should keep up with your father of confession, he knows what level you are at, and will guide you to the right direction.

but keep this passage close to you whenever you think of service,

“But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.  If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched—  where ‘ Their worm does not die  And the fire is not quenched.
    And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— where ‘ Their worm does not die
          And the fire is not quenched.’
    And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire— where ‘ Their worm does not die And the fire is not quenched.’
    Tasteless Salt Is Worthless 
    “For everyone will be seasoned with fire, and every sacrifice will be seasoned with salt. Salt is good, but if the salt loses its flavor, how will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace with one another.”
  • A good question to ask yourself is what would the kids think if they saw me doing this...as Jimmy said, Service should be something that should require devotion everyday, not just on Sundays.
  • Along with what Jimmy and Peter said:

My favorite sermon from my favorite priest for the servants.

Please watch it all.
  • wow i've always wanted to know what Abouna Antonious Tanious looked like! thanks!
  • Cute and huggable!!  ;D
  • He looks a lot older than he sounds.
  • [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=11623.msg147558#msg147558 date=1321397827]
    He looks a lot older than he sounds.

Priesthood does that.  :(

+++
  • Yeah.

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12413.msg145416#msg145416 date=1317423684]
    Live the life of a priest for 24 hours, then try seven days.
    I suspect by the time you get to hour 25, you will have lost 50% of your hair,
    grown 50% gray hairs for the remaining, gained at least two diseases, lost contact with your family, and wondered where your car keys are to go look for the hospital where you will be praying on someone who is about to die.

Shall I go on?

I know to the minute and the second the pain of a priest's day.