Pope Shenouda cancels 40th anniversary

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Pope Shenouda III has cancelled celebrations that would have taken place on November 14. The events were to have been in honor of the 40th anniversary of his ordination. The decision was made in light of the recent deaths at the Maspero protests.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/510550

Comments

• [quote author=TITL link=topic=12519.msg146900#msg146900 date=1320114726]
    Pope Shenouda III has cancelled celebrations that would have taken place on November 14. The events were to have been in honor of the 40th anniversary of his ordination. The decision was made in light of the recent deaths at the Maspero protests.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/510550

not surprising.
  • As my priest always says, may our Lord give him many years and keep him as he did St. Shenouda the Archmandrite (118 years).
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=12519.msg146904#msg146904 date=1320118724]
    As my priest always says, may our Lord give him many years and keep him as he did St. Shenouda the Archmandrite (118 years).

=)

Does anyone know what the word Shenouda actually means?

On a lighter note:

• She-en-nooti = The Son of God.
    Also known as Senotios or Senothios. There are many cotic geniuses on this site. they can corrct me if I am wrong.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • [quote author=returnorthodoxy link=topic=12519.msg146906#msg146906 date=1320123488]
    She-en-nooti = The Son of God.
    Also known as Senotios or Senothios. There are many cotic geniuses on this site. they can corrct me if I am wrong.

ReturnOrthodoxy

Oh cool!! I see, so Shiri like what we call Jesus as Son of God and Efnouti as God. Cool
  • [quote author=returnorthodoxy link=topic=12519.msg146906#msg146906 date=1320123488]

ReturnOrthodoxy

isn't "epshiri em-efnouti"= the Son of God?
  • Hi there,

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I looked up both the English http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/510550 and the Arabic (http://www.almasryalyoum.com/node/510891 versions - and there seems to be some sort of discrepancy...
    The English version (dated 31/10/2011) does state that His Holiness has cancelled it, but the Arabic version (dated 1/11/2011) states that despite doubts that it was going to be cancelled, celebrations are going ahead...

Any clarifications as to the final word?
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12519.msg146910#msg146910 date=1320126062]
    [quote author=returnorthodoxy link=topic=12519.msg146906#msg146906 date=1320123488]

ReturnOrthodoxy

isn't "epshiri em-efnouti"= the Son of God?

In standard Bohairic Coptic, it is epshiri emefnout. However, certain subdialects of Sahidic and Bohairic Coptic, there is a lineage of non-standard words observed: shyri (standard bohairic) and shyre (standard sahidic) came from shr- (sahidic, akhmimic) which became shl- (fayummic) which became she (sahidic) which became shen- (bohairic, sahidic, fayummic, oxhyrhynuchus) as a contraction of she en-. So "shenennouti" contracted into "shenouti" (bohairic) or "shenoute" (sahidic)

(The negative sign "-" means the word is conjugated or attached to the second noun. So you would not see shr by itself. You would see shrGeorge "Son of George" or shrncyni "son of [the] doctor")

This is found in Crum's dictionary page 584a.

I hoped this helped.
    George
  • Remnkemi.... WOW. Thats all I can say. I would love to learn Coptic like you. Pray for me.
  • guys she means little son. in an interview with pope shenouda back 10 15 years ago he explains it. Shiri is son as well but she means young son or small one