Adding to the Liturgy

After thinking about the post about the Amen Alleluia Conclusions, another question arose. Why can't the churches change or add to the litanies to fit our conditions. I think that there are a lot of things that we should be praying for that maybe different than Egypt. For example, many people are converting here, why is the litany of the catechumens only in the Gregorian Liturgy?  Why don't we add a litany for Persecution?

Also, why don't we add Saints to the commermoration? The only female saint is Saint Mary unless the priest adds more.

Please note that by me saiyng "we", I mean the church, the elders, etc. Not us tasbeha.org people!

Comments

• The Church does pray for those being persecuted in the litany of the sick and of the fathers.

We have many female saints in the congregation of saints of the tasbeha. Though there is no harm to adding them to the liturgy through a decision by the Holy Synod. However, the length of the liturgy should be considered.
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12246.msg144013#msg144013 date=1314882915]
    For example, many people are converting here, why is the litany of the catechumens only in the Gregorian Liturgy?
    in the liturgy of the word there are many inaudible prayers that are prayed....one of them is for the catechumens.

Why don't we add a litany for Persecution?

because we are ALWAYS persecuted........and in many ways. if you study the words of the liturgy well you'll that we cover much of those ways of persecution......

Also, why don't we add Saints to the commemoration? The only female saint is Saint Mary unless the priest adds more.

Actually the commemoration is not for all the saints but rather specific ones. Each liturgy has its own set commemoration. The only exception for adding a saint AT THE END of the commemoration is if they are a canonized saint and being the patron of the church….and that is allowed by the holy Synod. Like in my church, the priests add Saint Abraam Bishop of Fayous and Giza because we have an altar on his name.

• Actually the commemoration is not for all the saints but rather specific ones. Each liturgy has its own set commemoration. The only exception for adding a saint AT THE END of the commemoration is if they are a canonized saint and being the patron of the church….and that is allowed by the holy Synod. Like in my church, the priests add Saint Abraam Bishop of Fayous and Giza because we have an altar on his name.

So Priests are only allowed to add saints that are "dedicated" (for lack of a better term) in that specific church?

And what exactly is the purpose of the commemoration if it isn't for all the saints?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12246.msg144032#msg144032 date=1314900836]
    So Priests are only allowed to add saints that are "dedicated" (for lack of a better term) in that specific church?
    I don't think there is a rigid rule on this. They add saints at the end if they want. The same thing happens in the year-round/annual Gospel response and the Intercession hymn. You can add whatever saint you want. The same thing happens during the Absolution of the liturgy. After praying the parts for the peace of the Church, the patriarch and clergy, he can remember whomever he wants. The liturgy is not meant to be so rigidly canonical.

And what exactly is the purpose of the commemoration if it isn't for all the saints?

First, if we were to add all the saints, and doing some math, there would literally be millions of saints to mention. That's impractical and really impossible. And if one only added saints that you know their names, then one would be discriminating against the saints whom he doesn't know their names.

Second, the Commemmoration of the saints (the priest's commemoration) as well as the Intercession hymn and the Midnight Psalmody commemoration already include a general line for all saints. In the liturgy, the priest says, "and all the saints who have pleased you since the beginning...all who were perfected in the faith". In the Intercession hymn, we say, "Through the prayers of the saints of this day, each one by his name" and this is repeated in the Midnight Psalmody Commemoration.
  • Remnkemi,

I was refering to the comment mina said:

Actually the commemoration is not for all the saints but rather specific ones.