coptic old testament

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Does anyone know where I can get the old testament in coptic? Or at least the psalms of david in coptic

Comments

• There is no full Coptic Old Testament. The Old Testament is about 75% complete in Bohairic, 40% in Sahidic, and less in Fayummic and Akhmimic. See Takla, Hany, "Introduction to the Coptic Old Testament", Coptica 6, 2007

If you want the Psalms in Boahiric Coptic, go to Moheb's site. Scroll down to Schwartze Psalterium. Keep in mind, this is not an official version of the Psalms. It is a critical edition of a few manuscripts. There are other versions of the Bohairic Psalms.
    George
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=11442.msg137957#msg137957 date=1305441886]
    There is no full Coptic Old Testament. The Old Testament is about 75% complete in Bohairic, 40% in Sahidic, and less in Fayummic and Akhmimic. See Takla, Hany, "Introduction to the Coptic Old Testament", Coptica 6, 2007

If you want the Psalms in Boahiric Coptic, go to Moheb's site. Scroll down to Schwartze Psalterium. Keep in mind, this is not an official version of the Psalms. It is a critical edition of a few manuscripts. There are other versions of the Bohairic Psalms.
    George

Which Coptic are the Holy Week Psalms in?
  • I think it's Bohairic.
  • The Seminary in Egypt has different compilations of the various Books of the Old Testament in Coptic.  I have the Psalms in one binding, the Pentateuch, and several other books.

Bp. Gregorious, of thrice blessed memory, had supervised these compilations, and sponsored the series to continue.  I believe the reposed Dr. Shaker Basilious was also involved in these compilations at the Seminary.  If you have family in Egypt, maybe they can help in sending to you.

I just don't know how far they have gotten in the number of Books.
  • Ilsm
    The books you are speaking about are new copies of Legrade's Pentatauch and Swartze's Psalm with Arabic translations. These are only new copies. They did not comply the Coptic text. They simply copied the Coptic and added the Arabic. When I said there are multiple versions, I meant multiple original Bohairic Coptic texts (and Sahidic too).

There are also multiple versions of the Holy Pascha service too. The difference in these versions can be as small as changes in spelling to additional parts. Most of the differences come down to minor changes.
  • I also have copies that my reposed uncle passed to me from the 19th century printings.

The European labels you mention, are from which century?

I'm trying to formulate a timeline to see where the sequence may lie.

I know that Bp Gregorious was using these particular compilations as well as the Coptic New Testament that was put out in the 19th Century by H.H. Kyrillos V as a basis for his own translations into Arabic.  I believe His Grace was disturbed by the Protestant origins of the Arabic translations that had found their way into the Coptic Church.