Avoiding vainglory

edited March 2011 in Faith Issues
How is it that we can best avoid vainglory? Whenever things are tough it is very easy to ask God for help and be closer to God because we realize that we are weak, but how can we keep the same self-weakness feeling when things are going well?

How can we prevent even the slightest, "it was because I did this...", "I achieved this...", "If it wasn't for what I did...", and all the other "I"'s from sneaking in our head when things are going well and we are successful?

Comments

• The most beautiful examples of this can be found in the desert fathers in the examples of St Anthony and St Moses the black.  Their wonderful stories full of humour, warmth and humility show us how we can and should endeavour to live.

[quote=St Anthony]Abba Anthony said, "I saw the snares that the enemy spreads out over the world and I said groaning, 'What can get through from such snares?" Then I heard a voice saying to me, "Humility."

The brothers praised a monk before Abba Anthony. When the monk came to see him, Anthony wanted to know how he would bear insults, and seeing that he could not bear them at all, he said to him, "You are like a village magnificently decorated on the outside, but destroyed from within by robbers."

One day some old men came to see Abba Anthony. In the midst of them was Abba Joseph. Wanting to test them, the old man suggested a text from the Scriptures, and, beginning with the youngest, he asked them what it meant. Each gave his opinion as he was able. But to each one the old man said, "You have not understood it." Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, "How would you explain this saying?" And he replied, "I do not know." Then Abba Anthony said, "Indeed, Abba Joseph has found the way, for he has said: 'I do not know."

A brother in a monastery was falsely accused of fornication and he arose and went to Abba Anthony. The brethren also came from the monastery to correct him and bring him back. They set about proving that he had done this thing, but he defended himself and denied he had done anything of the kind. Now Abba Paphnutius, who is called Cephalus, happened to be there, and he told them this parable: "I have seen a man on the bank of the river buried up to his knees in mud and some men came to give him a hand to help him out, but they pushed him further in, up to his neck." Then Abba Anthony said this about Abba Paphnutius: "Here is a real man, who can care for souls and save them." All those present were pierced to the heart by the words of the old man and they asked forgiveness of the brother. So, admonished by the Fathers, they took the brother back to the monastery.

[quote=st moses]When abba Moses was instructing one of his disciples, who was to become the great abba Poemen, he taught: “The monk must die to his neighbor and never judge him at all, in any way whatever. The monk must die to everything before leaving the body, in order not to harm anyone. If the monk does not think in his heart that he is a sinner, God will not hear him.” Young Poemen asked, “What does this mean, ‘to think in his heart that he is a sinner?’” Abba Moses answered him, “When a person is occupied with his own sins, he does not see the sins of his neighbor.”
  • “When a person is occupied with his own sins, he does not see the sins of his neighbor.”

I think thats gonna be my next msn status and saying for a while:)

I don't think its wrong to say that you have achieved and done things by saying (not ranting) "I have done so and so.." but at the same time acknowledge and make known who gave you that power, strength and ability to accomplish your achievements.. “You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.” (Revelation 4:11).. You just have to constantly have God on your mind whether you be in church or out, during Lent or any other period of the year with or without feasts, happy or sad etc..

I have this problem where I sometimes forget to glorify God during good times and its a weakness in me so I pray to God about it.. I thank Him for everything and beg Him to "diminish my pride and remind me of the dust from which I came from". Nearly instantly in all situations where I've become proud and taken credit for things which I think I've accomplished because I'm so "smart and wise"; God smacks me down straight away by sending someone or something to make me look foolish which reminds me to turn back to God and beg for His mercy and forgiveness. So I guess the key is to pray! Pray to God to help you with your weaknesses, He already knows what they are but He's waiting to hear you admit that you've done wrong and cannot do anything without His help. If He's given you the wisdom to see what you are doing wrong then I'm convinced and have zero doubt that He won't leave you to struggle if you sincerely seek Him in your life.

Listening to hymns and praises on an Ipod or phone while doing anything that doesn't need much or no concentration have never let me down either and actually boosted my relationship with God as I found myself always talking to Him constantly throughout my day like a friend (who you hang out with, apologize to when wrong, thank when they do something for you etc..) cos I could see (feel) Him all the time and not just during prayer hence never forgetting to thank Him as I just do it straight away on the spot :)

Please pray for me and for God to destroy my sin of pride.
  • Ever heard of false humility?

We know God is within us, and God is not far from us.  Humility is not making us bigger than what we are, and its making us not less than who we are.  It's being exactly who we are. 

I never understand when people say "Oh, it wasn't me, it was all God."  Did God not create your brain?  Your mind?  Your abilities?  To say that, I feel just makes me think the person doesn't feel God is close to them.  It is ok to take credit for what you've done, but if you feel guilty, I would seriously question how close you feel God is to your being.  It's ok to say you did something, but know in your head and heart where your achievements come from.  That is true humility.
  • Thank you all for the comments  :).
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less. - C.S. Lewis
  • [quote author=MarchMadness link=topic=11169.msg135039#msg135039 date=1301762996]
    I never understand when people say "Oh, it wasn't me, it was all God."  Did God not create your brain?  Your mind?  Your abilities?  To say that, I feel just makes me think the person doesn't feel God is close to them.  It is ok to take credit for what you've done, but if you feel guilty, I would seriously question how close you feel God is to your being.  It's ok to say you did something, but know in your head and heart where your achievements come from.  That is true humility.

If I know in my head and heart where my achievements come from, why don't I acknowledge/ say where they came from? Instead of taking credit for what God gave me.

PPFM
  • I know that nothing good I have achieved is of me at all, but is all of God. That isn't false humility, it is the truth.
  • i was giving my friend a lift after wednesday mass, one day when i was off work. i was feeling very good and peaceful, and, on arriving at her house, squeezed into a really tight parking space at the first attempt.
    without thinking (note that...) i said, 'yea! look at that!' and congratulated myself. i looked at my friend who looked surprised, and explained, 'yes, you see, i have a problem with pride...' i then asked God's forgiveness for sinning, as it is He who gave me arms and legs, and money to buy a car, and a good night's sleep so i didn't crash etc. etc.

if we work hard and do well, we are allowed to smile, but we need to give the glory to God, as He created us and we can do nothing without Him  :)
  • I think I might have caused a slight misunderstanding with my first post. I didn't mean to ask how to take "I" out of our dictionary, but what I really meant to ask was how to avoid true vainglory even if it is slight. By true vainglory I mean thinking that we really could have done something without God's help.

Thanks again and sorry about any confusion!
  • [quote author=MarchMadness link=topic=11169.msg135039#msg135039 date=1301762996]
    Ever heard of false humility?

We know God is within us, and God is not far from us.   Humility is not making us bigger than what we are, and its making us not less than who we are.  It's being exactly who we are.   

I never understand when people say "Oh, it wasn't me, it was all God."  Did God not create your brain?  Your mind?  Your abilities?  To say that, I feel just makes me think the person doesn't feel God is close to them.  It is ok to take credit for what you've done, but if you feel guilty, I would seriously question how close you feel God is to your being.   It's ok to say you did something, but know in your head and heart where your achievements come from.  That is true humility.

This is not even close to humility, the very universe we live in is sustained by God's presence, at the whim of God we would all become nothing.  I am writing the post because God in His mercy grants it to me along with all the gifts necessary to achieve this end.  He is the source and sustainer of them and without Him I would lack, the skill, opportunity and the desire to do any good.  We are truly nothing without Him, it is why every action in human life is prefaced with - 'if God wills'.

Humility is real, it is to be like Christ who being the King of Kings decided to come to earth and be made a little lower than the angels, to choose kinship with feeble sinful men over angelic worship.  It is being baptised even though He had no need for baptism, it is fasting 40 days and 40 nights even though He had no need to fast, it is saying you do not know the time of the coming when He is the Formulator of the divine plan in the beginning, it is suffering and dying like a criminal even though He is the Creator and Author of every good thing in the universe.

Society would have us be loud obnoxious and selfish people, as they ask us to be with their materialistic and self-centred mantra's like - 'you deserve it' or 'you're the centre of attention' or 'or can achieve it'.  Humility knows none of these things and yet it the most startling and baffling divine virtue revealed to us.  In our case we lack the power to do anything unless it is afforded to us by God but in God's case who has all power, that He displays this virtue is a mystery to us - who can truly understand what this virtue really is???

Humility is something which won't win us friends, it won't win us the promotion at work, it won't make us the life of the party, it won't win us the girl if we're a man or the beauty pageant if we're a women and it won't end the achievement of all our life goals unless they happen to be subjection, scorn and feeling compelled to take the lowest place.

We are instructed by Christ in His parable that even if we do every virtue perfectly we are to firstly take the lowest seat at the banquet and second to deem ourselves as unprofitable servants who do their mere duty.

God bless,

LiD
  •   If you are humble you will pray. Your prayer bears fruits. How can you forget what God has done for you through prayers? There are million people who work hard more than you do without your success. You can have knowledge but God gives you wisdom. What ever you do is dead in itself without the blessing and will of God.
      God can teach you through failure how to be humble. Humility learned in true hardship of life is so solid than what you can read about humility. Fasting is one weapon to fight pride. Pride is the fruit of flesh.
      The closer you are to God the less you can do anything without Him.
      That is the reason why most saints pray to God " Please don't give me a virtue unless I can live with it in Humility".

We know God is within us, and God is not far from us.  Humility is not making us bigger than what we are, and its making us not less than who we are.  It's being exactly who we are. 

I know 100% that's from Pope Shenouda's book!!!!!!
    Every single letter of it.
    I could smell it from a mile away. ;D

I think it was the "Spiritual Man" book? No?
  • Literally, we cannot do anything without God's help, or will, at least.  Give thanks to God for all things.  It's a matter of acknowledgement of who we are.  When you think about the whole of human history and the vastness of the universe, we're a speck, insignificant.  Watch a discovery channel movie about the universe, and see the vastness of this world, and its hard to see that we're really that great at anything.  We should just do our best and give thanks to God for at least giving us this day.  It's not very complicated.   
  • Well, in some cases humility does get us the girl.  If she's the right one.  ;)

[quote author=LifeInDeath link=topic=11169.msg135250#msg135250 date=1301991154]
    [quote author=MarchMadness link=topic=11169.msg135039#msg135039 date=1301762996]

We know God is within us, and God is not far from us.   Humility is not making us bigger than what we are, and its making us not less than who we are.  It's being exactly who we are.   

I never understand when people say "Oh, it wasn't me, it was all God."  Did God not create your brain?  Your mind?  Your abilities?  To say that, I feel just makes me think the person doesn't feel God is close to them.  It is ok to take credit for what you've done, but if you feel guilty, I would seriously question how close you feel God is to your being.   It's ok to say you did something, but know in your head and heart where your achievements come from.  That is true humility.

This is not even close to humility, the very universe we live in is sustained by God's presence, at the whim of God we would all become nothing.  I am writing the post because God in His mercy grants it to me along with all the gifts necessary to achieve this end.  He is the source and sustainer of them and without Him I would lack, the skill, opportunity and the desire to do any good.  We are truly nothing without Him, it is why every action in human life is prefaced with - 'if God wills'.

Humility is real, it is to be like Christ who being the King of Kings decided to come to earth and be made a little lower than the angels, to choose kinship with feeble sinful men over angelic worship.  It is being baptised even though He had no need for baptism, it is fasting 40 days and 40 nights even though He had no need to fast, it is saying you do not know the time of the coming when He is the Formulator of the divine plan in the beginning, it is suffering and dying like a criminal even though He is the Creator and Author of every good thing in the universe.

Society would have us be loud obnoxious and selfish people, as they ask us to be with their materialistic and self-centred mantra's like - 'you deserve it' or 'you're the centre of attention' or 'or can achieve it'.  Humility knows none of these things and yet it the most startling and baffling divine virtue revealed to us.  In our case we lack the power to do anything unless it is afforded to us by God but in God's case who has all power, that He displays this virtue is a mystery to us - who can truly understand what this virtue really is???

Humility is something which won't win us friends, it won't win us the promotion at work, it won't make us the life of the party, it won't win us the girl if we're a man or the beauty pageant if we're a women and it won't end the achievement of all our life goals unless they happen to be subjection, scorn and feeling compelled to take the lowest place.

We are instructed by Christ in His parable that even if we do every virtue perfectly we are to firstly take the lowest seat at the banquet and second to deem ourselves as unprofitable servants who do their mere duty.

God bless,

LiD
  • [quote author=MarchMadness link=topic=11169.msg135664#msg135664 date=1302304098]
    Well, in some cases humility does get us the girl.   If she's the right one.  ;)

lol
  • I need correct explication,please help me!
    Acoording to the Apostolic Constitutions N7 AND N70,according to the Council of Nicaea,according to the Council of Antioch 341  year constitution N1,everyone must be dismissed from the CHURCH if celebrates the EASTER .
    during the Passover.
    LOOK! www.chabad.org/holidays/
    2011year the Passover is 18-26 of april.
    Help me, please,I dont' know what to do.
  • Please don't cross post the same question. I have already explained that the Jews no longer follow the same dating method for Passover as in the ancient times. What the modern Jews do is of no concern for the Church.

What you must do is celebrate Pascha with the Church.
  • [quote author=MarchMadness link=topic=11169.msg135664#msg135664 date=1302304098]
    Well, in some cases humility does get us the girl.   If she's the right one.  ;)

Good one! :)
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11169.msg135967#msg135967 date=1302721890]
    Please don't cross post the same question. I have already explained that the Jews no longer follow the same dating method for Passover as in the ancient times. What the modern Jews do is of no concern for the Church.

What you must do is celebrate Pascha with the Church.

Father Peter, sorry for disturbing you concerning this issue again. I agree that I have to celebrate Pascha with the Church. I just clarify this issue for my conscience. I found one Jewish site on the internet. And asked one Rabbi the date method for Passover:

Dear Mary,

I am not sure if I understand your question. Passover was--and still is--celebrated on the evening following the 14th heading into the 15th of Nissan and then the next seven days.

Please let me know if this helps.

Yours truly,

Rabbi Menachem Posner

Passover is coming! Order hand made matzah, sell your chametz, prepare and learn at http://chabad.org/passover

Please help support our work:
    http://www.chabad.org/supportatr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :: On Thursday, April 14, 2011 you wrote:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good afternoon!
    Please,explain me very interesting thing for me;
    who,when and why changed the method of calculating the date of Passover?
    Thanks for yuor answer.

==============================================================
    Date Initiated: 4/14/2011 8:28:12 AM
    Category: Feedback
    Name: mary smirnoff
    Email: [email protected]
    ==============================================================

Father Peter I just want to know who and when changed this rules?
  • Hi Mary,

The reason for all the differences in dates is to do with the ever changing rules in how the Western, Jewish and Orthodox calendars have been worked out.  I've taken this snippet from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_calandar

The Hebrew calendar has evolved over time. For example, until the Tannaitic period, the months were set by observation of a new crescent moon, with an additional month added every two or three years to keep Passover in the spring, again based on observation of natural events, namely the ripening of barley to reach the stage of "aviv" (nearly ripened crop).[1] Through the Amoraic period and into the Geonic period, this system was displaced by mathematical rules. The principles and rules appear to have been settled by the time Maimonides compiled the Mishneh Torah in the twelfth century.

Because of the roughly eleven-day difference between twelve lunar months and one solar year, the length of the Hebrew calendar year varies in a repeating 19-year Metonic cycle of 235 lunar months, with an intercalary lunar month added according to defined rules every two or three years, for a total of 7 times per 19 years. Seasonal references in the Hebrew calendar reflect its development in the region east of the Mediterranean and the times and climate of the Northern Hemisphere. The Hebrew calendar year is longer by about 6 minutes and 25+25/57 seconds than the present-day mean solar year, so that every 224 years, the Hebrew calendar will fall a full day behind the modern solar year, and about every 231 years it will fall a full day behind the Gregorian calendar year.

So the Rabbai was correct when he said they adhere to the dates listed in Exodus but the method in which the date is calculated has been changed and maintained over time because of the challenges all peoples have faced to correctly synchronise the yearly calendar with the orbiting of the Sun around the earth.

This is again from wikipeadia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_year

Generally speaking, a calendar year begins on the New Year's Day of the given calendar system and ends on the day before the following New Year's Day. By convention, a calendar year consists of a natural number of days. To reconcile the calendar year with an astronomical cycle (which could not possibly be reckoned in a whole number of days), certain years contain extra days. Through further insertion of non-day units of time, the calendar year can be further synchronized; however, these extra units of time are not considered part of the calendar.

The Gregorian year begins on January 1 and ends on December 31 with a length of 365 days in an ordinary year and 366 days in a leap year giving an average length of 365.2425 days. This is very close to the average length of 76 Islamic calendar years (based on the average time between successive vernal equinoxes, currently 365.2424 days and increasing marginally). Other formula-based calendars can have lengths which are further out of step with the solar cycle, for example, the Julian calendar has an average length of 365.25 days, and the Hebrew calendar has an average length of 365.2468 days.

The astronomer's mean tropical year which is averaged over equinoxes and solstices is currently 365.24219 days, slightly shorter than the average length of the year in most calendars, but the astronomer's value changes over time, so William Herschel's suggested correction to the Gregorian calendar may become unnecessary by the year 4000.

I hope this helps.

God bless,

LiD
  • Thank you so much LiD for clarifying!

Yes, it really helped me. Now I really see that their method changed and when and how it was changed.

I read again the Cannons of St. Apostles No. 7 & No. 70, Cannon No. 1 of Council of Antioch of the year 341. As I understood that we have not to celebrate their Passover with them. But it doesn't matter whether the Orthodox Easter coincides with the celebration of the Passover or not. The Cannons only command us not to go to synagogue and not to receive any gifts from the Jewish Passover and not to pray with them in their own feast. Am I right?

Now I understand laconic sayings of Father Peter. And now my conscience is satisfied :)

God bless you!
  • Hi Mary,

I have been trying to find these references in my copy of the Apostolic Constitutions but I can't find them, I've done some more superficial digging on the internet and this is what I've found.

In the earliest times Christians used to ask Jews when the Passover was to be celebrated, this is reflected in one of the apostolic constitutions:

Do not do your own computations, but instead observe Passover when your brethren from the circumcision do. If they err [in the computation], it is no matter to you.

As you can imagine this kind of consulting the Jews to determine the date of Passover came to be unpopular and St Alexander of Alexandria also wrote the following concerning the accuracy of the date which the Jews were calculating:

On the fourteenth day of [the month], being accurately observed after the equinox, the ancients celebrated the Passover, according to the divine command. Whereas the men of the present day now celebrate it before the equinox, and that altogether through negligence and error.

At the council of Nicea they developed an independent method which would allow Christians to determine the Pascha date for themselves more accurately than the Jews of their era had been doing.

God bless,

LiD
  • Thank you so much again, LiD, for your kind request and for the time that you spent for me :)

God bless you
  • Dear firends mayby someone know about Joseph Muños? Is he modern saint?
  • He is not a saint in our Orthodox churches, although he seems to have been a holy man. I do not think he is widely considered a saint in the Eastern Orthodox churches even, and is known mostly by Russians.