Coptic word

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
hello everyone!
i wanted to ask if any of you coptic experts could please translate this phrase for me:) "The Class of 2012"

thanks

Comments

• I'll get back to you on that one.
    Oujai
  • Sorry, I failed... hopefully other members may be able to help...
    Oujai
  • I could not find "class" in the searchable version of Crum's dictionary available here, and Crum's dictionary is pretty much the standard reference work in the field. I also checked the more contemporary but much less exhaustive "Concise Coptic Dictionary" published by St. Shenouda the Archimandrite Coptic Society a few years ago, but to no avail. Chances are there is a word for it, but it would probably require more searching than it is worth.
  • There are multiple ways to say "Class of 2012."

You could use the Greek word cimpocion which is found in Mark 6:39 which means group. So "Class of 2012" could be translated as Picimpocion `nte pi`cnau so nem myt `cnau. However, this literally translates "The group of 2012"

A better translation would be picimpocion `nniremanzyb `n]rompi `cnau so nem myt `cnau which literally means "The group of students of the year 2012".

If however you prefer a Coptic word instead of a Greek loan word, you could say Piabyt `nniremanzyb `n]trompi `cnau so nem myt `ncau. Keep in mind piabyt usually means monastic gathering or monastery. But according to one dictionary, abyt has a second meaning of "group or community" In the Sahidic version of Mark 6:39, the word groups is auyt which is the Sahidic form of the Bohairic abyt. So Mark 6:39 in the Bohairic bible uses cimpocion cimpocion while the Sahidic bible use auyt auyt. (The double word makes it plural)

You could also use the Greek loan word meric which means division or class. In this case it would be ]meric `nniremanzyb `n]rompi `cnau so nem myt `cnau

This is all I can think of now. I'm sure if I went through the dictionary, I would find more.
    George
  • Ah, excellent! Thank you, George. This is good to know. How many dictionaries do you have, just out of curiosity? Can you recommend a particular one other than Crum's? (Which I don't actually own, but hopefully will soon.)
  • oh wow thats cool
    how do you know all this?
  • yea that is pretty cool  ;D

but how would you write '2012' rather than 'two thousand and twelve'??
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=11148.msg135464#msg135464 date=1302195723]
    There are multiple ways to say "Class of 2012."

You could use the Greek word cimpocion which is found in Mark 6:39 which means group. So "Class of 2012" could be translated as Picimpocion `nte pi`cnau so nem myt `cnau. However, this literally translates "The group of 2012"

A better translation would be picimpocion `nniremanzyb `n]rompi `cnau so nem myt `cnau which literally means "The group of students of the year 2012".

If however you prefer a Coptic word instead of a Greek loan word, you could say Piabyt `nniremanzyb `n]trompi `cnau so nem myt `ncau. Keep in mind piabyt usually means monastic gathering or monastery. But according to one dictionary, abyt has a second meaning of "group or community" In the Sahidic version of Mark 6:39, the word groups is auyt which is the Sahidic form of the Bohairic abyt. So Mark 6:39 in the Bohairic bible uses cimpocion cimpocion while the Sahidic bible use auyt auyt. (The double word makes it plural)

You could also use the Greek loan word meric which means division or class. In this case it would be ]meric `nniremanzyb `n]rompi `cnau so nem myt `cnau

This is all I can think of now. I'm sure if I went through the dictionary, I would find more.
    George

can't you also use

Nima;ytyc or nicboui for "class" as in students of 2012
  • nima;ytys means students only, not classes. nicbwou means teachings, not class.

Or do you mean change niremanazyb to nima;ytys? Both mean students. So it wouldn't matter. But you can't say either as a translation of "class".

I think I have 8 Bohairic/Sahidic Coptic dictionaries and 5 Sahidic dictionaries. The simplist dictionary that I would recommend is St Shenouda Coptic Society dictionary that you can get from them or from COEPA in Australia. But it's not that comprehensive.
    I think Crum's dictionary is over-inflated. It's meant for scholars. I like Dawood Muawad. It's predominately Arabic Coptic but it has a good amount of English. I also have Claudius Labib and Edmund Henry. They're in Arabic. I also have 3 Coptic/Latin dictionaries which I have not really explored. And Fr Kyrllos Adeeb in Clearwater has a nice simple dictionary but also very small. The Sahidic dictionaries are more abundant and better written. Crum's, Muawad, Labib/Henry dictionaries are both Bohairic, Sahidic, Akhmimic, Fayumic. Only St Shenouda's and the Sahidic dictionaries have Greek loan words. Most do not. So no one dictionary is adequate. Hopefully, one of these days, someone can combine the best of all dictionaries into one.

George
  • Hmm. Maybe I will look into buying Adeeb's dictionary. It is available from orthodoxbookstore.org, unlike the others. I don't think my Arabic is anywhere near good enough to use a Coptic-Arabic dictionary. Perhaps someday. Thanks for your reply.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=11148.msg135494#msg135494 date=1302211737]
    nima;ytyc means students only, not classes. nicbwou means teachings, not class.

Or do you mean change niremanazyb to nima;ytyc? Both mean students. So it wouldn't matter. But you can't say either as a translation of "class".

I think I have 8 Bohairic/Sahidic Coptic dictionaries and 5 Sahidic dictionaries. The simplist dictionary that I would recommend is St Shenouda Coptic Society dictionary that you can get from them or from COEPA in Australia. But it's not that comprehensive.
    I think Crum's dictionary is over-inflated. It's meant for scholars. I like Dawood Muawad. It's predominately Arabic Coptic but it has a good amount of English. I also have Claudius Labib and Edmund Henry. They're in Arabic. I also have 3 Coptic/Latin dictionaries which I have not really explored. And Fr Kyrllos Adeeb in Clearwater has a nice simple dictionary but also very small. The Sahidic dictionaries are more abundant and better written. Crum's, Muawad, Labib/Henry dictionaries are both Bohairic, Sahidic, Akhmimic, Fayumic. Only St Shenouda's and the Sahidic dictionaries have Greek loan words. Most do not. So no one dictionary is adequate. Hopefully, one of these days, someone can combine the best of all dictionaries into one.

George

Remenkimi,
    I was thinking that Class of 2012 most literally means the Students who graduated in 2012 right? So i was translating it as the students of 2012. The second word I posted, in my dictionary, nicboui means pupil (with the given spelling)
  • You can say Students of 2012. It's close to Class of 2012. But the request was for Class of 2012. And you're right cboui does mean apprentice or disciple. I was thinking of another Coptic word. My mistake. Keep in mind if you want to say Students of 2012, there are multiple synonyms for students: nima;ytyc niremanzyb ni[i`cbwou`i ni`cbou`i.
  • how do you write the numbers "2012" in coptic?
  • =b would be 2. I think =a is 1 but I'm not sure.

Hopefully someone else can help with the rest.

• I believe 2000 is written with two lines under the Coptic letter "B". So it would be bib with 2 lines under the first "b" and 1 line above the "i" and "b".

Unfortuneately, CS fonts can't do. And I don't even know how to write a double line underneath with unicode fonts.
  • NOT a double line. just a single line underneath.
    Oujai
  • Opadece,

I know you're going to love this because it suggests and corroborates what you've been saying about GB education. I've read in some new Bohairic teaching books that 1000 has a single line below, 10000 has a double line and 100000 is has 3 lines and 1,000,000 has 4 lines and so on. I think this may come for Ancient Heiroglyphics but as far as I know there isn't a single old grammarian text (a language school homework assignment) that corroborates this line under convention.

I have to double check some texts to see how numbers greater that 9999 was numerically written.

Regardles you were right. 2012 is written bib with a single line under the first character and a single line above the other two characters.
    George