Great Lent by Ibrahim Ayad

pp
edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
To Mina, Fr. Peter, Iqbal, Maged, and any other administrator(s),
I have found a brand new album for the Great Lent that Ibrahim Ayad made that has much better quality than the one on this site. Is there a way to replace the one on the site with the one I've found? Can I upload it to the site?

Comments

• [quote author=aem581 link=topic=11113.msg134281#msg134281 date=1301294426]
    To Mina, Fr. Peter, Iqbal, Maged, and any other administrator(s),
    I have found a brand new album for the Great Lent that Ibrahim Ayad made that has much better quality than the one on this site. Is there a way to replace the one on the site with the one I've found? Can I upload it to the site?

hehe...we have that. he changes a couple of things.....add much more. but mikesl just didn't get the chance to upload......el-sanna el-gayya. :)
  • hehe...we have that. he changes a couple of things.....add much more. but mikesl just didn't get the chance to upload......el-sanna el-gayya. :)
  • Haha, oh I was uninformed. You gotta update me about this stuff, man!  :P I just bumped into it and thought it would be good to add.
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=11113.msg134284#msg134284 date=1301300754]
    Haha, oh I was uninformed. You gotta update me about this stuff, man!  :P I just bumped into it and thought it would be good to add.

there is also a kiahk vespers praises that we "refuse" to add due to how far he goes with GB coptic.
  • Mina, what about the Great Lent vespers that Ibrahim Ayad did and was brodcasted on CTV/Agape last year. Is it on this site?
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=11113.msg134320#msg134320 date=1301321904]
    Mina, what about the Great Lent vespers that Ibrahim Ayad did and was brodcasted on CTV/Agape last year. Is it on this site?

that set was not "updated":
    http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Hymns/Fasts/Great_Lent/Ibrahim_Ayad/Great_Lent_-_Sun_Vespers_Praises.html

it's a separate set than the rite itself. nothing is special except the arabic passages in the middle of the theotokia (text done finally:http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/cat/300) and the exposition/commentary. actually, that's where we got the quick damg tune of the commentary to say in kiahk vespers praises instead of the Great Tarh.

i LOVE the lent sherat....simply because it is exactly like the kiahk sherat with twists.

and yeah....i didn't know it was broadcasted on aghapy or ctv....i don't really watch tv.
  • DEar Mina,
    I really can't believe myself having read your last post. That's music to my ears. GIve me details man, whose idea was that, and how far did he really go? YOu know my email, is there any way I could get sent an example?
    Oujai
  • What?!!! Mina, are you tripping man? This is way beyond having no musical ears, this is pure insanity. Lenten sharat are similar or same as Kiahkly? You're joking, right?
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=11113.msg134325#msg134325 date=1301322946]
    DEar Mina,
    I really can't believe myself having read your last post. That's music to my ears. GIve me details man, whose idea was that, and how far did he really go? YOu know my email, is there any way I could get sent an example?
    Oujai

nononon....asl enta mish-fahim. this recording are BAd. i think he was trying so hard that i think he was making mistakes.
    the most i heard: e-konomeia....we say it that way. it is greek. he says it as "EEK-nomia." also "agia" instead of ageia, MARIA instead of MAREIA. KEERIOS and not KEREIOS (which i don't mind much). but because in the roumi and mou'aqab it's all about this, it can get really bad.

and sorry. i don't have any of the track right now.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=11113.msg134326#msg134326 date=1301323128]
    What?!!! Mina, are you tripping man? This is way beyond having no musical ears, this is pure insanity. Lenten sharat are similar or same as Kiahkly? You're joking, right?
    Oujai

i know BOTH sherats (i was learned from Wagdi's right hand man :-)). the simialr parts are only the first, the longest, because kiahk have 4 tunes, lent doesn't.

the beginning is differnt, but than they go together in tune like Shere ne maria of tasbeha, than they separate with one little twist that if you miss, you can get into the other tune....then go back to the same hazzat in the beginning of the sherat and redo.
    did you understand anything ??  ;D
  • i know BOTH sherats (i was taught by Wagdi's right hand man :)). the simialr parts are only the first, the longest, because kiahk have 4 tunes, lent doesn't.

the beginning is differnt, but than they go together in tune like Shere ne maria of tasbeha, than they separate with one little twist that if you miss, you can get into the other tune....then go back to the same hazzat in the beginning of the sherat and redo.
    did you understand anything ??  ;D
  • Yes of course but when I first started posting on tasbeha.org in 2007 you were one of the people who advised me to refrain from commenting on similarities between hymns and just enjoy them as they are. So basically we can say there are same musical segments is shara na Maria of tasbeha, sharat Kiahkly, sharat Lenten, awan barshearaws of tasbeha, and shara taodoka.
    As for GB, it's clear that some people argue it's a pronunciation, but they don't realise that in Egypt the mere dialect which lived hardly longer than a century is being pronounced in MANY sets of pronunciation, on anybody's whim and caprice. Albair sees this in the different versions of Arabic kholagy's and turns a blind eye. Remenkimi and probably dzheremi don't read Arabic that fluently. Cantors Gad, Ibrahim, Wagdy, Farag, Sadek, and Zaher pronounce many words differently. Bad news for FR. Peter, and the new converts into the Coptic church... as for you Mina, and others reading this post, the time to start is now. Learn right, and correct what's wrong...
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=11113.msg134344#msg134344 date=1301331041]

As for GB, it's clear that some people argue it's a pronunciation, but they don't realise that in Egypt the mere dialect which lived hardly longer than a century is being pronounced in MANY sets of pronunciation, on anybody's whim and caprice. Albair sees this in the different versions of Arabic kholagy's and turns a blind eye. Remenkimi and probably dzheremi don't read Arabic that fluently. Cantors Gad, Ibrahim, Wagdy, Farag, Sadek, and Zaher pronounce many words differently. Bad news for FR. Peter, and the new converts into the Coptic church... as for you Mina, and others reading this post, the time to start is now. Learn right, and correct what's wrong...
    Oujai

An interesting set of observations here, Ophadece. We may be seeing the beginning of koineization with regard to the different pronunciations. It is too early to tell (since, like you point out, GB is still quite new), but I have definitely noted what you describe even in my small library of recordings. Plenty of people reach for the target foreign (Greek) phonemes and pronunciation and miss in several different ways or to different degrees. This is why I maintain that OB is preferable from a functional perspective, as it more closely matches the underlying phonology of the speakers' first language (assuming it is Egyptian Arabic). This is to be expected, given the proposed Coptic substratum in Egyptian Arabic. (See Bishai's papers on CS for examples.)

I can't speak for Remnkemi, but I do not speak Arabic fluently. I know enough to make sense of the examples given in linguistic papers (like those on Coptic Sounds blog) and make use of parallel texts (e.g., Nabil Mattar's pedagogical grammar, or my trilingual printing of St. Basil's liturgy, for that matter). That's about as far as it goes.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=11113.msg134344#msg134344 date=1301331041]
    Yes of course but when I first started posting on tasbeha.org in 2007 you were one of the people who advised me to refrain from commenting on similarities between hymns and just enjoy them as they are. So basically we can say there are same musical segments is shara na Maria of tasbeha, sharat Kiahkly, sharat Lenten, awan barshearaws of tasbeha, and shara taodoka.
    those long hymns are not a problem with that recording. but like i said, 80% of that rite is just text. if we have to put somthing online we have to put the whole set....which was chosen not to be for the reasons i am considering. it's not a matter of tarkeep at all either. it's reading.

Oujai
    haha.....actualy, in Albair's book, i dono if you guys have realized this. when he transliterates the coptic he always uses a "Beh" with 3 dots under: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/پ
    just amazing........

i forgot to say.....yes i know arabic....but because of that i tend to belief something really...how can i say this: "stupid"!!!
    i think that what is proposed by OB, with all due respect to abouna Shenouda and his Phd, is result of mixing the coptic into arabic. think about it, it sounds like we controversial letter we always talk about are those who are not used in the arabic alphabet. not to forget that many of the evidence that is used to back-up OB iare manuscripts that have transliterated coptic into arabic, which will never be perfect simply because the letters are not there in arabic to represent those in coptic.....crazy thought rit. 
  • Dear Mina,
    I have been looking for Ibo's Kiahk Vesper Praises for quite a while. Despite the pronunciation, could you email it to me? I know Ibo sometimes gets crazy on the GB but I'd still like it.
  • That is patently wrong, Mina. It is not about any sort of co-mingling Arabic with Coptic (not to say that this didn't happen, but to the extent that it did it was mostly the other way around; again, see Bishai's papers on CS). There is plenty of evidence that the controversial Greco-Bohairic phonemes were not present historically and are rather a result of ambiguity between the letter and the sound. Some saw the Greek letter and assumed a phonological correspondence to match, even when the Egyptian (pre-Coptic) antecedent did not feature that sound. It really is a mess because so many did not and do not adhere to solid linguistic methods, but I don't think Arabic is to blame.
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=11113.msg134353#msg134353 date=1301336761]
    Dear Mina,
    I have been looking for Ibo's Kiahk Vesper Praises for quite a while. Despite the pronunciation, could you email it to me? I know Ibo sometimes gets crazy on the GB but I'd still like it.

don't have them right now. also they are 4 tapes.... a lot of files.
  • aem581, don't have them right now. also they are 4 tapes.... a lot of files.

dzhermei, there is a reason i said it's a crazy thought. i don't know about any other documentations towards languages.....don't have time to find them.
  • Oh haha, darn. Looks like I have to find them  :P
  • Mina, I know that you read Arabic, and that's why I thought you'd rather believe FR. Shenouda than any other false teaching. You pay due respect to him, and so you should, but what you fail to understand is that hold on to just the same excuses like you do: they don't have time to read and appraise. Well then why should they be right or even close? The fact that you mentioned is very valid and apart from Mr. Wilson Bishay who dzheremi quoted, another Coptologist maybe French or German argued that it's perfectly plausible and scientifically acceptable for Coptic to borrow sounds from Arabic over the years so even if there was a p in middle to late Egyptian (the denotic stage as I believe), it may have disappeared since...
    Oujai
  • How do you square that idea with those found in the linguistic literature that show that <p> shows up orthographically in Coptic where Egyptian had <b> underlying, Ophadece? I'm not saying that it is not possible, but I guess I am in the minority view (?) that this is not Arabization, but explainable (not in all cases, but in many) by looking to earlier forms.
  • Please give me references dzheremi. I'll be interested to find out more about this...
    Oujai
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11113.msg134319#msg134319 date=1301321739]

there is also a kiahk vespers praises that we "refuse" to add due to how far he goes with GB coptic.

Send that to me!
  • Check the Loprieno article I reference several times in the "Teaching Coptic Language" thread, Ophadece. He gives some examples. The point is not to show that Egyptian did not have [p] (I think it did), but that orthographically <p> in Coptic is not necessarily phonologically <p>, and that where discrepancies between written and spoken exist, they cannot be ascribed to Arabic influences when there is evidence of earlier phonological changes that predate the introduction of Arabic into Egypt. 
  • dzheremi, you lost me. in the proposed pronunciation of OB, there is no "p". the veta and the pi refer to "b"
  • Mina, if you go back to the post of yours I was replying to it might make more sense (or maybe not; maybe I'm the one who is confused). I thought you had said that the proposed phonology of OB was the result of Fr. Shenouda mixing up Coptic pronunciation with Arabic. Is that not what you meant? You said that the controversial phonemes are the ones that aren't used in Arabic, and that is true to an extent (there are plenty of uncontroversial phonemes that don't exist in Modern Standard Arabic: o, e, bs ~ ps, etc.), but my point was that this isn't necessarily the result of Arabic influence on the phonology of spoken Coptic. It is actually somewhat more rare for a language to borrow an unfamiliar sound than you might think (though not impossible; there are tons of words in Coptic that are distinguishable as Greek loans precisely because they have sounds that native Coptic words don't), to the point that there have been entire books written about the processes by which foreign words are adapted into languages with sound inventories that do not have all the sounds of the origin language. If I may recommend one that would probably be of interest to people here, check out Ali's "A Linguistic Study of the Development of Scientific Vocabulary in Standard Arabic" (1987).
  • [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=11113.msg134390#msg134390 date=1301362072]
    Mina, if you go back to the post of yours I was replying to it might make more sense (or maybe not; maybe I'm the one who is confused). I thought you had said that the proposed phonology of OB was the result of Fr. Shenouda mixing up Coptic pronunciation with Arabic. Is that not what you meant? You said that the controversial phonemes are the ones that aren't used in Arabic, and that is true to an extent (there are plenty of uncontroversial phonemes that don't exist in Modern Standard Arabic: o, e, bs ~ ps, etc.).

an epsi can be replaced by a couple of letter. why do you think we have the word "Ep-saleia."
    the e, in OB, it becomes aa, which can have in arabic.
  • I am not sure what you are saying about "epsaleia". Can you explain it a bit more.

Regarding e, if I am following Fr. Shenouda example correctly (that it is "a" like in "at"), it should be [æ] (in IPA: near-open front rounded vowel), which I guess means we're both wrong.  ;) But I meant how it is found wherever the jinkim is: esmu, efnouti, etc. You can see it all over this short lesson from the Rochester Copts website.

• AHHHHHHH please put up a download link or e-mail it to me, the quality of his great lent hymns on this site are extremely low and and do not show the greatness of his voice!!!!
  • [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=11113.msg134405#msg134405 date=1301367639]
    I am not sure what you are saying about "epsaleia". Can you explain it a bit more.

you said that the psi can't be written in arabic. but it can.

Regarding e, if I am following Fr. Shenouda example correctly (that it is "a" like in "at"), it should be [æ] (in IPA: near-open front rounded vowel), which I guess means we're both wrong.  ;) But I meant how it is found wherever the jinkim is: esmu, efnouti, etc. You can see it all over this short lesson from the Rochester Copts website.

what does the jinkum have to do with this....i don't even know if they are in OB alphabet.

[quote author=CopticChurchForever link=topic=11113.msg134417#msg134417 date=1301376394]
    AHHHHHHH please put up a download link or e-mail it to me, the quality of his great lent hymns on this site are extremely low and and do not show the greatness of his voice!!!!

his original recording are that "low quality" because they were recorded that way....a long time ago. we try to have the files to be128 kbps: CD quality.......but some older files are just old.