Circumstances where clergy can retire?

Are there any circumstances where a clergy member (priest, bishop, pope, monk or even archdeacon) can retire? Not like retire at 65 and live in Florida for the rest of your life but pass on their duties to someone more healthier? For example, I know a priest who was very sick and was always in the hospital. He couldn't carry on his responsibilities in the church. He is not on earth anymore but would it have been acceptable for the next priest in the church to be ordained as a Hegumen to control the church? Also, if the Pope is sick and cannot get out of his bed for like 3 months (God forbidd), can he resign and we ordain another Pope to carry out the papal duties?

Comments

• My priest has functionally retired. He is very physically weak and unable even to stand. He is still a priest, and my priest, but cannot be expected to have the care of the congregation.
  • The priest or bishop carries maintains their title even if they can't physically carry out their duties. Someone else does it in their place until they pass on.
  • [quote author=epiphania link=topic=10984.msg133086#msg133086 date=1300231231]
    The priest or bishop carries maintains their title even if they can't physically carry out their duties. Someone else does it in their place until they pass on.

i second that.