Sunday Evening Prayer

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hello to all,

I am just wondering if the Evening Prayer on Sunday is the Weekend Tune or the Weekday Tune for Lent. Please respond, and God bless.

+ David Arida +  ;D

Comments

• [quote author=Davidarida link=topic=10915.msg132159#msg132159 date=1299438135]
    Hello to all,

I am just wondering if the Evening Prayer on Sunday is the Weekend Tune or the Weekday Tune for Lent. Please respond, and God bless.

+ David Arida +  ;D

i don't think there are "Evening Prayer" on Sundays during Lent. The only reason i am saying this is because there is no vespers readings for the next day, monday (except for the first monday of the first week--last monday).
  • I don't think so either. I remember a kid asked our priest if he could sing ere epsolsel in the weekday lent tune and abouna said you will never say that because there is no vespers during lent except for sundays.
  • Hello to all,

This is exactly what I am talking about. The vespers on Sunday night. The only reason why I said the "Sunday Evening Prayer" is because in the Presentations Menu, it is called the Sunday Evening Prayer, not referred to as Vespers. The link is below. All I wanted to know is that if this is a weekend tune or a weekday tune.
    God Bless.

+ DAVID ARIDA +

http://stshenoudajc.org/index.php/Download-Presentations/
  • [quote author=Davidarida link=topic=10915.msg132170#msg132170 date=1299443971]
    Hello to all,

This is exactly what I am talking about. The vespers on Sunday night. The only reason why I said the "Sunday Evening Prayer" is because in the Presentations Menu, it is called the Sunday Evening Prayer, not referred to as Vespers. The link is below. All I wanted to know is that if this is a weekend tune or a weekday tune.
    God Bless.

+ DAVID ARIDA +

that's why i wasn't precise in my answer...it been a while since i looked at the lent katameros. so the prayer should be in weekend rite.
  • Weekend tune? Ok, thank you so much Mina. God bless!  ;)

+ David Arida +
  • but if there is no vespers reading, how do you pray vespers?
  • there is vespers on Sunday night, but this vespers is not for Monday, its vespers for the whole week
  • [quote author=Davidarida link=topic=10915.msg132170#msg132170 date=1299443971]
    Hello to all,

God Bless.

+ DAVID ARIDA +

It should be in the weekday tune because the Saturday Vespers rite (tune wise) is determined by the following day. For example, the vespers that's prayed on Saturday night for Palm Sunday is prayed in the sha3nini tune rather than the annual tune as was prayed for the liturgy that was for Lazarus Saturday.
    Hello to all,

God Bless.

+ DAVID ARIDA +

It should be in the weekday tune because the Saturday Vespers rite (tune wise) is determined by the following day. For example, the vespers that's prayed on Saturday night for Palm Sunday is prayed in the sha3nini tune rather than the annual tune as was prayed for the liturgy that was for Lazarus Saturday. Since Monday is a weekday, the vespers that is prayed on Sunday night is prayed according the weekday tune.
    Hello to all,

God Bless.

+ DAVID ARIDA +

It should be in the weekday tune because the Saturday Vespers rite (tune wise) is determined by the following day. For example, the vespers that's prayed on Saturday night for Palm Sunday is prayed in the sha3nini tune rather than the annual tune as was prayed for the liturgy that was for Lazarus Saturday. Since Monday is a weekday, the vespers that is prayed on Sunday night is prayed according to the weekday tune.
  • It is NOT Vespers. it is, as it says in the readings file, "The Evening Prayer" = "salat al-masa-a"
    It is part of the sunday readings rather than monday. there still NO VESPERS for weekdays. therefore the rite is weekend. if you also look at the readings in the presentation, it will have "Je Peniot" as the gospel response, being prayed in the weekend.
  • I agree with Minatasgeel. The Sunday evening prayer during Lent is a unique rite. It only happens during Lent. It is a completion of the Sunday rite. The readings are a part of the readings of that particular Sunday of Lent. Its Gospel relates to that particular Sunday. It is not a Vespers Prayer even though it appears to be similar. Therefore its tune is the Lent Weekend tune.

There are no Vespers on Lent weekdays (Monday to Friday, inclusive) because their Mass is done later in the day. In some churches it ends at 3pm. This makes sense, since people are fasting (abstaining from food) for the majority of the day. In the Lent weekday Mass, all the day hours of the Agpia are prayed (1st to 12th). Therefore there is no need for Vespers.
  • I have a question though march 18 friday is there asheya for the Feast of the Cross
  • This is from Albair's deacon service book:

On Sunday evenings, a prayer is also performed, but it is not considered as a Vespers Prayer for Monday morning, since its Gospel is a completion of the Gospel reading for the liturgy of that Sunday. This is clearly opposite to the Vespers Prayers, since the Gospels read in the evening are to be complemented by the reading in the liturgy the following day. The prayer of Sunday evening follows the same order as the Sunday Prime Raising of Incense.
  • [quote author=mechaiel link=topic=10915.msg132239#msg132239 date=1299494864]
    There are no Vespers on Lent weekdays (Monday to Friday, inclusive) because their Mass is done later in the day. In some churches it ends at 3pm. This makes sense, since people are fasting (abstaining from food) for the majority of the day. In the Lent weekday Mass, all the day hours of the Agpia are prayed (1st to 12th). Therefore there is no need for Vespers.

Actually in Saint Mark's jersey city, all of our late liturgies begin around 4 for the sake of everyone who have jobs and school. and they are just the best liturgies to be in.

[quote author=markoc pi apostolo link=topic=10915.msg132255#msg132255 date=1299517556]
    I have a question though march 18 friday is there asheya for the Feast of the Cross

The feast of the Cross breaks the rule of abstaining from food fasting. So on that day, the liturgy will be in the morning and the eve before will be Vespers for the feast.
  • Ya Mina, the feast of the Cross this year falls on a Saturday, so technically it doesn't break the fasting, because there is no abstinence on Saturday altogether. However you may argue that we'll have to abstain if we intend to attend the Liturgy. Another day of fasting for us then (well nine hours that weren't taken into account), rather than breaking a longer abstinence period for those who attend later liturgies in the day.... hehe... only 8 days gone and I'm already going nuts... hehe
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=10915.msg132299#msg132299 date=1299536531]
    Ya Mina, the feast of the Cross this year falls on a Saturday, so technically it doesn't break the fasting, because there is no abstinence on Saturday altogether. However you may argue that we'll have to abstain if we intend to attend the Liturgy. Another day of fasting for us then (well nine hours that weren't taken into account), rather than breaking a longer abstinence period for those who attend later liturgies in the day.... hehe... only 8 days gone and I'm already going nuts... hehe
    Oujai

well.....the fasting for liturgy we must do anyway. it is to take communion and really is not part of THE FAST.....also come one....that's not a challenge. we sleep most of the 9 hours.
  • That's true, hehe...
    Oujai
  • [quote author=Davidarida link=topic=10915.msg132159#msg132159 date=1299438135]
    Hello to all,

+ David Arida +  ;D

The Evening prayer is for sunday and not the next day and so it should follow the weekend tune