holy Bread

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi i was wondering if anyone knew how to make ourban at home? i always wanted to try making it and i was hoping someone had the recipe. Thank you all and God bless! Pray for me please.

Comments

• this is what you need:

an area or room set aside just for making qurban.
    a priest or deacon.
    lots of memorised psalms.
    special tools for marking the qurban.
    an oven used for nothing else.
    flour, water and yeast (NO SALT!).
    prayers and the grace of God.
  • Good luck.
    Hey, can I have some ;)
    Cyril
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10710.msg130660#msg130660 date=1297715239]
    this is what you need:

an area or room set aside just for making qurban.
    a priest or deacon.
    lots of memorised psalms.
    special tools for marking the qurban.
    an oven used for nothing else.
    flour, water and yeast (NO SALT!).
    prayers and the grace of God.

I can be the Deacon, send me the latest plane ticket to your country, I'll be there ASAP!
  • thank you! i was wondering if any of you had the recipe for it? thank you so much again. pray for me as i continue to pray for you all.
  • What is the specific recipe though? How many cups of flour do you need etc.
  • i don't think their is an actual recipe (in terms of measurements, its not like making a cake).

But how much flour, how much yeast, and how much water (some even add sugar, they say it resembles the sweetness of christ, and it also aids in activating the yeast, but strictly speaking it should only be water flour and yeast) will differ depending on:

-the quantity/size of the orban u want (this determines the amount of flour)
    -the size of the room u have to make orban in (generally, the smaller the room the less yeast u will need as the room will heat up quicker, therefore activating the yeast faster. but beware if u add to much yeast you may be able to taste it in the orban- it doesnt taste/smell very pleasnt) 
    - the amount of water will depend on how soft you want the orban to be (the more water the softer the orban. but beware if u add too much water the dough becomes really soft and very difficult to handle).

Dont quote me but roughly for 1kg of flour use about 500mL of water (maybe even less). As for the yeast if u r using the powder yeast then roughly about 3-5 tablespoons per 1kg

Now making the orban will depend if u have a bread mixer or if u r just doing it by hand.

But firstly begin with prayer, and while u r making orban recite psalms or while u wait for the orban to rise read the psalms, or play recorded psalms.

Mixing using a bread mixer:

1) Now just add all the flour and yeast together (but make sure u have extra flour because u will need it!) and start the mixer.
    2) Slowly begin adding all the water until u see that the flour is beginning to hold onto each other. Don't add all the water in at once, just wait for it and let it hold itself together.
    3) By now u would find that the flour has become to look like dough, but not quite right i.e the dough is still sticking to the bowl. This is where u begin to slowly add the flour to the dough (make u sure you don't put it in the centre of the dough, but rather on the outside).
    Add the flour bit- by- bit until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl.

Let it mix for 10 - 15 mins

N.B: Make sure that this is actually a bread mixer, as the dough might become to thick for a regular cake mixer.

Mixing using your hand:

This tends to be more trickier than using a mixer, but its the original way that they used in egypt (and they still do in monasteries). You might require another person to help you though, by holding the bowl down for you and adding the water and flour for you- as both your hands will be occupied with mixing the flour and will get REALLY stick from the dough.

1) Add the flour and the yeast together in a big/deep bowl  (make sure u have extra flour because you will NEED IT), and mix.
    2) Now get someone to very slowly add the water (while they hold the bowl down for you, because it will tend to move) to give u time to mix the flour. This is the tricky part, as u have to establish a mixing method. At first the mixing will be easy, but as more water is added the flour will begin to hold itself and the mixing will more harder & harder and it is essential that u use both your hands. A good way to mix would be to turn the dough inside out on itself- i know this sounds confusing but it will make more sense when u actually do it. You will need to put A LOT of effort into mixing!
    3) First time things will get really messy, and the dough will just be sticking to your hands and the bowl, so the way to combat this is.... FLOUR. Just add flour to the part of the dough sticking to the bowl. Also put some on your hand and rub u r hand together until it comes off, another good way it to add oil to your hand and rub ur hands together
    4) Just keep mixing, and find the way u r suits u best for mixing. You could be mixing from 10- 30 mins, just be patient and continue mixing until u feel that the dough is no longer sticking that much to the bowl that much and the dough is also soft

just remember more water= softer dough

Now that u made the dough all the hard work is done. Most importantly ask for God help, and ask him to be with u.

The next part isn't that hard, but am just too lazy to type anymore, i'll hopefully write it 2mrw is anyone is interested. 

PPFM

• to complete the recipe you need the liturgy and several doses of repentance!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10710.msg130713#msg130713 date=1297800669]
    to complete the recipe you need the liturgy and several doses of repentance!

100% TRUE!!!
  • [quote author=Chirsts' servant link=topic=10710.msg130759#msg130759 date=1297860670]
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10710.msg130713#msg130713 date=1297800669]
    to complete the recipe you need the liturgy and several doses of repentance!

100% TRUE!!!

And a Deacon! I volunteer.