Egyptians Christian/Muslims Singing Hymns in Cairo

Cant believe how God can turn evil into good Look at whats happening in Egypt!

It was never allowed for Christians to preach or sing hymns or even pray in Public.

Comments

• [quote author=Pharaoh714 link=topic=10667.msg130030#msg130030 date=1297150223]
    Cant believe how God can turn evil into good Look at whats happening in Egypt!

It was never allowed for Christians to preach or sing hymns or even pray in Public.

I cannot believe for the life of me that what I'm seeing is actually Midan Il Tahrir, Cairo.

Its too.. surreal.
  • Wow...Christians praying and singing hymns like that in public...never thought I'd see something like that, with all the violence and oppression that goes on. Our God is truly great, and He has blessed Egypt once again. This is so...aww, man...I'm not even from there and I'm speechless. I can't even imagine how you folks must feel!

Thank you, God. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Please continue to work your miracles in Egypt, and provide protection and wisdom to the people. This is truly amazing.
  • Sorry to sound pessimistic, but it will be short-lived.  We have 1400 years of reality.
  • Within the same week there were church bombings, vandalism, and burnings.
    Were those events just random or by accident?
    Wake-up guys, do not beguiled by intended photo-ops that are allowed for the Western Media?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10667.msg130042#msg130042 date=1297166276]
    Within the same week there were church bombings, vandalism, and burnings.
    Were those events just random or by accident?
    Wake-up guys, do not beguiled by intended photo-ops that are allowed for the Western Media?

Lol.. im glad we have someone who thinks like you ILSM.

Let me tell you the current situation:

There is genuine good will towards Christians in Egypt - (by muslims). Many of the protesters in Tahrir Sq. are secularists. However, there is a sizeable population who is for Islamic law in Egypt and an Islamic State also.

Thanks to the internet, and our information age, news is able to travel fast and widespread now. Persecution of Christians was only heard amongst Christians in the past (simply because it was our problem). Now, whatever happens to us in the way of persecution, gets much widespread attention and we are gaining lots of sympathy.

In fact, no one has bothered to say this, but the perpetrators of the Alex bombing haven't even admitted it. I think its because they feel that ashamed about it, and its unjustifiable by ANY logic whatsoever.

We have the sympathy of a lot of muslims now, and they see how we are being treated.

You cannot deny that what happened in Tahrir was not important. Even if it will be short-lived, the fact remains: this has NEVER HAPPENED AT ALL!!!
  • Sasi,

I do live in reality--unfortunately.

There can never be brotherhood or democracy, because is incapable of those scenarios.

"Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat its mistakes."

I DON'T TRUST THEM AT ALL.  NOT IN THIS LIFETIME OR IN THE LIFETIME TO COME.  REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY RENDITIONS OF KUMBAYA ARE DONE TOGETHER.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10667.msg130042#msg130042 date=1297166276]

Speaking of photo-ops, when they showed medical care on CTV, my aunt said this never happens and this is all acted for the camera. Then I looked at the video and saw doctors suturing without gloves, "cleaning" a wound with non-sterile water rung out on a towel and so on. It's no wonder why there is such a high Hepatitis and infectious disease rate in Egypt. And this was the cleaned up version or Egyptian "reality tv"!!!
  • Rem,

I hate to tell you about Egyptian Medicine.
    Most times they don't even sterilize the instruments.

Part of the reason that Hep. C. is so prevalent is that they re-use syringes and needles.
    When you are admitted to the hospital you have to buy your own needles in order to
    insure that they will be sterile.
  • I'm still surprised how some of these bandages and dressings stay on despite all the grease.  I also don't see any blood on those dressings.

Photo-ops [mostly].
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10667.msg130045#msg130045 date=1297167186]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10667.msg130042#msg130042 date=1297166276].

In fact, no one has bothered to say this, but the perpetrators of the Alex bombing haven't even admitted it. I think its because they feel that ashamed about it, and its unjustifiable by ANY logic whatsoever.

We have the sympathy of a lot of muslims now, and they see how we are being treated.

You cannot deny that what happened in Tahrir was not important. Even if it will be short-lived, the fact remains: this has NEVER HAPPENED AT ALL!!!

Zoxasi, it did happen before. In the 50s, when they needed us to help defeat the British. and then again, when they wanted us to help fight Israel, and thats just modern history. Trust me, the ways they've used us in the past are even worse.

In the 50s, they actually allowed a priest to preach in a mosque. They know that all we want is peace with them, so they dangle in front of us like a piece of meat and then stab us in the back. They've done it so many times, I'm ashamed that it still works.

The Alex bombers aren't ashamed Zoxasi, they just realize that Egypt is being pressured to punish muslims for killing christians, and they don't want to take the punishment.
  • Epiphania,

Let's wait and see what the future holds. As Christians, we cannot keep on treating others based on their past sins. Its not right.

Where then is the forgiveness?

• [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=10667.msg130231#msg130231 date=1297270783]
    Epiphania,

Let's wait and see what the future holds. As Christians, we cannot keep on treating others based on their past sins. Its not right.

Where then is the forgiveness?

forgiveness does not automatically mean I have to be stupid in the future about what I expect from people. I can forgive people (who by the way have NOT shown evidence of any real repentance), but still be realistic about what I expect from them.

When they come and say I'm sorry, and then throw out the Koranic verses that talk about pertending to like Christians and then killing them wherever they are, that is when I'll stop considering the past when dealing with them. To do otherwise, I'm sorry to say, is optimistic to the point of foolishness.

Let's see what the future holds? I know someone personally who heard abouna's prophecy about Egypt. I'm confident about how the story ends. I just don't think we should be placing our hope in this revolution. Or in the secularity of these muslims. Theses hopes will fail us.
  • Epiphania,

You are sounding like me.  Only I am allowed to sound like me, because I am me.

I agree with your thoughts.

Actually, putting jokes aside for one second (really), when they start singing Kumbaya together, I will believe there is
    brotherhood.
  • Many of us used to be blind to see that Jihad has many faces. Jihad is not just slaughtering people for Islam, but it is also a systematic suppression of truth and propagation of lies.

We, ourselves, are not in any way amazed for the Bible has said:

Such teachings [Propaganda] come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. (1 Timothy 4:2)

• Is it naive of me to think that Egyptians are different that they do in fact have good will towards us?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12407793

See from the above report: its going around and the feeling of goodwill is there.

Am I being short sighted?

Maybe I am... lol

Well, no harm dreaming.
  • They just aired a promo for egyptian stability with copts and muslims acting peacefully together. Can someone find that and post it here? I cant find it anywhere.
    This is what I remember seeing:
    A coptic girl (they zoomed the camera to her hand and showed the cross) wearing an egyptian soccer jersey, and muslim women painting the iconostasis of a coptic church.
    This was shown on egyptian television (I think the prominent news channel there).
  • [quote author=davidschanter link=topic=10667.msg130389#msg130389 date=1297369942]
    They just aired a promo for egyptian stability with copts and muslims acting peacefully together. Can someone find that and post it here? I cant find it anywhere.
    This is what I remember seeing:
    A coptic girl (they zoomed the camera to her hand and showed the cross) wearing an egyptian soccer jersey, and muslim women painting the iconostasis of a coptic church.
    This was shown on egyptian television (I think the prominent news channel there).

This is great guys...
    I mean.. i doubt this is fake. This is the genuine feeling of people.

I was also skeptical over all this; but, let's face it - after demonstrating against your government, you're not going to lie about your feelings. Its a level of Social Honesty that has taken over Egypt.

I welcome it and I urge you also to build on it and respect the love that Muslims are showing us. This is the Egypt I want.
  • How could Muslim women be painting an iconostasis?
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10667.msg130392#msg130392 date=1297370242]
    How could Muslim women be painting an iconostasis?

Because they are Egyptian.

The reason is this:

Il masrayeen agda3a naass.

I hope that explains it.
  • That doesn't explain it.

No Muslim woman should be allowed to paint an iconostasis. Most Orthodox should not be allowed to paint an iconostasis.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10667.msg130414#msg130414 date=1297376621]
    That doesn't explain it.

No Muslim woman should be allowed to paint an iconostasis. Most Orthodox should not be allowed to paint an iconostasis.

I think they meant icon, not iconastasis.
  • Father peter, its probably just a christian painting. Muslims don't believe in painting religious figures. They think its a sin.
  • I believe the issue of the iconostasis relates to the function of the Ministry of Antiquities and renovations that are done at the protected sites such as in Old Cairo.

There are manufacturing companies for iconostases that employ muslims, but there is no situation where a Coptic Church will employ a muslim woman as a laborer towards working on an iconostasis in the church itself.