Pledging Sorority/Fraternity?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Okay so I attend a University where they have black, white, hispanic and asain multicultural sororities and fraternities. I've found myself very interested in one of them and have great interest in joining. But I dont want to pledge this sorority if it will contradict with my Christian Orthodox beliefs. I do believe that pledging can help me become more involved on campus and benefit me in networking. So I'm not sure if it does or doesn't contradict?

Comments

• "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify." 1 Corinthians 10:23

Sororities are indeed a great way to network and make new friends, as well as a good way to simply have fun. Inherently, there is nothing wrong with them, but as stated above, you should be very very careful. You can join the sorority and maintain your Christian values and even if they party sometimes you don't join in, or, conversely, the sorority can weaken you and eventually you will lose yourself. You should discuss with your FOC and see what he thinks as well. Good luck!
  • Personally, I would stay away. Joining a Sorority or Frat will lead down a bad road. There are good opportunities to network, get involved, and make friends in other ways. Why not join other clubs, or a campus ministry, like Agape or Intervarsity Christian Fellowship?