Is Adultary Inherited?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi,

I'm not sure, but I remember hearing from some Church councelor that apparently adultary is inherited.

i.e. that if the Father has committed adultary, then this is passed down to his children/grandchildren? - or they are most likely to fall into the same sin.

Is any of that true, or have i misunderstood.

Thanks

Comments

• You didn't say what answer you wanted to hear :P
    I'll let someone else tell you that we can't inherit sin so I don't get called a fanatic again.
  • We cannot inherit sin.

But the examples we set our children and grandchildren influence them and bear upon them, for good and for ill.

Many children who grow up in broken homes are damaged and go on to form broken relationships themselves. This is not genetic, it is environmental. Children who are not shown how to live will grow up not knowing how to live.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10195.msg124686#msg124686 date=1292449699]
    We cannot inherit sin.

But the examples we set our children and grandchildren influence them and bear upon them, for good and for ill.

Many children who grow up in broken homes are damaged and go on to form broken relationships themselves. This is not genetic, it is environmental. Children who are not shown how to live will grow up not knowing how to live.

Father Peter

Thanks fr. Peter,

Did you also hear about that anyway?

What reminded me was the story of John Terry's brother.. he had an affair with his team mate's girlfriend. When his friend found out, he committed suicide. What's amazing is that John Terry himself also had an affair with his team mate's wife a few years ago.

I was just thinking if it runs in the family??
  • I think there is a proverb which goes something like iron shapes iron and the behaviour of a man is shaped by those around him. Scripture deals a lot with the problem of inherited sin (I mean this in the sense of what we adopt from our parents).  We learn how to behave like our parents before we learn to think and rationalise.  Parents have a huge responsibility to raise their children in the right way and we have a huge responsibility to break the cycle of sin which we may have learned from our parents.
  • I agree with Fr. Peter mainly..
    I don't think sin can be inherited... but usually what you group up with, and mainly as a kid, you would see grown ups and parents do certain things that may be good or bad and kids usually follow as they get older.

This is also true with kids at school.. if they see their teachers do something not right, kids will tend to believe almost everything a teacher does is right. And even if they can't do it at that age, they will grow up thinking something is right when it's not.

It's all about surroundings and the environment we're put in.