Christian Sayings

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

I was having a chat with a devout atheist friend of mine about a project and he used the phrase "the 11th hour" to describe a situation where "there is one last chance or window of opportunity to act to do something, afterwhich it is too late".

I told him "Do you know that this is from the Bible?"
He said "No. I had no idea".

What other phrases are there that we use daily that come from the Bible?

I would like to build up a list of phrases that are commonly used whose roots originate from the Bible.

This is remarkable - because people who use them may not consider themselves as Christian, yet they are using words from the Bible that they agree with.

Here's a few phrases that I know come from the Bible:

* Love makes the world go round
God is Love.

* What goes around comes around - i.e. what you do to others

Matthew 7:12
12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Luke 6:31
31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

What other sayings are there.. there maybe even renditions of the same saying but ultimately their roots come from the Bible.

Most likely, those of you doing Management courses or Courses in World Class Negotiations will come across Biblical sayings.

I remember, we had a training course in Customer Management once, and believe me, at the end, I felt like the instructor was going to say "Amen. Let's stand up and pray now". lol .. because literally EVERYTHING he said just came from the Bible..

* Judging others - do not judge! Be patient before judging.
* Put yourselves in the customers shoes when they get angry
* Walk the extra mile
* Turn the other cheek
* Love never fails

lol... I felt it was more of a sunday school lesson rather than a Corporate Training course in Management.

Comments

• I think biblical phraseology is not in use so much as when I was young but;

Red sky at night....

Casting pearls before swine. (I once heard of a cynical schoolteacher say his job was casting fake pearls before real swine).

The meek shall inherit the earth (used in all kinds of contexts, usually ironically.)

Suffer little children.

Daily bread

Get thee behind me Satan.

Falling by the wayside.

I shall no doubt find more and others will add to the list.

Good post
  • My old manager had a verse on his desk that said:

"He who kills by the sword, will die by the sword."

I asked him what that meant (for him!) , and he said to me enthusiastically :"Yes! I put that on my desk to remind me that how hard I am on others, I will suffer the same consequences".

Its so amazing that we are all using Christian sayings, yet for some odd reason, people aren't open to being Christian.

Its like they want to be surrounded by Christianity, but they hate to be part of it.

• "It is more blessed to give than to receive." -Acts 20:35
    This is especially (ironically) used around Christmas time.

On a possibly unrelated side note, Christ never said "When I forgive, I forget" as people seem to always attribute to him. I have no idea why that is.
  • Touch wood - I know that "Touch wood" when hearing of something bad is referring to the Cross because it was wood.... lol
    I remember saying "Touch Wood" a lot in high school, and then we'd end up banging on the desks at school and having fun lol... good times. But then this one time I heard my mum say it in Arabic... so it really makes me wander it's origins.....

Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin - Have no idea where this came from.. but it's awesome mentioning it to friends, Christians or not... they love it. It almost sounds like the gangsta version "Don't hate the Playa, Hate the Game" hehe

Just my thoughts....

Cheers
  • The famous chapter (I think its 3) in Ecclesiastes that begins "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven" - and the common saying "there's a time for everything."

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

Check this site out: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bible-phrases-sayings.html