Is Changing Religions in Egypt Forbidden?

edited November 2010 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Is changing your religion in Egypt forbidden?

it seems fine for someone going from Christianity to Islam, but why does the government object for those who convert from Islam to Christianity?

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/christian-convert-stands-trial

I thought Egyptian law was based on Islamic Law, but it wasn't complete Sharia. I thought muslims also tell us that there is NO COMPULSION in religion, yet there appears to be compulsion.

Which is it??

You can see from the case of  Siham Mahmoud who became a Christian in 2004, she was not permitted to change her religion. Many other converts to Christianity were forbidden to change their religion on their ID cards, but I didnt expect them to face criminal charges for doing so.

There are many cases like Siham's, and with each case, they were forbidden from leaving the country. I thought religion was a private affair and that it didnt concern the state?

I'm just curious, but what is the situation where you live in your countries with respect to converts from Islam. For example, in the UK and France, I know many ex muslims. I see this a lot in fact. What about where you live? Is there a surge in attendance by ex muslims?

I'd love to know.

Thanks

Comments