Fate

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i know that our religon doesnt believe in fate
but i sometimes have trouble defrentiating between fate, destiny, and how God already knows whats going to happen in our lives.
so... any words of wisdome
please post :o

Comments

• This is a topic I am confused over as well. Any help for SMS and I? Thanks in advance.

Through the prayers: of the saints of this day: each one by his name: O Lord, grant us the forgiveness of our sins.
    - Chris
  • hey guys,

From what i know I think the Answer is that God knows our fate or destiny or future or whatever you want to call it, thats why every time i talk to my priest about something in the future he always says "ensha alla" -God willing because we never know whats going to happened. There is noting certain in this world as we all know through our experiences. Even though we have free will and are able to control a little of our future God Still holds the rest according to his will. If in the bible it also says that not even the ranks of angels know whats going to happen how are some humans going to tell your future. ex. miss cleo. This is only my way that i think of this topic

-mina
  • when talking about the topic of fate or destiny... you have to be careful because your borderline talking about predestination (Catholic belief)... the fact that God is omnipotent and knows all doesn't change the fact that we have free will. us saying that He knows what we're gonna do puts Him in the frame of time... but He isn't.. He's above time and our limited minds. He is time's creator but not a part of time so you can't exactly put Him in the picture of hour and day and year since to Him it is all happening currently (for lack of a better word). Past, present and future are all NOW for Him... so even though He knows what we're we will do, He hopes, in the role of our benevolent God, that we will choose His will as our own. Not that it isn't within His power... but it's more the gift of free-will if anything.
  • i agreee...just because he knews we're gonna do something wrong, doesn't mean that he made us do it. he just knew it was gonna happen, he didn't make it happen. One thing that many people blame God for is death..God doesn't make anybody die...but he knows when they willl die. like mary said..its all 'now' for him.
  • thank u for all responses
    but im still a bit confused
    our church says we don't believe in fate... and i think destiny too
    so what is the difference between fate and God knowing what will happen?
    Is it all planned out as fate is believed to be? etc... ???
    any explanations, please feel free to post ;)
  • no...you life being planned out is not believed by the Orthodox church. if it were true, then it would mean that for every time u commit a sin, that God MADE you do it, because He planned it for you like that. but that isn't true at all. Predestination is like...[here's a very poor example], somebody sitting down and writing a list of things that he wants you to do...and you do those things word for word. But that isn't the case. God gave us free will. The simplest way i could put it is...God knows what were gonna do, BUT he doesn't make us do it. If our life was predestined, then we wouldn't have free-will. and we'd be living our life as if it was all planned out in a manual. i hope this makes things a little clearer
  • not a bad example at all Paul. You've helped a great deal. Thanks and God Bless :)

Who fasted for us: forty days and forty nights: in order to save us from our sins.
    - Chris
  • but isnt it planned out already... i dont want to use those words, but i guess i will
    because doesn't God already know ur every move
    i mean wut if u change ur mind last minute, he knows that too
    i know this is a hard topic to explain... but im still a bit lost
  • see the thing is... it's not planned as in written in stone... His knowledge has nothing to do with our decision... but out knowledge of Him should make us alter those decisions to honor His path.... "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. " Lu 13:24. So say for example we choose not to take the tough road...and take the more chosen path... that's a decision we made and He knows it... He weeps for us... but again it's our decision. fate implies the inevitable and also implies that it is the reason for everything we do. But the idea of fate is against Christ because He is the Logos (coming from greek for "logic"). If (which He is) He is the Logos, then what part does fate take if the role of Reason is taken? nothing, since it doesn't control us... make a bit more sense?
  • whoa Mary, nice job explaining that 1....tat was a toughy.

- Chris
  • thats a great way to put it. and just to answer SMS's last question, if you change ur mind last minute about something...He knew from the beginning that you were gonna do that. and no matter how many times u change ur mind, He KNOWS which decision ur gonna choose at the end..yet YOUR the one that chooses it, now Him.
  • AHA
    u know that feeling of overwhelming joy when u something goes off in ur head and u totally get it!
    thats how i feel right now! lol
    thanx a lot everyone!
    and if anyone has anything else to add... please do! :D
  • lolllll [thats all i can say.] lol
  • God desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth:
    - "For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
    Who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth".(1 Timothy 2:3-4)."
    -" The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance."(2 Peter 3:9).
    -"God shows no partiality" (Acts 10:34)(Romans 2:11; Ephesians 6:9).
    God is fair. Moreover, it is His expressly revealed will and desire that every person ultimately be saved. Yet, according to Revelation 21:8, some will indeed perish forever, "the lake of fire which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." Therefore, it is absolutely clear that it is not God's predetermination that puts them there

God told Moses, "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; THEREFORE CHOSE LIFE, that both you and your descendants may live" (Deuteronomy 30:19)

God is all-knowing; His infinite knowledge surpases all knowledge, He knows everything that we are going to do, but yet we have free will to do as we want,God does not force us to do anything, but yet, whatever path we end up chosing, He already knows, not that He is determining for us and we must follow whatever is planned, but that we are, by ourselves, choosing the path, either the path that will lead us to the true light that shines forever,Jesus Christ, eternal life, or the path of darkness that leads to everlasting death. Those who follow and submit to God will receive the blessings of God on their lives , and will have started on the path to eternal life. So choose LIFE! remember God knows your fate already, but its really YOUR CHOICE that makes the difference ;)
  • thanx ;D
  • It doesn't necesarely have to be God's wil that happens. Take for example poverty or people starving.
    That's not God's will or Fate, it's just an action and reaction. People don't want to share their richdom or devide food equally among all the people in the world, so consequently people get poor and starve...but we shouldn't forget that all things work together for good to them that love God (Romans 8:28) So it seems that God has a plan for everybody's salvation, and people are free to chose as they please...
  • I remember one of the Servents of my church telling me that you don't have a set out path, and you can always change your life, but god just knows how you will change and which path you will take.
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=1;threadid=247;start=15#msg10046 date=1094068931]
    So Fate isn't real ?? ???

Can someone please answer her..... cause i'm getting confused too... again
  • Lol. No, fate is not real. Fate is something happening without your ability to change it. If that's true, then we don't really have free will. If I tell you, "Marmar, I would really like you to go to Harvard University," and for whatever reason, I know that a lot of good things are going to happen to you at Harvard, then this is my will for you. But you may decide, "Well, I don't want to be a lawyer, I've decided that I want to go to Stanford." So you end up going to Stanford, this is your will. There are two things that are commonly mistaken, God's will, and what really happens in our life. We make a lot of wrong turns in life, and this is not God's will, but these may be to our benefit, which may be one reason why God lets them happen.

An example I've heard is that it is like a helicopter over a parade. The person in the helicopter can see the whole parade at the same time. He can see that the marching band is five minutes away from Bob in the red shirt. But Bob can only see the marching band when it comes his way. I hope I helped.
  • we always mistake God's Omnipotence with His Power.. just because He knows all doesn't mean we are not deciding factors in how it plays out.. His will for us is that we become His children and behave like it... our "fate" or where we end up rather is in our own hands as a direct result of our faith and works...

btw.. yes, i copied and pasted this from the "destiny" thread.