Depressed

edited December 1969 in Prayer Requests
Hey everyone, I've been going through a rough time lately and I've been depressed for the past two days. I'm praying but nothing seems to comfort me. Please include me in your prayers.

thank you

Comments

• smile Jesus loves you... I know exactly how you feel... just remember, it can always be worst!

give God all this weight... He's strong enough to carry it, after all, He is the Almighty!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el barka!
  • Have you tried praying the psalms?? There is always comfort in them.

"The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed,
            A refuge in times of trouble." -Psalm 9:9

"For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted;
            Nor has He hidden His face from Him;
            But when He cried to Him, He heard." -Psalm 22:24

"Weeping may endure for a night,
            But joy comes in the morning. " -Psalm 30:5

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" -Psalm 34: 18

"You, who have shown me great and severe troubles,
            Shall revive me again,
            And bring me up again from the depths of the earth.
    You shall increase my greatness,
            And comfort me on every side." -Psalm 71:20-21

• Thanks guys. Well either your prayers really worked or my FOC is a saint because I'm already feeling better. Thanks!

"(23) Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; (24) And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24

God is good
  • It is good for you to be sad on earth for a while then, spend eternity joyful in heaven as the apostle said "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret. " (2 Cor 7:10) The person who spends his life in pleasures and laughter, paying no attention to eternal life and negligent of his sins, will not benefit by these false and temporary joys when he stands in front of the pulpit of the just God. Thus, we see that the life of shedding tears was the characteristic of the Sons of God and not only of the repentants who had turned from sin. Weeping was the distinguishing trait of great
    saints. The Holy Bible and the history of the church give us many examples about the tears of those saints, of which we quote some. One of these saints is St Arsanius the great desert ascetics. I am astonished!! Who can find a fall belonged to that saint? Arsanius, the man of silence and tranquility who lived in loneliness. A man whom Patriarch Theophilus used to ask for a word of benefit and request him to accept his visit. He was a man of prayers and spent the whole night praying
    from sunset till sunrise. However, due to his extreme love, he wept to the extent that his eye-lashes fell. While he was plaiting palm leaves he put a towel on his knees for the tears to fall in. As soon as the name of the Lord was mentioned he wept because of his heart’s hypersensitivity towards God. He recalled to his mind his human defects and his late repentance to God. A very short time before his death Pope Theophilus said about him "O Arsanius, you are blessed because you wept, your
    whole life, for this hour.” Saint Isidorus, the priest of the monastic dwelling called ‘the cells’ was one of the known persons who wept much. He was a father of three thousand monks. The devils feared him and could not pass in front of his cell or the neighbouring cells. He was a man of vision. He was famous for casting the devils out. When he prayed he wept with such a
    deep voice that his pupil, who lived next door, heard him. Once this neighbour said to him “O my father! why do you weep?” He said “Because of my sins.” The pupil said “Even you, my father, have sins to weep for?” He said “Believe me, my son, if God revealed my sins, three or four persons would not be sufficient to share me my weeping.” We on the other hand fill the world with filthiness, while God still squeezes our eyes out, as if he is pressing on a stone made of flint, in order that one tear may fall down but in
    vain. The saints weep all their life because of one sin; or shed tears without any sin, but we plunge into sin easily as drinking some water, yet, we do not weep! Our hearts are insensitive as if God whom we have saddened is not beloved by us.
    Here is another example for sensitivity of weeping because of sin: Saint Paphnotius: He was one of the pupils of Saint Macarius the great, he succeeded him to the spiritual leadership of the monastic dwelling in sceties. He was a great saint whom God gifted with the power of casting the devils out. Pope Theophilus used to ask him for a word of benefit. One day, this great saint said to his pupils “My sons, when I was a lad, while walking on the road, I saw a cucumber on the ground. I thought it might have fallen from the porters. I took it and ate it. Whenever I remember that incidence I weep.” This happened when he was a child. But even after he had grown up and became a monk and a father for thousands of monks of great sanctity, he still said, ‘whenever I remember that incidence I weep.’ Every night, you, yourself, stand before God with a broken heart and say “O my Lord, give me springs of tears to weep for my haughtiness, my stubbornness, my passions and my anger. Give me a spring full of tears to weep for my love of the world, my resentment, my enmity and my love of victory over others. O' my Lord, give me springs filled with tears to weep for the sins uttered by my tongue, sins committed by my body and sins of thoughts which are uncounted.” If you examine yourself you shall find many reasons which compel you to weep.

HH Pope Shenouda