You should be proud to be Orthodox!

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10774706

This is scandalous! I've even seen something just as bad in the Roman Catholic Church. Some priest gave the Body of Christ to a protestant woman to distribute to everyone else.

Comments

• Dang, the priest better make sure the dog is baptized next time
  • I don't know what that priest was thinking, it clearly says in Matthew 7:6, "do not give what is holy to the dogs".  ;D ;D ;D
  • I've been told I look like a dog.
  • Wow, what was this guy thinking, but it's an Anglican church, it's the least of their worries, the fact that the priest was a Lady is just weird, and their church is dogmatically incorrect to the point of non termintation. LOl.
  • "Communion bread is considered by Anglicans to represent the body of Jesus Christ."

I think that's the bigger problem.
  • Guys, I didnt post this is a light humoured article to share. this is sickening. It is shocking.

I posted it to highlight a few issues:

Such lack of respect for what is Holy is making many anglicans look to more orthodox churches.
    Some have gone to the catholics, and some have come to the Orthodox. However, the way I see it, most (from both sides) will come to the orthodox.
  • insha-allah  :)
  • I have a question about this though, Is their bread that they prepare for the service really turned into the Body or just bread to remember our Lord? Because their church doesn't follow the Bible too well and there are many things wrong with them, so i was just wondering is it really transformed?
  • hmm well I guess not. If they only believe that it just represents the Body and Blood - not that it actually is - why would God bother transforming it?
  • no one should be proud to be orthodox because of this article...why do we expose the faults of others when God can easily expose our faults...we know what that priest did was wrong, now what?
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=9508.msg117209#msg117209 date=1280377594]
    no one should be proud to be orthodox because of this article...why do we expose the faults of others when God can easily expose our faults...we know what that priest did was wrong, now what?

Because this is the reason why we are Orthodox - because our Church does not give to dogs what is Holy. Its unthinkable ANYTHING like this happening in our Church.

Now, our church is not perfect, but the way we treat our sacraments are. Its not perfect in terms of perhaps domestic issues. But it is perfect in the administration of sacraments. This IS Orthodoxy: The administration, the attitude and the respect towards the Church sacraments is perfect. This is not man-made.

Problems arise in the Church perhaps due to domestic issues (a bishop may not get along with another bishop, or a priest may not have been wise with respect to how he treats someone in the Church) - but regardless - never would there be anything remotely like this happening.

This is why I AM orthodox!

I myself was invited to attend an Ecumenical Mass at the Roman Catholic Church in paris. They invited an Orthodox Christian (ME), a protestant Christian, an Anglican, a baptist etc, to pray for the unity of the Churches.
    The Roman Catholic priest asked me, at the end of the mass: "Would you like to distribute the Body of Christ"? I said "Father, I am Orthodox, and above all, this should be done by you." - so, guess what he did??

He (the RC Priest), gave the Body of Christ to the protestant woman to distribute. She doesn't believe it was the Body of Christ. And all this was to make us "feel at home".

This would NEVER happen in an orthodox Church. It is ironic that after attending this mass that was directed at Ecumenical Unity, I felt that I really did not want to be part of the Roman Catholic Church. I have NEVER seen anything in my life as disrespectful as this in a Church.

That is why I am Orthodox, and the point is this Sod:

Others think like me also. Others who happen to be Anglican, Catholic, Baptist think like me also, and they will have NO choice BUT to become Orthodox.

We expect there to be problems in ANY Church - sure! Problems of people not getting along, foolish clergy perhaps.. but even if a clergy in the Orthodox Church was stupid - let's say, his stupidity would not let him disrespect or compromise anyway the respect due to the Holy Sacraments simply because we follow certain unbreakable rules of protocol.

An orthodox priest, during the Administration of any of the 7 sacraments, CANNOT just do whatever he wants... or say whatever he wants, or behave in a way that he wants (no matter if his intentions are good or bad). He MUST follow the protocol of the Church. WORD FOR WORD.

Every mass, baptism, marriage, confession etc that I have attended has been EXACTLY like the one before it. No change. Whether in Egypt, Canada, America, Belgium, France, England, Ireland, - you name it! All the priests were different. Some priests, I didnt get along with, some I did.. but ultimately, the sacraments were 100% the same. The way they were treated was EXACTLY the same. The words used, the protocol, the gestures were 100% the same as those done anywhere else.

The ONLY difference is that perhaps ONE priest may decide to include the Gregorian liturgy (or parts of it) during the Liturgy of Saint Basil, and MAYBE a deacon MAY feel tempted to sing some doxology that is rare for a saint that he happens to love, but that's about it.

Outside the scope of administration of the sacraments, the priest can indulge in any folly he may wish, but that's fine - because that's in his own private life (if that's the case!).

I remember one priest (Abouna Daniel), he ran his own prayer meeting, and it was charismatic. THE PRAYER MEETING! not the mass, not the liturgy, not a baptism, not a marriage.. A PRAYER MEETING!! - He was excommunicated in a new york minute!! lol

HAHAH

I mean, YES YOU SHOULD BE GLAD, if not proud to be orthodox!! Its a huge reassurance and blessing.
  • hahahahahahahhahhahahahahhahahahhahahahah ... why would he do that lol
  • i can see a profound spirit of judgement in this post. i think before we quote matt.7:6 we should bare in mind the first verse of the very same chapter: 'judge not that you be not judged'! how easy is to be selective in what part of the scripture we prefer to obey!...
    otherwise, may i say that none of those who have quoted verse 7 have justified their interpretation of the text. can anyone explain what is in view when it says 'what is holy' and who are 'the dogs'?..
    it is very easy to get carried away with the hypocritical impulse disclosed in verse 4 (that is just before v.7) and start putting everyone right ...
  • [quote author=the_least link=topic=9508.msg117132#msg117132 date=1280258278]
    I don't know what that priest was thinking, it clearly says in Matthew 7:6, "do not give what is holy to the dogs".  ;D ;D ;D
    [quote author=lightening link=topic=9508.msg119171#msg119171 date=1284073701]
    i can see a profound spirit of judgement in this post. i think before we quote matt.7:6 we should bare in mind the first verse of the very same chapter: 'judge not that you be not judged'! how easy is to be selective in what part of the scripture we prefer to obey!...
    otherwise, may i say that none of those who have quoted verse 7 have justified their interpretation of the text. can anyone explain what is in view when it says 'what is holy' and who are 'the dogs'?..
    it is very easy to get carried away with the hypocritical impulse disclosed in verse 4 (that is just before v.7) and start putting everyone right ...

I put those 3 very wide laughing faces for a reason. I usually don't do that after quoting a verse from the Bible. I apologize if my joke was not apparent (or funny) and I also apologize for joking with scripture.
  • What does it matter? First off communion is symbolic to anglicans, and second the "priest" is a woman! It is a double whammy! I am officially no longer shocked by the actions of protestants!
  • Homosexuality is wrong in the eyes of the orthodox and the catholic because we believe that God made man and woman together ONLY!  He didn't create man and man so why should we be like what God made.  Also why would anyone want to be homosexual in the first place?  People will make fun of them and they would want to commit suicide.  So, technically, that would be pointless
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=9508.msg119187#msg119187 date=1284098565]
    What does it matter? First off communion is symbolic to anglicans, and second the "priest" is a woman! It is a double whammy! I am officially no longer shocked by the actions of protestants!
    You shouldn't be suprised because that is what the catholics do also, so really that is not shocking at all that they do that
  • [quote author=the_least link=topic=9508.msg117132#msg117132 date=1280258278]
    I don't know what that priest was thinking, it clearly says in Matthew 7:6, "do not give what is holy to the dogs".  ;D ;D ;D
      Apparently, that priest didn't read that part of the bible or only took one part of the verse and ignored the rest.  That would be typical of a non-orthodox person like the heresy of Arius. 
  • Seriously? Resurrecting a year old thread on a news story!
  • [quote author=christiangirl link=topic=9508.msg147294#msg147294 date=1320905770]
    Apparently, that priest didn't read that part of the bible or only took one part of the verse and ignored the rest.  That would be typical of a non-orthodox person like the heresy of Arius.

"Many times have I spoken and regretted it, but never have I regretted my silence." -St. Arsenius
  • Christian girl, i know you are new to the forum, so please watch where you post because you seem to be posting your thoughts in the wrong threads.
  • Hi Christian Girl,

Typically it is advised that you don't make posts on a thread that no one has responded to for over a month unless you have something very important and new to contribute, or want to "bump" it and reopen it to responses. Otherwise people will get mad at re-reading a year-old thread instead of something new.

• This may have actually been the first thread I ever responded to.
  • GUYS!
    i wold like to point out this is a discussion called " You should be proud to be orthodox"....

and its under the NON ORTHODOX INQUIRIES...

LOOOOOOL....way to go guys ;D