Apostles Fast???

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Selam everyone,

I know it is long overdue for me to ask this question but...

What is the goal of this fast?
Also when
Like the Nineveh/Jonah fast is for repentance and stuff.
Please explain it clearly for me
Thank you

May God Bless you all and help you to answer this question

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • that's right,
    we are repenting from sin (as always during a fast) and asking God the Holy Spirit to bless our lives as He did the early apostles. we actively look for ways to share our faith and to make our lives pure and full of love so those who don't know God can learn from our lives as well as our words.
    as we stop and think before putting anything in our mouths, so we should stop and think before anything comes out of our mouths.
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the name of the Father+ and of the Son+ and of the Holy Spirit+, the One True God. Amen.[/glow]

Basically, we fast because the Lord fasted and said that we should and would be fasting: "when you fast..." Fasting prepares us for special events and special manifestation of God's grace - which is why we fast before the Feasts! In this case the Apostles' Fast is a spiritual preparation that comes before the remembrance of the martyrdom of Sts Peter and Paul in Rome (June 29th).
    The Early Church fasted in response to the example and teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Eastern Church observes fasting periods based on the writings of Isaiah 58:6-7, 1st Corinthians 7:5, Matthew 17:21 and Joel 2:12.

Hope this helps!
  • Correction: the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul is on June 28th. Thanks.
  • In our church its July 12th for reference, I believe Boricua is speaking about the Eastern Orthodox Church
  • I am not sure that anyone keeps the feast on the 28th June?

The British Orthodox keep it on June 29th, and of course the Copts do also, but according to the Julian calendar which is presently 13 days later, so the 12th July on the Western calendar.

The Greeks keep it on the 29th June, the Russians on the 12th July. The Armenians seem to keep the feast on the 27th December? The Romans keep it on the 29th June.

Father Peter