Conversion

edited June 2010 in Faith Issues
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• They won't change their ways and they have no salvation. Its the same concept as if you ask after you die and realize you wasted your life in sin can we repent then and say oh wait I made a mistake forgive me now after the fact. No of course not, you get your punishment. Its too late for repentance and too late for turning back. The demons are in this state.
  • I heard once that angels and demons can no longer make this decision. There was a time long ago when they could decide to align with God or against Him and after that they no longer have free will to pick a side.

Someone please correct me if this is not the orthodox viewpoint
  • Yes, i believe that they had a choice but they never picked the right one therefore they don't get that choice anymore.
  • As I've heard, Angels got no repentance, because they've seen God and they have lived within him in his Glory. Instead, man, hasn't seen God nor lived within his kingdom.
  • [quote author=PaNo5 link=topic=9306.msg114955#msg114955 date=1275487557]
    As I've heard, Angels got no repentance, because they've seen God and they have lived within him in his Glory. Instead, man, hasn't seen God nor lived within his kingdom.

Pano that's not true adam and eve had a face to face interaction between thmselves and God. God would be in the garden with them, which is why when the sinned they literally hid themselves, and said when we heard You walking in the garden we hid ourselves because we were naked. And He responded to them. The only difference is they didn't see His kingdom and were tempted by the devil. The devil was not tempted by anyone. 
  • we already know there is no hope for the salvation of satan..he has already been judged and deemed worthy to inherit the eternal fire.. however he shall be judged again by the saints on the last day.. we shall see God's judgment as perfect
  • References that would be useful:
    St. John Damascus, Exposition. About Angels
    St. Basil the Great, About the Holy Spirit, XVI
    The Catechism of the (Eastern) Orthodox Church by H.E. Panteleimon Lampadarios Q 131, 139

According to John, they had the "authority and the freedom either to remain and to progress in goodness and virtue or to turn to evil".

And according to St. Basil the great, because "the heavenly powers are not by nature Holy", "they receive it by being careful and hard-working" "through the communion of the Holy Spirit, God grants them the perfection" and thus "hold to their Order by insisting on remaining in goodness".
    He then uses the imagery of the heated iron, that most of us are familiar to demonstrate this.

However, it is understood that they received this holiness from the beginning, unlike us. However, they were not perfected, except by the Holy Spirit and their good use of their good will according to Lampadarios. After the Test of their wills, they were "made to be steadfast".

Lampadarios says, "Thus, because of their free choice of virtue, the Angels became unshakaeable in their faith and loyalty through the Grace of God."

Hope this helps.