edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• They are not physical places. They are beyond the physical realm of the universe.
  • wait... what technological advancements??? how can any earthly technology reveal God's kingdom?? only what is from God can help us understand God, and that is the Holy Bible.. so lets stick with that!
  • but again, science has proven otherwise

I'm very curious too! I know modern science denies the spiritual.
    Please, can you clarify this a bit more?

GBU
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Both are located over sky :)
  • [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=9286.msg114930#msg114930 date=1275440487]
    I'm not really sure how to clarify lol  ???

but why did Jesus ascend? if it is not a physical place "above the clouds", if you will?
    Wouldnt he have just disappear?

You are over thinking this in terms of where heaven is, Why does it even matter? There are many reasons Christ ascended, in a theological sense but I will let someone with more knowledge and sources answer that for you. You ask why did Christ ascend like that and not just disappear? Well, why did He choose to die on the Cross and not any other means? Its simply the way He choose to manifest what is happening. Don't over think things and take things such as this at face value. It won't help you in your journey for salvation.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have a very good book on the Ascension but I can't find...

Our Lord Jesus Christ's Ascension has at least these three purposes:
    - Ascending the eternal Lamb of God by His own Power to His Glorious Throne
    - Lifting up our manhood nature he saved with Him to Heaven
    - Sending and pouring the Holy Spirit of God first to His Apostles to preach the Gospel

If I find the book this should be more accurate for me to explain!

GBU
  • I read that Jesus didn't physically ascend
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=9286.msg115077#msg115077 date=1275680520]
    I read that Jesus didn't physically ascend

Thats a heresy, if He didn't physically ascend then where is He? He ascended in the flesh to raise our flesh opening a way for us to reach the Kingdom. Christ is in Heaven physically, not simply in spirit.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=9286.msg114936#msg114936 date=1275442500]
    You ask why did Christ ascend like that and not just disappear? Well, why did He choose to die on the Cross and not any other means? Its simply the way He choose to manifest what is happening.

There are many reasons why Christ chose the cross specifically. As for the ascension, I don't have enough knowledge to answer, but I'm sure there also are reasons.

[quote author=jydeacon link=topic=9286.msg114936#msg114936 date=1275442500]
    Don't over think things and take things such as this at face value. It won't help you in your journey for salvation.

There are some things that we must just accept, but I think DimyanCoptic has a valid question and that it's answer may help us in our journey of salvation.
  • This is just my stab at the question of why didn't Christ just disappear but ascended into heaven. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

I think it gives us hope that there is somewhere else, where we will go if we are faithful. Also, it reminds us that Jesus is coming back from heaven on a cloud just as He left. This is why He said in His last conversation with his disciples, "In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know." (John 14:2-4)
  • I also found this on copticheritage.org :

The ascension of Christ Himself was part of His plan for our ascension as well. He ascended to prepare a place for us in His Kingdom. He ascended with our human body to give us the ability to ascend as well. He ascended so He may seat us and glorify us with Him. He "raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:6). The Lord spoke three promises regarding His Ascension. The first was, "Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you" (Jn. 16:7). The second promise was, "I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you" (Jn. 14:18). His third promise was, "I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to Myself" (Jn. 12:32). For this reason we rejoice on this day on which the Lord Jesus Christ raised our eyes from the dust of the earth, so that we may direct our thoughts to spiritual matters concerning the eternal life above. The disciples themselves "were gazing up toward heaven" (Acts 1:10). Our thoughts have been directed to Heaven, and our goal is to live with Christ in His Kingdom.

In His ascension to the heavens, Christ sat at the right hand of the Father with power and glory. Daniel the prophet prophesized of this in a vision, as he "watched in the night visions, I saw one like a human being coming with the clouds of heaven. And he came to the Ancient one and was presented before him. To him was given dominion and glory and kingship, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not pass away, and his kingship is one that shall never be destroyed" (Dan. 7:13-14). By sitting at the right hand of the Father is to say that the equality between Him and the Father is everlasting. Since Christ was with God before all ages, it was all Christ's as well for they are both one. He took from what is the Father's in glory and power, all of which was Christ's before emptying Himself to take the form of a servant. Therefore, the ascension of the Lord Jesus Christ and His sitting at the right hand of the Father is a declaration of His eternal reign, and a means of power for us to overcome sin.