Resurrection Re-enactment

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Ekhristos Anesty!

Pi-Ekhristos Af-tonf!

Hello,

I was wondering about the meaning of the Resurrection Re-enactment (performed during the Resurrection Liturgy - taken from Ps 24).  Does anyone know?  Or do you know of a book or article that explains it?  Its origin and meaning?

Thanks!

Comments

• I would like to know the answer to this as well.. anybody??
  • [quote author=yousiegtennis link=topic=9063.msg112913#msg112913 date=1270623043]
    i heard this explanation but i don't remember from where...this could be wrong...
    the meaning of it is the re-enactment of Christ entering into heaven (because the doors of Paradise were closed before) so this is a re-enactment of Christ standing in front of them after His death and opening them.

pray for me.

oh well yeah, that's what I know it as too. However, I wanted to know about its origin..when and why the church started incorporating it in the Resurrection liturgy.. Comprendes?
  • this is a sermon by anba youseff about the enactment
    it was explained to me before but i forgot lol but i hope this helps
    http://www.orthodoxsermons.org/sermons/explanation-resurrection-enactment-ways-victory
  • Thank you everyone, and thank you Marina6!
    The first part of that sermon explained the re-enactment very well.

Thanks!
  • ur welcome! :)
  • One thing that i have to say,
    calling it the "Re-enactment" is not exactly right.....it's just the Resurrection Enactment. That is what is used in the 2nd edition liturgy book of the Southern Diocese. and that is simply because the original Resurrection, our Lord's that we are celebrating, was NOT an "enactment" for us to call what we do in church now "re-enactment." But it was TRUE resurrection where what we do in church now is as enactment of that.
  • yea minagir ur rite i just noticed that and was wondering y lol
    thanks for the clarification
  • here is a video for all those who would wish to see it from the inside of the Altar:
  • In addition to what everybody said, the deacon says lift up your gates, that means the heavens should remove the gates of heaven to let Jesus and rightous to get in.
  • That is the only thing i understand
  • Thanks for the sermon, it explained it well and the topic spoken about following the explanation was nice too. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9063.msg113145#msg113145 date=1271037576]
    One thing that i have to say,
    calling it the "Re-enactment" is not exactly right.....it's just the Resurrection Enactment. That is what is used in the 2nd edition liturgy book of the Southern Diocese. and that is simply because the original Resurrection, our Lord's that we are celebrating, was NOT an "enactment" for us to call what we do in church now "re-enactment." But it was TRUE resurrection where what we do in church now is as enactment of that.

Hi minagir,

I see what you mean.  Maybe the term "Re-enactment" is used in some places because it's an enactment that repeats every year?  I'm not sure, that's just my guess.

By the way, in the sermon by Anba Youssef (link provided by Marina6) it is called "Enactment".

thanks.
  • Anyone for the word:  "Remembrance".  It sounds more plausible than when used in other scenarios.  I only hint, because I do not wish to open a can of worms.
  • Khristos Anesti! ;D

Hello Everyone,

First off, I would like to start by saying that the resurrection enactment is my FAVORITE event in the church as is Resurrection is my favorite time of the year. :)

Secondly, I have been told that the resurrection enactment was put into the church post 1500's (i put that number out there only because there is a book that was written by a priest in the 1500's speaking about the rites of the church and there was no mention of the reenactment at all) as a way to attract people to come to church and to raise attendance because people we're not coming to church at the time. Also, if you read carefully what is said during the enactment,

"Lift up your gates, O rulers, and be raised up, O eternal gates" - this here speaks about the ascension of Christ and not necessarily His resurrection.

correct me if I'm wrong and pray for me!

Alithos Anesti! ;D

GM