Thomas (The Original Recording)

pp
edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Does anyone know where to find the original recording of the hymn "Thomas" by El Muharraq Monastery?
In Christ,
aem581

Comments

• Just for you: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XXQIZ6T0
    BUT, this will only be here for around 7 days. I know ppl have it and they don't want to share it.......so am leaving it out there for 7 days and then deleting the link. fare enough?!
  • y would ppl not want to share the hymn? could you please explain the reasoning behind this? that  barely makes any sense? since when do we want to keep our hymns secret and on the downlow? isnt the point of this whole website to spread the hymns, so people who would normally be able to get them now have access to them.... this is confusing me..
  • it says it is currently unavaliable!
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=9122.msg113473#msg113473 date=1271570543]
    y would ppl not want to share the hymn? could you please explain the reasoning behind this? that  barely makes any sense? since when do we want to keep our hymns secret and on the downlow? isnt the point of this whole website to spread the hymns, so people who would normally be able to get them now have access to them.... this is confusing me..

[coptic]<C anecty[/coptic]
    Dear copticpharaoh,
    It seems you don't live in Egypt, or have not before. Unfortunately, this has a lot to do with Egyptian (or rather muslim-introduced) mentality, where people always follow the saying "dary 3ala sham3etak te2eed" - in fact I don't know how to translate this into an English idiom, but to explain that the more secrets you keep, the better you prove yourself to be. And well, it may have other benefits as well, like some organisations recording these hymns exclusively and earning money.
    [coptic]V] nai nan
    oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=9122.msg113473#msg113473 date=1271570543]
    y would ppl not want to share the hymn? could you please explain the reasoning behind this? that  barely makes any sense? since when do we want to keep our hymns secret and on the downlow? isnt the point of this whole website to spread the hymns, so people who would normally be able to get them now have access to them.... this is confusing me..

The general goal of the site is as you say......but sometimes quality matter to us. The hymn quality is not good and the hymn is not spread yet. When i posted the link above, i did it on my responsibly and not the site's...please remember that.

You have to consider what Fady is saying to....that's the way ppl think. I don't agree with it sometimes....but i just don't have the time to take action against....atleast not yet.

I dono why it's not available rit now.....give it another day. It was working when i uploaded it yesterday.
  • i did live in egypt before btw, and it worked for me when i downloaded it yesterday...
    and what u said is not a situation we should be encouraging (keeping secrets)...
    as for the quality thing, there are many recordings on this website that are much worse quality, so i dont see how this would be an issue...
    i still dont see y keeping this hymn on the downlow is gonna help anybody, or the Church in general, we are just losing our culture like this, and the less we know, the more we lose... we have to keep a hymn like that alive, people have to learn it, i never heard of it till yesterday when i downloaded it... i dont think i would have heard of it otherwise... stuff like that should be shared not kept secret... i guess u have your reasons though
    thanks anyways :D
  • [coptic]<C anecty
    Myna pamenrit
    ere V] `cmou `nnihbyouwi `nte nekjij[/coptic]
    May God bless the works of your hands
    [coptic]varaw`nrem`n<ymi pamenrit
    vyetakjw ounanef pe[/coptic]
    What you said is good
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • Hey mina, its not working for me either
  • This file is temporarily unavailable (no reason given).

May I suggest you change the name to Toma and remove the word Muharaee: there is some similarity/resemblance to some online pay media. Or use another server like Mediafire?

Also can you pls post some of the lyrics of this tarnema?
    Is it from the movie Anba Thomas or about St Thomas the Apostle?
    May be it needs approval by the monastery's Bishop? etc

ophadece,
    Allow me to explain further about this Egyptian saying, that you mentioned above. It may be translated: 'hide (i.e guard) your candle's light so it keeps lit' this does not mean keeping things secret for the sake of suspense or some superficial privilege but it means to exercise wisdom by not divulging the details of a new project at once: like it may reach a competitor for example, so this wise saying is a universal business related advice..

GBU
  • Refer to this link for the text of the hymn, its not a taraneema, its a communion hymn to be chanted on Thomas Sunday.

http://www.coptichymns.net/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-9064-p-70290.html#70290
  • [coptic]<C anecty[/coptic]
    Dear John_S2000,
    I am not sure I get your point. Yes, you did translate the Egyptian saying, and pointed out it is business related, but please be aware that I wasn't talking only about the business profitability of the hymns as such. I just added that as a mere suspicion that that might be happening nowadays. However, that is a well-known fact even before the advent of media sharing on the internet, or the development of websites like tasbeha.org, or coptichymns.net, that so many people in Egypt (and you will be surprised how many) have access to very rare hymns and don't like sharing them. Why? Just their mentality... no other reason. I hope you understand my point now
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • Thank you.

edit: thank you ophadece, well it's then related to private collector's mentality..
    also if the Church library would have a good reference original copy ideally it should be bought, but if it is not a production, i.e. a Church recording, I see no inconvenience to allow copying and spread it - especially if it's good.

GBU
  • Actually, I think tasbeha.org was the first network (to also consider its sister copticchurch.net) to go against that spread all the hymns of the church to play and DOWNLOAD freely online. And we got into a lot of problems because f having EVERYTHING online (even thoo now we know it's not really "everything" ;-)).....like the fact that we have allmost 90% of Ibrahim Ayad's tapes even though before they arrive as tapes or CDs to the states. Many go against the download policy for "respect" reason and i bet the diff and say with all pride "that is unchristian."
  • i think we have to oppose the mentality of keeping the rare hymns, they are not collectors items and most certainly will vanish if not spread to the public, this is a beautiful hymn, if i didn't happen to be checking tasbeha.org at 1 a.m. (random time) i would not have found out about this, and perhaps spent all my life without knowing that there was a hymn called Thomas that is supposed to be said on Thomas Sunday... and who is benefiting from it? all hymns should be "public domaine" and no one, and i mean absolutely no one has the right to keep anybody else from the pleasure or the enjoyment of his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ... to what gain would i have if i downloaded this hymn and kept it saved on my computer and let no one else listen to it? but if i were to make my fellow deacons listen to it, maybe we could learn it, (dedicate time to GOD), and spark some interest and it might add a bit of "new" twist to the Mass, which gets everybody excited...

Sorry if i offended anybody
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=9122.msg113506#msg113506 date=1271632851]
    i think we have to oppose the mentality of keeping the rare hymns, they are not collectors items and most certainly will vanish if not spread to the public, this is a beautiful hymn, if i didn't happen to be checking tasbeha.org at 1 a.m. (random time) i would not have found out about this, and perhaps spent all my life without knowing that there was a hymn called Thomas that is supposed to be said on Thomas Sunday... and who is benefiting from it? all hymns should be "public domaine" and no one, and i mean absolutely no one has the right to keep anybody else from the pleasure or the enjoyment of his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ... to what gain would i have if i downloaded this hymn and kept it saved on my computer and let no one else listen to it? but if i were to make my fellow deacons listen to it, maybe we could learn it, (dedicate time to GOD), and spark some interest and it might add a bit of "new" twist to the Mass, which gets everybody excited...

Sorry if i offended anybody

yes.....but some would just argue....their are other sources of this hymns out there; like Albairs class of this hymn for example.
  • i have not heard Albair's version.. is it the same?

p.s. the "motto" of the site coptichymns.net is "Sharing the Joy of Coptic Hymns Around the World" which basically summarizes all of my previous posts: Sharing

p.p.s. sharing is caring :P
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=9122.msg113510#msg113510 date=1271634122]
    i have not heard Albair's version.. is it the same?

It's the same in general. I guess he can't oppose abouna Ash'eia.

p.s. the "motto" of the site coptichymns.net is "Sharing the Joy of Coptic Hymns Around the World" which basically summarizes all of my previous posts: Sharing
    p.p.s. sharing is caring :P

and YET not everything is downloadable.....YEY!!!!

(anyone from coptichymns.net have any comments about what i just said?! :D speak now or forever hold your peace because i normally don't speak about other sites keda....but it doesn't really matter..it'll be saved on the forum FOREVER!!!)
  • and that is exactly what i don't get, (and will not get no matter how much anybody tried to explain to me)... why is not everything available to downloading and sharing? that is my issue, and i still wont get it no matter who explains it... (my egyptian gene is kicking in )
  • Thank you so much Mina, you're the best!
  • the link is working now.
  • I have not heard that hymn in my entire life.

I have read the above discussions about Egyptians not sharing rare hymns they have because they are "covering their candles lest they get blown out". Firstly their not their candles, they belong to the Fathers of the church who have freely given us them and now we have to freely give them to our coptic community as freely as we have recieved them. Hymns are essentially used to glorify, praise and worship God. Not sharing hymns has nothing to do with spiritual gain therefore why do they do it? Isnt spiritual gain our main aim??!! Its just contradictory to our faith!

mina
  • [quote author=✞LoveConquersAll✞ link=topic=9122.msg113528#msg113528 date=1271656428]
    Not sharing hymns has nothing to do with spiritual gain therefore why do they do it? Isnt spiritual gain our main aim??!! Its just contradictory to our faith!

yes....it is a contradiction to our faith.....but i guess our human ego just kicks in instead,

• Hi all,

This is a link for Thomas' hymn with Michell Asham voice.
    http://www.box.net/shared/e2bs0mu8mp

enjoy
  • Sounds very lovely.  The Cantor on the recording sounds like he has a good heart.
  • Dear gergesezzat,
    The recording that you sent sounds more legitimate than the one HCOC does. Thank you very much. :-D

In Christ,
    aem581
  • No problem, just pray for me.
  • [quote author=gergesezzat link=topic=9122.msg113707#msg113707 date=1272082528]
    Hi all,

This is a link for Thomas' hymn with Michell Asham voice.
    http://www.box.net/shared/e2bs0mu8mp
    enjoy

thanks.......ilovesaintmark, he is truly great.

[quote author=aem581 link=topic=9122.msg113731#msg113731 date=1272128522]
    Dear gergesezzat,
    The recording that you sent sounds more legitimate than the one HCOC does. Thank you very much. :-D

aem581,
    I havn't heard the hcoc recording of this for a while.....but if they learn it hazza-to-hazza straight from Abouna Asheia recording, then it would sound weird....because the muharaq's way of the fifties paralex (kata ni-khoros tune) is just a little different. and despite that.....i always think that they always miss some hazzzat here and there because they learn and record in a group where voices just mix and sometimes hazzat are not as clear to learn from.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9122.msg113775#msg113775 date=1272231191]
    aem581,
    I havn't heard the hcoc recording of this for a while.....but if they learn it hazza-to-hazza straight from Abouna Asheia recording, then it would sound weird....because the muharaq's way of the fifties paralex (kata ni-khoros tune) is just a little different. and despite that.....i always think that they always miss some hazzzat here and there because they learn and record in a group where voices just mix and sometimes hazzat are not as clear to learn from.

Hi Mina,

There is no much deferent in the ways between Elmoharek, HCOC, Higher Institute of Coptic Studies and many other cantors. What you need is just where to say the letters between elhazat(trkib ellahn).
    so if you know the way for any cantors you can just take the hymn from elmoharq and say it by your own way.
  • Can someone pllllzzzz send me the recording for the Moharraq monastry
    i want to hear it and learn it.
    thank you
  • I agree there isn't a difference from the HCOC, maybe just that this one is solo and the HCOC is a group sung. Which in my opinion makes the hymn sound a lot better. As for the hazaat that seem to be confusing, the purpose of the hymns are to be preserved (sung in the most correct way) and so people can learn from them by listening. Heres the link for the production:
    http://www.copticheritage.org/Productions_Resurrection.phtml
    First time Easter Monday and Thomas Sunday have been recorded in its complete form.  :) God Bless You All. Pray For me