Bible Version

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Peace of Jesus Christ to all

I am looking forward to buy an English bible with Expanation. Like the Orthodox bible that has some foot notes expalining some of the verses.

Which version do you recommend

God bless

Comments

• The best one is the complete Orthodox Study Bible so far.
  • Hey,
    This is the one I have been using, its really good, at the beginning of each book it shows you a complete survey of it, heaps, historical facts and many other things and of course alot of footnotes to explain some of the verses and is very good for study reference.

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Bible-King-James-Version/dp/0785204024
  • Thank you Jydeacon but I heard that some of the names of the books in the bible especially old testament are different to what we are used to. Also I heard that the verses are not in the same order as NKJV

Thank you Selah. It looks good and I will put it on my top list with Orthodox SB

• the orthodox study Bible (which i v v much recommend) has all the extra jewish new testament books that got missed out by the protestants. so (apart from psalm 151 and 1 ezra/esdras) the catholics have them too. they do nothing to change the basic message of salvation, but are v interesting accounts of God's work with the jews up to the time of Jesus Christ.

they are not dodgy, but a good read, esp the story of daniel and susanna (book of daniel), where daniel saves this nice jewish lady from bad accusations from 2 dodgy guys who wanted to have their wicked way with her. also the story of judith is awesome (she pretends to be a loose woman to entrap the king of the enemy of the jews, gets him drunk, then kills him, all the enemies run away in shock and the city is saved from destruction).

there are just a few verse differences, which are explained at the beginning of the Bible. so far, all my friends like it (not just orthodox!)
  • Nice thank you Mabsoota

How about NKJV study bible any ideas how good it is
  • [quote author=ebnyasoo3 link=topic=9103.msg113204#msg113204 date=1271185472]
    Nice thank you Mabsoota

How about NKJV study bible any ideas how good it is

it's great. I actually would suggest to get NKJV bible and than latter get the Orthodox Study Bible. For general reading NKJ is better.
  • I like the original King James.  I find it more poetic.  It has more of an impact with each word.  I supplement with New Catholic Bible for the Deuterocanonical Books of the Old Testament.

The Psalms taste so much better in the original King James.

• wow, yr english must be better than mine, i find it hard to understand!
  • Not at all.  You have to sit down and read it in fine quarter, similar to a fine meal.  It is a lot more powerful.  The concepts ushered are much more impacting.  There is a grandeur to the Word of God; as well It should be.
  • As I stated:  'It tastes better'.
  • ilovesaintmark, sometimes it gets hard though....ya3ny i understand why many like to use Thou and Thy to refer to God ONLY.....
  • It is not so much the Old English Pronouns (Thou, Thy, etc.) nor the conjungation of the verbs.  It is the verbiage itself.  It is the use of descriptives with ethereal leverage.  It is the choice of words to every nuance.

I would say as an exercise, take a given Psalm read it in the King James and in any version and let your soul compare the two.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9103.msg113232#msg113232 date=1271212207]
    It is not so much the Old English Pronouns (Thou, Thy, etc.) nor the conjungation of the verbs.  It is the verbiage itself.  It is the use of descriptives with ethereal leverage.  It is the choice of words to every nuance.

I would say as an exercise, take a given Psalm read it in the King James and in any version and let your soul compare the two.

ME, and just me, i like the arabic agpeya psalms. even when reading the psalms during liturgy; i would read the psalms to myself in arabic from maktapet el-mahaba agpeya and pray after in english.

I have heard that the OSB is close to our COptic but still not 100%. perhaps those who have read most of the psalms from there would tell us...
  • Have you ever tried chanting the psalms to yourself instead of just reading them.  It is absolutely wonderful!

I have a friend who is Jewish, that taught me a sort of rhymic tune for chanting them to yourself.  It is plain wonderful!

The words just strike right into your soul.  I read the Psalms, as you, in Arabic and English.  I agree, I like the Arabic more.