death

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
ok.. heres my problem/question... ???

when iw as younger i used to feel like death was something to fear... like it was something that i never wanted to face... but now certain things have changed my view on that ... i kinda feel like death is jsut something that happens.. like a normal turn in life.. i dont know im just not scared of it anymore.. .its jsut THERE.... i dont knwo i think of deaht now and im like.. o that thing... my feelings towards death r like indeifferent.. liek i dont care when or how i die.. .. is that normal? are we supposed to be scared?..i dont know if what i said made any sense to any1 but if u can help or relate dont hesitate to answer please .....

Comments

• well...I think that if we know that we are prepared..to be with God..then death should not scare us, because if we have walked in His footsteps, if we have followed the way that will lead us to Him, if we have truly repented from the sins that we have done, then why should we fear death? As, St. Paul says, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21

,"having a desire to depart and to be with Christ, that is far better"Philippians 1:23 ,

"For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's." Romans 14:8,

"If I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil, for you are with me" Psalm 23

..so really there is nothing to fear because life in heaven is definetly much better than life here on earth

However, if we know that we are not prepared yet, as we should be, "Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. " Matthew 24:42 we should be afraid because no one knows when they will die, so we really should be afraid and repent from our numerous sins, "repent for the kingdom of God is at hand"
  • Abouna Mikhiel Ibrahim's son said on his death bed to console his wife and brother "how can we accept healing from GOd, and not accept the sickness"
    in the same way, how can we accept the good things in life and not the bad, the happiness and not the saddness, the life and not the death...
    "wat is life but a vapour that appears in the earth and then vanishes" (Abouna Mikhiel Ibrahim) our body is just a prison for our soul, we are the ones who are dead, we are dead on this earth, life, true life starts after death, in paradise... the dead are all lucky they are alive and we are the ones who are dead, if we live a Godly life close to God, death shouldnt be feared, but looked forward too, think about all the holy fathers and saints, who craved death, as they knew they were going be in the bossom of Christ.
    the ones who should fear death are the ones whom st Paul speaks of in the Book of Corinthians, the ones who shall not enter the kingdom fo GOd:
    "Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God"
    1 corinthians ch 6 v 9-10
    those my beloved are the ones who should fear death.

As i said before, for me death has a new meaning, i can not cry for my family that pass away, i feel it is too selfish, we must be joyful and not mourn.
    The only time i do cry at funnerals of people i know, is if i have doubt that there with GOd.
  • PrincessMary and C.G.I., God bless you both for it appears you have a very good spiritual view on life.

When I first saw this thread, I was going to give my opinion on it, but I think you two did a greater job than I would have done!

I just would like to add a new perspective, what if we could forget about death for a while... and ask God to give us a taste of heaven right here on Earth!

It gives me a great feeling everytime I think about how the Saints were living on Earth, but not really on Earth... they were tasting heaven right here! I think for them death wasn't even a subject to worry about...or as you guys said, it was their wish!

I personally like Abouna Abdel Massi7 el Manahri, his life was a lesson and a model for anyone who wishes to taste heaven on Earth! Everytime I start thinking about the hardship of life or what death is like... I remember Abouna Abdel Massi7 and think to myself, everything will be fine if I can taste what he has tasted and put all my worries with God. It was not easy of course for Saints to reach that, and we know it will be a hard thing to get to, but it still gives us motivation and keeps us focused!

Sorry if I was too personal here, but I just think that was a great subject and I wanted to share my thoughts with you all... Thanks!

• I think it is a good topic to discuss. Everything in the world has
    an end. So it is good to see what in the Bible about that which
    remembers us. All the Saints and martyres knew this fact. They
    gained the eternal life and suffered too much for that. We see
    that Saint George suffered 7 years. We hope to realise this
    fact and by their prayers can live the Christian life.
  • princess mary does it as well,
    there some sort of conspiracy goin on here!!!
  • back to topic... i understnad wat u guys are saying from a spiritual point of view... but again.. i just wanna know wat ur PERSONAL opinions are.... guys...dont talk to me as sunday schoolo teachers..i knwo what they haev to say... i wanna know wat u guys, as teenagers, around the same age as me think fo these things!!! please try if u can to answer in that perspective ;)

thankss
  • sorry C.J.I .... vision problems.. ;D
  • sorry [glow=red,2,300]G.J.I[/glow] .... vision problems..

too
    wont happen again
  • dont talk to me as sunday schoolo teachers..i knwo what they haev to say... i wanna know wat u guys, as teenagers, around the same age as me

sorry for the "sunday school teacher" view
    teenager....is with you now
    well personally I used to not be so scared of death when I was younger..I figured thats its something that has to happen to every1 ..as u said..and well if we are good then when we die we will just be in heaven with Jesus..so death cant be bad

....I am more afraid of death now than before...well..I just dont know...Im not ready...I upset Jesus so many times by many sins...and eternity is where we are spending the rest of our lives...so I just dont want it to be spent down there.....
  • thats exactly wat im saying.. i know how mcuh i upset jesus and how terrible some of the things ive dowe are..but its like not scaring me ... i dont know.. i just feel like ive been thro some stuff this year thats changed my opnionj about lots of stuff.. im not the same person i was before all of this stuff happened...i dont know... like i know im not any good and theres no way id end up in heaven if i were to die today (or anytime soon for that matter) .... but i just feel so indifferent about it.. thats why i was asking like.. is that normal??...
  • coem on guys.. help a firned in need!!! :'(...i need all the help i can get and all the responses i can get so pleaseee :-\
  • if u want my views on death
    its awsome if ur ready, look forward to it.
    terrible if ur not ready repent!
    but i think i sorta mentioned that in my above post,
    sorry i guess i didnt do much :-[
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=board=1;threadid=621;start=0#msg11199 date=1094771468]
    well...I think that if we know that we are prepared..to be with God..then death should not scare us, because if we have walked in His footsteps, if we have followed the way that will lead us to Him, if we have truly repented from the sins that we have done, then why should we fear death? As, St. Paul says, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21

,"having a desire to depart and to be with Christ, that is far better"Philippians 1:23 ,

"For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's." Romans 14:8,

"If I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil, for you are with me" Psalm 23

..so really there is nothing to fear because life in heaven is definetly much better than life here on earth

However, if we know that we are not prepared yet, as we should be, "Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. " Matthew 24:42 we should be afraid because no one knows when they will die, so we really should be afraid and repent from our numerous sins, "repent for the kingdom of God is at hand"

wow high five 4 u!!
    awsome work princess mary u helpped heaps!!
  • back to topic.. come one guys.. dont tell me uve never thought aobut death...in a practical teenage way???
  • hmm...death...
    im kind of looking forward to death but at the same time im not. i mean im afraid of judgement day because of my many sins...but at the same time it'll be the end of all the problems here on earth and we get to be with Our Lord Jesus in heaven. this is prolly not wut ur looking for, but thats my opinion on the matter...
  • not looking for anything..jsut ur opinion.. thankss
  • I personally am terrified of death :o I don't know what to tell ya other than that.. I'm not scared of not living anymore I'm just scared of Judgement..very :-\ to me, it's just scary the thought of every single detail about my life..every thought, every intention, every desire, every action, every glance..you name it..being set before you and you being judged for it.
  • I think in order for u to know how u feel about death all depends on where ur relationship with God is, whether we're ready or not. Sometimes we say that we're terrified of death but I think we're just terrified of how death comes about...u kno whether u'll die by getting shot (God def. forbid) or quietely on ur bed....to me how i feel about death depends on where i am in my spiritual life with Christ, if I'm ready to die (which i so am not :-\) then i'm not scared because I'm ready (u kno wen ur ready 4 an exam ur not scared cuz u kno u studied so ur gonna ace it)...but if i kno i'm NOT ready (which I'm not) then i'd be dreading death because we all know that death alone is not the whole issue, its the judgement afterwards that we should really be scared of...so lyk i said before, in order for u to know exactly how u feel (scared, happy,dont care, ect.) about death all depends on where u r in ur spirituality levels with God (4 me neways) ...

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • but see thats exactly where the problem is for me... i know im nowhere near eady but i dont think about the judgement process..just the laving this world part... liek the actual act of dying.. u now wat i mean?
  • u mean; leaving everything, like ur family, friends, possesions, things u still want to do while u are alive?? or is this far from what u mean?
  • ok so u realize ur not ready for death its just that u dont care about it or what happens after???

• ooo i'm sorry wut i was trying 2 say is how u feel about death is determined by where ur relationship is with God. For example is u have a close relationship with God and ur at a very high spiritual level then u r prepared to die so u feel happy, u r waiting for death (like the saints) but if u r not at the spiritual level where u want to be then you'll be scared or infact even terrified of death and how it comes about. so for me, where i am with God determines how i feel about death and the judgement afterwards.....i hope i made things a lil clearer ;)

• o no dont worry about it, my brain sleeps in but my mouth is an early riser ;), but yeah i'm more preoccupied with how i'm going to die than of death itself...

• [quote}u mean; leaving everything, like ur family, friends, possesions, things u still want to do while u are alive?? or is this far from what u mean?

thats EXACTLY wat i mean hos irof...
  • hm, yeah, leaving the people is something i could agree on, but all the material stuff; i dont know, u willl just never get satisfied by it...whats on this earth that u want to do and is really worth it???

and besides; when we all go to heaven, we will recognize eachother and spent eternity with eachother, so its just a short time untill u see them again...and in meanwhile u will see all the people who died before, ur relatives, friends, all the saints, so i dont really think its something to worry about :)
  • so if wat i mean is the actual act of death... not wat happens after,then its not soo abnormal to be indifferent about it????
  • if u mean ur indifferent about how u die, i dont think it matters much because we all know we're going to die one way or another. I think the thing about death u should be most concerned with is what happens afterwards u kno? Because if someone dies by (God forbid) a car accident and another person dies on their bed ur both r dead either way, u kno? Ionno i dont think there's anything wrong if u accept death with no emotions to back u up because the way most ppl think is that if ur gonna die ur gonna die so y fret HOW...please someone correct/edit/add to anything i said, i'm not entirely sure about my answer but I'm just sharing my opinion... :-\

• i think when you are young you dont want your life to end and i think im mostly afraid of how im going to dye and most of all where i might gooo......i reallli dont want to go to helll...lol.. :(...i dont think that any1 goes....i guess that cuz i noe im not close to God as i wish i was.... :'(
  • I think the safest thing i could say about death is to just be prepared for it, anytime, anywhere, in any way....I mean thats all we can really do about it...u cant control when/how u die but u can control what happens to you afterwards, so i think that we shouldnt worry about anything concerning death xept the judgement afterwards and where u think u'll be....the best way we can take on death is by preparing ourselves as christians till the Lord comes so that later on you don't have to say "I wish I had been ready" ;)