Ordering Coptic Icons

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
There is an iconographer at our church who recently made a website. He began in Egypt and moved to the U.S. a few years ago.

If you would like to order any icons, email him and tell him the specifications.

http://neocopticicons.com/Neo-Coptic_Icons/Welcome.html

Comments

• Who did he study under?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8804.msg110385#msg110385 date=1265848019]
    Who did he study under?

it looks like he studied under Isaac Fanous at some point of time. A lot of his icons are kind of copied from Isaac's.
  • yeah they are
  • In 1992, he enrolled in the prestigious Higher Institute of Coptic Studies in Cairo, Egypt and studies Neo-Coptic art under Master Iconographer Dr. Isaac Fanous of blessed memory. After three years’ of intensive study, he earned a Masters Degree in Coptic Art and Iconography.

I really like his work, even though I'm more a of a old Coptic style... but one of the "icons" i gotta disagree with is pope kyrillos... I think he should have followed the rites with the looks of the person, like Issac Fanous, may God rest his soul, did in the icon of saint anba abraam, the bishop of fayoum. He kept the rites of iconography, and he put the looks of anba abraam.

and I hope that icon is just for personal use... not for a church!

neshkor Allah akhadna el baraka!
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=8804.msg110393#msg110393 date=1265856117]
    In 1992, he enrolled in the prestigious Higher Institute of Coptic Studies in Cairo, Egypt and studies Neo-Coptic art under Master Iconographer Dr. Isaac Fanous of blessed memory. After three years’ of intensive study, he earned a Masters Degree in Coptic Art and Iconography.

I really like his work, even though I'm more a of a old Coptic style... but one of the "icons" i gotta disagree with is pope kyrillos... I think he should have followed the rites with the looks of the person, like Issac Fanous, may God rest his soul, did in the icon of saint anba abraam, the bishop of fayoum. He kept the rites of iconography, and he put the looks of anba abraam.

and I hope that icon is just for personal use... not for a church!
    neshkor Allah akhadna el baraka!

he's not really supposed to do one for Pope Kerrelos. Anba Abraam is a canonical saint.
  • he's not really supposed to do one for Pope Kerrelos. Anba Abraam is a canonical saint.

yes this is why I said hopefully its for his personal use... like I wrote an icon of my late priest... nothing wrong with that, because its for my personal use... and the priest's family.

what I'm shocked about though is now they put icons of pope kyrillos in churches... name altars after his name... and even heard a few times priests and a couple of bishops mention his name in the commemoration of the saints... kind of sad that people are following their interpretation, and emotion... instead of the church rites! 

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • wait i thought Pope Kyrillos was a saint... same with St Abraam
  • You are speaking about Icons?? Pope Kriyllos is mentioned in the commemoration of saints by many priests.There is already a church named after Pope Kriyllos and St Mina!!!
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=8804.msg110450#msg110450 date=1265933603]
    You are speaking about Icons?? Pope Kriyllos is mentioned in the commemoration of saints by many priests.There is already a church named after Pope Kriyllos and St Mina!!!

not pope Kerrelos the 6th. Our Church would never allow an altar to be named after an un-canonizied saint....
  • Whoa whoa whoa.............. All this time I thought Pope Kyrillos VI was a saint! What about all these miracles I'm hearing and reading through his intercessions?
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=8804.msg110542#msg110542 date=1266054413]
    Whoa whoa whoa.............. All this time I thought Pope Kyrillos VI was a saint! What about all these miracles I'm hearing and reading through his intercessions?

I am not saying he's not a saint (don't get me in trouble with him....).....he's a great. He is just not a "canonized saint" in our Church.
  • lol as mina said... dont get me in trouble with him either... lol

our church has a rite in which no person is canonized to be called saint (meaning a member of the congregation of the saints, so they are not to be mentioned in the commemoration of the saints, they are not to have icons on the iconostasis, and they are not to have an altar or church after their them), except at least 50 years after their death... which pope kyrillos the VI has about ten left...

through these fifty years people who knew them personally will pass away... and not many people would have known them on a personal level would be able to judge his canonization, through which the church is removing emotional favoring, and these fifty years they see that person's reputation, the miracles, the life... and many things... so pope Kyrillos has a lot of reputation... which is great... this is what should be happening before his canonization, but for people to start puting his "picture" on the iconostasis, and to name alter and churches after his name... and mention his name in the commemoration of the sainst... even sometimes say his story in the synaxarium... I think we took it too far!

he was a pope a patraiarch of this church... he followed her rules, and he respected them... so we come and do otherwise?! it doesnt make sense... if anything instead of mentioning his name... why don't we do what he did!

again I love pope kyrillos... I love his story, I learn A LOT from it... actually a lot of the things I do I was taught through his life... is he a saint? yes in my heart... and I'm sure in heaven... but thats where it needs to stop... until the church gives me permission to do otherwise, and by the church I mean not just a bishop or priest... or even Pope! I mean the holy synod... until then I will and should only ask for his prayer in my personal prayer! otherwise we are going against the church herself and her teaching!

again I love Pope Kyrillos... he is amazing, and I did learn a lot from him... and I'm sure he wont be upset if I say what the church teaches... I have drawn pictures of him... I have his pictures all over... but what is right is right... and what is wrong is wrong!

neshkor Allah... akhadna el baraka!
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=8804.msg110464#msg110464 date=1265939046]
    [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=8804.msg110450#msg110450 date=1265933603]
    You are speaking about Icons?? Pope Kriyllos is mentioned in the commemoration of saints by many priests.There is already a church named after Pope Kriyllos and St Mina!!!

not pope Kerrelos the 6th. Our Church would never allow an altar to be named after an un-canonizied saint....

well, I knew what I was saying,cos I was inside the church that is named after both Saints..Anyway, check the link below (page 5) and for your assurances.Canonization is just a formal thing that is pronounced after 50 years or so.Long time,in my opinion.

El Kereza-Consecrating St. Mina and Pope Kyrillos the Pillar of Faith in Mississauga:

PS: SuperBam, I agree with everything that you said.What I think is that, the story ,life and holiness of Pope Kyrillosis unique and unmatched in contemporary times.The RC is looking forward to canonize John Paul the 2nd.The late Catholic Pope is said to have perfomed a single miracle sofar.He is short of 2nd one! Now compare that to the miracles of Pope Kyrillos..I thibnk,they are a criteria to Sainthood. No one can count them..I believe,HH POpe Shenouda may have made an exception to name a church after him, which I think is right and long over due .
  • I thought that St Kyrillos, the Pillar of Orthodoxy, is St Cyril of Alexandria from the 5th century?

Father Peter
  • That church is not after HH Pope Kyrillos the VI but the first who is known as the pillar of faith who was in the 5th Century and was at one of the Ecumenical Councils
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=8804.msg110557#msg110557 date=1266102281]
    I thought that St Kyrillos, the Pillar of Orthodoxy, is St Cyril of Alexandria from the 5th century?

Father Peter

Yes. Kyrillos is Cyril in arabic,