Christian/Secular music for wedding reception

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
My girlfriend and I are planning on getting engaged this weekend.

Meanwhile we are stuck on one point and finding it difficult to proceed with the engagement without resolving this issue. We both want christian music at the reception.  However while I would like to have christian music ONLY, she would like to have secular music added to please her family.

What do you advise us? What is the Coptic Church's teaching or view regarding wedding reception music?  What kind of music is used at wedding receptions / wedding hall in the Coptic Church when a priest or a deacon gets married?

Help me,
Abraham Ruth

Comments

• [quote author=Abraham Ruth link=topic=8450.msg107269#msg107269 date=1256603507]
    My girlfriend and I are planning on getting engaged this weekend.

Meanwhile we are stuck on one point and finding it difficult to proceed with the engagement without resolving this issue. We both want christian music at the reception.  However while I would like to have christian music ONLY, she would like to have secular music added to please her family.

What do you advise us? What is the Coptic Church's teaching or view regarding wedding reception music?  What kind of music is used at wedding receptions / wedding hall in the Coptic Church when a priest or a deacon gets married?

Help me,
    Abraham Ruth

In general, the Church cannot force anyone to not to do this, referring to a reception with music and dancing...etc. BUT, the church does recommend that the couple may keep it godly as their union is. Emmanuel Himself blessed there union....how can we, mere humans, corrupt that very holy day?!

There is a great sermon/lecture for HG Bishop Youssef here:
    http://lacopts.org/audio/sermons/the-crowning-ceremony-his-grace-bishop-youssef

Please listen to it. You'd find the answer to your question and many more things about the Crowning Ceremony that we would normally not think of....
  • Ya I've actually always wondered the same thing. I must admit that being to Orthodox friends' engagements/weddings and seeing the dancing with loud secular music and drinking etc makes me a bit uncomfortable...and then I start asking myself "well what would i do at my own reception?". I think there's a difference between listening to secular music in general and playing it at the reception of a holy union...but of course minagir's response about keeping it as holy as the sacrament does make sense.
    Abraham Ruth, God bless your engagement :) and hopefully you'll reach a decision.
  • One word: ABBA !

---
    i didnt send u an email...
  • Thank you for your input everyone.  The engagement has been canceled.
    Minagir, I tried to listen to the sermon but it says buffering and doesn't get to the playing part.
    Sodr2 - I don't understand your email/ message

• [quote author=Abraham Ruth link=topic=8450.msg107352#msg107352 date=1256757974]
    Thank you for your input everyone.  The engagement has been canceled.
    Minagir, I tried to listen to the sermon but it says buffering and doesn't get to the playing part.
    Sodr2 - I don't understand your email/ message

download it (where it should have a link to do so) and play it on quicktime.