Is this spiritual adultary?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
The Church is the bride of Christ? Right?

And there are many Churches. They all claim to be the true bride of Christ.

If we are all divided, then surely that means that Christ has many brides. Isn't that wrong?

Surely, the Church should be one? Surely by our Ecumenical division, we've caused a scandal?
No?

How does God see all this? That we prefer to leave Him in a state of embarassement than to rectify this situation? I'm not suggesting that we compromise our Orthodox faith. I think the Orthodox Church has been faithful (as far as possible).

But, isn't the current division (Orthodox - Orthodox, Catholic - Orthodox - Protestant) literally resulting in spiritual adultary?

Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=8419.msg106979#msg106979 date=1256045904]
    The Church is the bride of Christ? Right?

And there are many Churches. They all claim to be the true bride of Christ.

If we are all divided, then surely that means that Christ has many brides. Isn't that wrong?

Surely, the Church should be one? Surely by our Ecumenical division, we've caused a scandal?
    No?

How does God see all this? That we prefer to leave Him in a state of embarassement than to rectify this situation? I'm not suggesting that we compromise our Orthodox faith. I think the Orthodox Church has been faithful (as far as possible).

But, isn't the current division (Orthodox - Orthodox, Catholic - Orthodox - Protestant) literally resulting in spiritual adultary?

Thanks

Between the Orthodox-Orthodox there is a division, but we both practice and adhere to Orthodox doctrine, this issue is with men, not doctrine. Outside of that you cannot consider spiritual adultery because many of these people dont even know what Orthodoxy is. Now if someone leaves Orthodoxy for protestantism, yes that is spiritual adultery. If an Orthodox person mixes these beliefs together, especially protestantism, then that is not only  heretical but definetly spiritual adultery. Mt 7:14 "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Those words come directly from Christ, many will not find Christ or His true church for the sake of their own stubborness and delusional thinking. Also 2 Thess 2:12 "And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." Just try to keep in mind that just being Orthodox doesnt mean anything and does not guarantee anything, but PRACTICING Orthodoxy and struggling for the Kingdom does mean something. Luke 18:8 "I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" Interesting statement made by Christ there, why would He say that? Because many people are following their desires and what suits them to their own demise. Hopefully this answers your question.

• i don't really understand it either, but it seems that God is purifying his church, causing the churches leaders to properly discuss and learn true doctrine and bringing people to a closer relationship with Him, where it's all about having a right attitude and love for God and less about the superficial appearances of how many times you pray a day or what good church jargon words you know.
    all this will take time, but it seems God is more patient and gracious than any of us (especially me!)
    i see lots of people are joining the orthodox churches and we should be grateful to God for His mighty work in our lives.
    who knows where it all will end, but i reckon God is on the case
    ;)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=8419.msg106987#msg106987 date=1256061028]
    i don't really understand it either, but it seems that God is purifying his church, causing the churches leaders to properly discuss and learn true doctrine and bringing people to a closer relationship with Him, where it's all about having a right attitude and love for God and less about the superficial appearances of how many times you pray a day or what good church jargon words you know.
    all this will take time, but it seems God is more patient and gracious than any of us (especially me!)
    i see lots of people are joining the orthodox churches and we should be grateful to God for His mighty work in our lives.
    who knows where it all will end, but i reckon God is on the case
    ;)

Ecumenism is the greatest heresy of our time. Hopefully our church eventually recognizes this fact. While your right there are people joining the church there are also many leaving or falling away and this is how God purifies His church, cutting away those who dont bear fruit and testing those who have stayed. We have to strengthen ourselves and not give in to the spirit of the age.
  • But isn't it a pitiful shame that we are even divided amongst Oriental and Eastern Orthodox Churches?
  • i couldnt agree anymore that the two familes of Orthodoxy are seprated! i cant see a validexcuse as all the theological discussions have been finshed, what remains is how will we come together and the minor problems. I dont see ecumnecusim as a hersey rather a blessing, one looks at H.H Mar Igantius Zakka the Syriac Pope and he has an artcle saying that the churches being seprated is against Gods will.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=8419.msg107009#msg107009 date=1256107265]
    But isn't it a pitiful shame that we are even divided amongst Oriental and Eastern Orthodox Churches?

Aren't the EO closer to the Catholic church than they are to us? I mean, they were together for a longer period.
  • [quote author=coptic youth link=topic=8419.msg107010#msg107010 date=1256116433]
    i couldnt agree anymore that the two familes of Orthodoxy are seprated! i cant see a validexcuse as all the theological discussions have been finshed, what remains is how will we come together and the minor problems. I dont see ecumnecusim as a hersey rather a blessing, one looks at H.H Mar Igantius Zakka the Syriac Pope and he has an artcle saying that the churches being seprated is against Gods will.

when I say ecumenism I am referring to WCC. I DO agree with uniting the EO and Oriental churches. One major problem honestly stems from Athos. If you go to Greece as a Copt they will spit on you and curse you because they believe its not wrong to do this to heretics, which we are not. Again the heresy is something like World Council of Churches which seeks to unite ALL churches into one world church, that is heretical and no Orthodox church in their right mind should be a part of it.Every Orthodox church is part of WCC,