clothes

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
aghaby everyone
simple question? is it wrong to wear skiiny jeans to church? personally i dont see how they could be inappropiate at all as long as they arent too tight.  feed backs?

thankss

+mahraeel+

Comments

• why would it be wrong for? as long as you have no intent to stick out of the crowd then there is nothing wrong with it it beets a very shirt skirt
  • idk my mom thinks it is wrong.  but i dont.

thanks

+mahraeel+
  • it's not wrong. no.

but, if you have something nicer to wear, wear it !
  • lol np =) its the clash of the generations lol young adults vs older adults
  • [quote author=bigeee link=topic=8126.msg104216#msg104216 date=1245641511]
    why would it be wrong for? as long as you have no intent to stick out of the crowd then there is nothing wrong with it it beets a very shirt skirt

i don't know if that is a good idea. ya3ny if someone goes to a nude beach, they should be nude to "have no intent to stick out of the crowd"?!!
    of course not. this is not a Christian behavior.

Without any specifics, wear what is appropriate and what does not make other stumble. if you know that you can't wear short skirts to not show things, than don't. if you know that wearing tight jeans will stumble some males than don't because their sin of thought will be partially upon you.
  • what might not affect you in anyway possible, might be a stumbling block to others..
    from what i understand, you think there is nothing wrong in wearing skinny jeans, but they might be a "stummbling block" to some "boys" in the Church, and it might cause them to have a thought or two, even if its for a second...

SOLOUTION:
    IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING ELSE, PLEASE WEAR THAT... wheather you wear skinny jeans or normal jeans, it doesn't matter for you, but it might matter for others, such as your mom, so WEAR SOMETHING ELSe IF YOU HAVE THE MEANS TO...

• [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=8126.msg104215#msg104215 date=1245640926]
    aghaby everyone
    simple question? is it wrong to wear skiiny jeans to church? personally i dont see how they could be inappropiate at all as long as they arent too tight.  feed backs?

thankss

+mahraeel+

This is so strange, as I was thinking about the same issue: about what people wear to Church.

I was saying to myself that is it anyone's business what anyone wears?

But actually, its no one's business what you wear, but I think there should be someone at Church who should refuse entry to anyone wearing shorts/miniskirts, or basically in a really dirty condition.

The reason is that the place you are in is Holy.

Now, for skinny jeans etc.. I don't really understand why Egyptian girls wear skinny jeans.. it looks so bad. I mean, its like when you go to the butchers, and you ask him for a half a leg of lamb, and he wraps it around in a string... gosh.

But - its best to ask abouna. You could even take him with u shopping next time.
  • hi guys,
    i don't get it, what are 'not-too-tight-skinny-jeans'?
    if they are called skinny jeans, it's coz they show up the shape of your butt.
    the clothes designers make them like this to delight the minds of people who like to look at people's butts.
    people look at other people's butts, it's a fact.

i strongly believe that you should be able to wear in church what you wear in the street, coz God accepts us as we are.

which leads me to the question, why do you even have skinny jeans? don't you realise the guys in the street just love walking behind you and looking at your butt? i know u r a nice, kind Christian girl (i read a lot of your great posts) so i think you don't realise just how much butt-watching goes on in the outside (not brought up in a nice church) world. i used to be like that but several non-Christian male friends filled me in on what was going on in their heads (yuk!).
    maybe it's even worse to wear skinny jeans outside of church because you can be sure there are at least some people there taking great delight in the shape of your lovely butt.

so i would personally say 'no' to skinny jeans unless you are wearing one of those nice trendy tunic tops over it which cover your bottom.
    you don't have to get a 3/4 length flowery skirt made of polyester (sorry, old folk present, i have a personal thing against these!), you can wear a pencil skirt, a knee-length skirt with opaque tights, leggings or tight jeans with a tunic, there are lots of trendy things that are not too revealing, but just as you are going to church to worship God, others are too, not to get distracted by your lovely young form
    :)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=8126.msg104233#msg104233 date=1245696491]

i strongly believe that you should be able to wear in church what you wear in the street, coz God accepts us as we are.

I strongly disagree. In summertime, its very common in western/eastern Europe for girls to wear beachwear in the street. I do not think this is respectful to enter the church wearing such clothes.

You can argue and say that "God accepts" us no matter what - then why don't we all pray naked, in the nude? God sees us naked, and we are naked before Him, so why don't we just go to Church in our swimsuits?

If you want to know whether God accepts us.. the answer is in Genesis:

When Cain offered to God not from his BEST fruit, or first fruit, it says clearly that God did not respect Cain NOR his offering.

• hi qt,
    i get your point, but i have a really BIG problem with women wearing beachwear on the street. idk about north america but in europe women are wearing less and less and men are showing their bottom crack when they bend down and i am really shocked.
    i think it's just as important for Christians to give a good example by what they wear in the street as it is in the church.
  • I think that this is a never-ending debate. What I can see as inappropriate, you may find totally normal.
    You are the only one who can judge yourself, and your mother's advice is always for the best.

I want to add that Bishop Moussa responded to this question:
    'Never ever, whereever you are, wear something that you would be ashamed of if our Lord Jesus Himself would appear to you at the very moment'

GB
  • irini
    i think this is awewsome advice  :)
  • well with all due respect, its okay to be naked if God appeared to us... like saint mary the Egyptian and such!

think of it this way... what if people all knew you were Christian, are you ready to represent God with what you wear?!
    I sag my pants for example... but I don't sag it to the ground, so if somebody sees you while you bend over to kiss the ground and see everything, is that a good way to represent God? if a girl wears the tightest shirts and the tightest pants, if a guy sees you, are you ready to raise your cross up high and say you know what... I am Christian, I don't mind wearing this... and I wont mind it if my daughter wears this and all guys see her like that!

think maturely... and be wise...

pray for me, and for my weak heart...
    akhadna el baraka, neshkor Allah!
  • Yes, but Mary of Egypt could not help it that she was naked. Besides, her intentions were pure. If a girl wears revealing clothes, she obviously wants to show off her looks.

But you have a point with the representing God thing. Your body is, after all, the temple of the Holy Spirit, and you should cherish it and cover it with the most pretty garnments you can find for it (that does not mean that everything should be expensive).

In everything we do, Gods name should be glorified.

So, indeed, think maturely, and be wise :D!

GB
  • I think all of us women ,Girls should wear long dresses and make sure our head is fully covered .It is highly encouraged in the church I go to .It has a lot to do with keeping a rein on our  desires to look attractive to other people .I think our clothing just like our behaviour should  distinguish us as  Godly people .

Deut 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

1 Tim 2:9-10 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
  • Hello guys. Thanks for your great comments. 

Mabsoota, there are jeans where you can buy them and they are only thin and skinny towards the ankle and nowhere near the butt. 

superman, this isnt about what i think looks good on me or w.e.  It is just for the mere fact that this what i wear.  Literally everywhere.  I honestly cannot change the way i dress unless it is inappropiate.  and, i dont find skiiny jeans disrespectful at all. 

qt, i think people always misjudge you for wearing the wrong thing.  You cannot judge a book by its cover.  therefore you can not entirely judge an individual due to their attire (skinny jeans)

mina, i understand what you are trying to say.  But this is not showing or revealing anything.  I am not wearing a low top, or a extremely short skirt. 

please guys keep commenting.

thankss sister in christ

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=8126.msg104268#msg104268 date=1245874890]
    mina, i understand what you are trying to say.  But this is not showing or revealing anything.  I am not wearing a low top, or a extremely short skirt. 

you'll be surprised what shows when you are wearing tight cloth....including jeans.
  • Yes, but Mary of Egypt could not help it that she was naked. Besides, her intentions were pure. If a girl wears revealing clothes, she obviously wants to show off her looks.

when I said the statement about Saint Mary, its because we do not need to be ashamed of God if He were to appear to us, even if we were naked!!!

superman, this isnt about what i think looks good on me or w.e.  It is just for the mere fact that this what i wear.  Literally everywhere.  I honestly cannot change the way i dress unless it is inappropiate.  and, i dont find skiiny jeans disrespectful at all.

I'm sorry, its kinda sad, i feel so old because I actually just had to google "skinny jeans" to see maybe I misunderstood what you meant... lol on the good side, I didn't!

with all honesty, if you wear these "tight" jeans that shows your figure... and the Pope once said it... again not me, but the pope... which was something along the lines of... a girl should not wear something to show her figure... he later talks about how even some jeans are too tight, that show the figure of the body and the outlines of the body... which is not right!!!

again I will repeat myself... are you willing to have your daughter wear such clothes... and have guys "check' her out?!

and again i will tell you this... think wisely and maturely

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=8126.msg104278#msg104278 date=1245899164]
    when I said the statement about Saint Mary, its because we do not need to be ashamed of God if He were to appear to us, even if we were naked!!!

I am sure you know the story of Adam and Eve. After they had eaten from the tree, they suddenly felt the urge to cover themselves up. Their eyes had been opened, and they knew the difference between what's right and what's bad.

So I actually think it is naive to say that we need not be ashamed of God while we are naked in front of Him. We are not as innocent as Adam and Eve were when they were naked.

GB
  • Irini... what you're saying is God is not present when you shower? God is not present when you go to the bathroom? God is not present when you're changing? etc...

God is present at all times... God has been there and done that! now I'm not saying we should become nudists... but I'm saying if God were to appear to me when I'm naked, I would not be ashamed! why should i be ashamed? does a child feel shame when his mom or dad give them a bath?

there are also many saints that lived in the desert, they did not care if their body was naked or not... but yet if they were to live in the world, they would cover their body for the sake of other people!

akhadna el baraka... neshkoe Allah
  • Of course God is always present and He IS everywhere, but when I go to take a shower it is not my intention to go and meet Him, like it is when I go to church. And as church is God's house, you should be perfectly and properly dressed: you are about to meet the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

And besides, there are no other PEOPLE around when I go to the bathroom, so I can't be seducing anybody and so be sinning myself and causing someone else to sin too.

Wouldn't you even be embarassed if God walked in while you took a shower? Because I can't bear the thought.

Actually, I WOULD be ashamed if my father would give me a bath. When I was a baby, I did not mind because I did not know what was happening to me. Now I know better, I know the difference between good and bad, just like Adam and Eve after they had eaten from the forbidden tree.

The saints in the desert did not care for their looks because they were living by themselves and were scarcely seen. Their minds were occupied with so much holier things. When anyone did see them, however, they would take the effort to look decent for the outer world (referring also to st. Mary of Egypt's story).

GB
  • Getting back to the topic, I think "skinny jeans" (I, like Superman, didn't know what they were at first either) are one of those things I just stare at gapingly, wondering what would possess a person to spend money for and wear it in public. I actually saw someone today wearing a pair in a store and I actually thought it looked repulsive.

I'm not talking about revealing, but from my opinion, they don't even look nice.. like it's not like they're stylish and look nice, they look really bad.

Just a thought, would it be a big deal to just wear normal jeans? We've lived fine all these years with this invention of the "skinny jeans".

Just purely my opinion, but I still don't think it's appropriate for a child of the church to wear skin-tight clothes that draw so much attention anywhere, much less to the church.
  • yeah ! why don't we all just wear khakis and navy polos???
    haha..
    ok, it's not gonna happen.  The matter of fact is that what people wear has become a way of expressing themselves, and to some people, it's sadly the ONLY way of self expression and "originality" (although i dont get what's so original about jeans and a shirt advertising "hollister"...) but that's not the point...my point is that it's not for us to say that looks bad and that looks good..and etc.
    i think we should just look at ourselves and dress decently.

i think that it all has to do with intentions.  If you really wear skinny jeans to church because you think they look nice on you and it's your best attire and your not looking to turn  heads ..then you should be okay...ya know??
    just have self respect in what you wear and have consideration for others...people go to church to pray and spend time with God...not to be distracted by what you wear...

actually....that khaki and navy polo thing isn't such a bad idea...maybe we should have a uniform for church..? kind of like the Ethiopian orthodox folks........
    haha...im kinda serious...
  • lol thats funny.  maybe we should just get uniforms lol

GUYS !! Just around the ankles. people ! Listen to what i am trying to say. there is NOTHING being revealed ya nas. 
    lol thanks guys (sorry for teh caps, just trying to emphasize something. )

GBU

+mahraeel+
  • wear skinny jeans just sit at the very back of the church lol
  • LOL na, that wont work. 
    Whether it is the front or back, it is still church. lol

+mahraeel+
  • Okay, to be short here is something said by St. Augustine. Just a warning though that you must real the wisdom of the saying to understand the issue. He says:

Love God and do what you want.

Truly, when you think about it, if you really and honestly loved God, your will would be conformed to His, your whole life devoted to Him, and you would care more about not causing your brothers to stumble than keeping up with the latest fashions  ;)
  • I'm just getting in on this forum, now that I am done exams (thank God)

Mahraeel, (great name btw)

you said that your skinny jeans are only tight at the ankles and that they don't show your figure and that they will not distract anyone. I am going to have to disagree with that because I can see from your mom's eyes. sometimes the devil blinds us from seeing certain things and forces us to trivialize certain situations. These are the times when we need to listen to and obey our elders, especially if they are our parents (even if they're old Egyptians) or our FOC. I am not saying that parents are always right (although from my experience they have been), but rather I am saying that sometimes they can see better.

when you don't listen to your parents in situations like these, not only do you harm yourself (because you are being a stumbling block to your brothers and losing the blessing of obedience), or your brothers (because they are being distracted by you even if you don't realize it) but you are also harming your parents. If you have ever attended a baptism you see that the parents take the resposibility of their child in front of God and they will be held accountable for not disciplining their children.

Also, concerning what was said earlier, I think that if you were by yourself in the church, it would still be important to dress modestly because you are on holy ground. Remember, when God told Moses to take off his sandals because he is standing on holy ground. This is the same with the church. I know a priest who when he found out that a church (i think it was another type of Orthodox, not sure though) was being sold and being taken down, he spent all the money that he had saved for a project to buy it because he could not stand to see a church being taken down. This only shows you that Church is a holy place and should be respected. This is not to say that you should refrain from wearing that only in Church but rather you should refrain from wearing it completely as my brothers and sisters have stated above.

Also, where is the obedience ya habibti? Don't you know the story of the "tree of obedience" in Egypt. A certain monk said to his disciple to take his stick and stick it in the sand and water it everyday and back then it was a mission to go get water from the well. Then after many days of watering the stick it became a tree and is now called the "tree of obedience". There is also the story of the monk who told his disciple to drink the water that was in a pot in his hand and the monk refused several times (can't remember what he said but it was something like "no it's ok") until the water vanished and then the monk told him that this water was the water he washed the feet of Jesus with. I am not sure if blind obedience is always good, I personally like to always know why but maybe that this is due to the fact that i am still young and weak; however, in this situation it is not blind obedience because the reason is clear.

Finally, I would like share with you these verses from Proverbs:

Proverbs 1:5
    let the wise listen and add to their learning,
           and let the discerning get guidance-

Proverbs 1:7
    7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
           but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Proverbs 1:8 & 6:20
    My son, hear the instruction of your father,
          And do not forsake the law of your mother;

Proverbs 14:12 & 16:25
    There is a way that seems right to a man,
          But its end is the way of death.

Proverbs 15:5
    A fool despises his father’s instruction,
          But he who receives correction is prudent.

Proverbs 15:31-32
    31 The ear that hears the rebukes of life
          Will abide among the wise.
    32 He who disdains instruction despises his own soul,
          But he who heeds rebuke gets understanding.

Proverbs 18:2
    A fool has no delight in understanding,
          But in expressing his own heart.

Proverbs 21:3
    To do righteousness and justice
          Is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

Proverbs 23:22
    Listen to your father who begot you,
          And do not despise your mother when she is old.

please pray for me and i want to hear from you
  • I have been away for a while again, but I would like to kindly participate in this discussion.

I have seen people make (radical?) suggestions saying girls/women should wear long dresses to church, and have also seen people saying it doesn't really matter what you wear, and it is really the intention that matters. As a servant, I find that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Perhaps ever since I've become a servant I've become to notice my clothing much more, and I think that every one should do so, not just servants. However, there is nothing wrong with wearing a knee-high dress to church. I am very close to my father of confession, and I make sure that whatever I wear outside church can be worn inside church. He has never said anything about the way I dress unless something was wrong- and I fixed it. Honestly I think this needs to be said. Certain places we as girls know should not be revealed at all, whether inside church or out. There is a certain line which should not be crossed. As long as my mother is fine with it I know I'm okay, which is which is why I strongly suggest that all mothers should be carefully heeded specifically concerning this subject.

Concerning the specific issue of jeans, I do not think they should be worn in a Liturgy at all, but that is my opinion. Generally, I personally wear relatively loose jeans; they are not too tight, but not very loose either. The truth is, nothing else can be found in the stores. Moreover, nothing is wrong with moderation, which is key.

Why all this should be done is another issue.
    1) Not to be a stumbling block to others.
    2) In church, I should respect the House of God I am in and the person I am going to meet.
    3) My body is not my own, and I should not offer it for show. People passing and going, whether inside Church or out, should not be able to "take a look" and stare at my body however they please. Some people will stare regardless: it has happened to me where I was dressed perfectly fine and some men simply deserve to be blinded. However, it is up to me to reduce how and when sin occurs.

Each one of these issues can be discussed deeply, but I think we all know what can/will be said.
  • Sorry, i am very late but thanks for the references and wisdom. 
    It helped may God bless you all !  :D