People taking advantage of me

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Well, i have been realizing that in my life people take advantage of me. I know what they are doing but i just give them what they ask for.

Of course not like answers or something just stuff in life. What should i do?

Should i let people take advantage of me and use me or should i withhold information and not give them what they want?

Comments

• hey,
    well i used to struggle with the same thing but i learned how to overcome it.
    Ppl would always ask me for things and i would give it to them but i later realized that i was not doing it necessarily out of love. i just did it because this was the type of person everyone expected me to be. There are times however when i you have to discern how appropriate is it to give. Giving should be out of love and should help the other person. for example, this kid asked to copy ny Spanish homework all the time. At first i let him but then i realized that i am not helping him and that i am actually feeling bad when i do it. Also my father of confession told me that is like cheating. I also took a leadership class at school that explained how being a doormat for everyone to step on lowers your self-esteem and does not make ppl accept you. When u start feeling that ppl are taking advantage of you then you know this is the time to stop.
    hope this helped a bit : )
  • i thank you soo much. You are so wise.

I just have a question about that.

What if the people taking advantage of me are actually just trying to learn everything from me but they don't give me anything in return? I can't really tell them to stop. I have no idea what to do.

Pray for me
  • first off, I don't thikn you should expect anything in return...

also...I def. don't consider you to be taken advantage of if people are coming to you for help and information, they obviously respect you and see that you can help.  In fact, you probably have the upper hand, and God has given you something over others, and as Christians, it's our duty to use our given gifts to help one another.  And if it's helping others, and not harming you then you should continue to do it...because i don't see that as being a pushover/taken advantage of.

for example: when my friend understands something in class that others don't, she gets a bunch of phone calls and people asking her for help.  Most of these people would not consider her a friend and probably would never go an inch out of their way to help her, nonetheless,she helps them.  why? because it's the right thing to do and she always says that she hopes that even if they won't giver HER something in return or help her when she needs it then they will at least help someone else.