Praying in Tongues

edited June 2009 in Faith Issues
Hello.

You know in the prayers for the Pentecost, the readings of the Bible were all about how the apostles prayed "in tongues" - and something about someone "interpreting" such languages.

What exactly was all that about? What happened?

Did they find themselves speaking strange langauges that no one else understood - that was only understandable by one of them (the interpretor) - or was it a language that actually existed?

Comments

• from what i understand (dont take my word for it) that the Apostles' tongues were "altered" (not really but cant think of another word) and that they would talk to a crowd of people who spoke different languages but they would all understand because that was the purpose of the Pentecost-to preach to the nations who spoke to different languages

ask any questions about clarification cuz i know it may not make sense
  • I believe they were speaking different languages that the crowd spoke.

And not just jiberish stuff. 

But protestant churches consider speaking jiberish stuff as "speaking in tongues" like the apostles.  ::)  But in fact, it is demons that make them speak like that.
  • I am pretty sure they didn't speak in "unknown" languages only understood by the interpretor... I think this is how it went:
    They, being fishermen for the most part, knew only one language (probably hebrew, or armanic... the language of the land)... Now when the Holy Spirit came upon them, they went out, filled with courage and went speaking to the crowd. (now the crowd was from all over the world at that time becasue of the feast of the Fifties (one of the 3 major feasts the jews celebrated). And each person in the crowd thought that they were drunkards at first, just blaberring, then, after listening, it started to make sence to them, and they realised they were not drunk, but indeed they were talking to each person in his own language at the same time... (ex. they were speaking french, infront of a multicultural crowd that did not know french, yet everybody in the crowd still understood the word of Truth that they were saying)...
    Hope that was clear enough...
    now what is really cool in this happening is that after having each of the Newly converted "jews" go back to their own country, they somewhat spread the word, so when the Apostles went on to these countries, there was a bit of familiar ground, something they can start building on... something that they can start edifying upon, instead of starting from square one...

Hope that was clear, tell me if you don't get anything, or need clarifications...

Coptic Pharaoh
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=8102.msg104042#msg104042 date=1244769987]
    I am pretty sure they didn't speak in "unknown" languages only understood by the interpretor... I think this is how it went:
    They, being fishermen for the most part, knew only one language (probably hebrew, or armanic... the language of the land)... Now when the Holy Spirit came upon them, they went out, filled with courage and went speaking to the crowd. (now the crowd was from all over the world at that time becasue of the feast of the Fifties (one of the 3 major feasts the jews celebrated). And each person in the crowd thought that they were drunkards at first, just blaberring, then, after listening, it started to make sence to them, and they realised they were not drunk, but indeed they were talking to each person in his own language at the same time... (ex. they were speaking french, infront of a multicultural crowd that did not know french, yet everybody in the crowd still understood the word of Truth that they were saying)...
    Hope that was clear enough...
    now what is really cool in this happening is that after having each of the Newly converted "jews" go back to their own country, they somewhat spread the word, so when the Apostles went on to these countries, there was a bit of familiar ground, something they can start building on... something that they can start edifying upon, instead of starting from square one...

Hope that was clear, tell me if you don't get anything, or need clarifications...

Coptic Pharaoh

actually, i believe the general person spoke 3 languages at the time-hebrew (don't forget they were Jews and spoke hebrew at the temple and when reading from the Torah), aramaic (it was like english today) and latin (remember that the romans had conquered them and so they needed to speak latin)
    just wanted to point that out and i know it probably makes no difference

but you are right about the courage part-Peter went from the coward (no offense to this holy Saint) who denied Jesus to SERVANTS on the night of His arrest to converting thousands of people in one "preaching" or whatever its called--he also DIED as a martyr, without fear

so yes, not only did the Holy Spirit give them tongues, but courage

what good is languages and good speaking skills with being able to stand up in front of a crowd with utmost courage?

PLEASE pray for me
  • AFAIR many of the Fathers have noted that Pentecost is the reversal of God's judgement against mankind at Babel. At Babel man in his pride set himself up as the Lord of his own destiny, and God judged mankind by dividing men in their langauages so that they could not understand each other. Now, at Pentecost, God's blessing comes upon mankind, and there is the sign given of a unity of language, men are united in praising God, where they have been united in setting themselves up against God.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=8102.msg104054#msg104054 date=1244792679]
    AFAIR many of the Fathers have noted that Pentecost is the reversal of God's judgement against mankind at Babel. At Babel man in his pride set himself up as the Lord of his own destiny, and God judged mankind by dividing men in their langauages so that they could not understand each other. Now, at Pentecost, God's blessing comes upon mankind, and there is the sign given of a unity of language, men are united in praising God, where they have been united in setting themselves up against God.

Father Peter

That's a beautiful contemplation!!!

Thanks for that.

What about the question though? What happened? Was it a real language they spoke that they ALL understood? or was it a language that one person (the interpretor) understood only? Was it jibberish?
  • it was not jiberish... they were actual languages...real spoken languages that were understood by everybody... how else would everybody else who believed (3000 of them) believe?
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=8102.msg104054#msg104054 date=1244792679]
    AFAIR many of the Fathers have noted that Pentecost is the reversal of God's judgement against mankind at Babel. At Babel man in his pride set himself up as the Lord of his own destiny, and God judged mankind by dividing men in their langauages so that they could not understand each other. Now, at Pentecost, God's blessing comes upon mankind, and there is the sign given of a unity of language, men are united in praising God, where they have been united in setting themselves up against God.

Father Peter

What do you all think about this statement from Fr. Peter?

I'm really marvelled about that. No one else commented on it.

This is the best contemplation i've heard about the feast of Pentecost. Did anyone hear this before?

Thanks Pharoah.. So the interpretor knew that language also? Thank God for that!
  • I heard this interpretation before at latin's class from a catholic teacher of the greek and latin language  ;)
  • It is the standard patristic interpretation of Pentecost. Here is an excerpt from a homily by St Gregory Nazianzus.

But as the old Confusion of tongues was laudable, when men who were of one language in wickedness and impiety, even as some now venture to be, were building the Tower; for by the confusion of their language the unity of their intention was broken up, and their undertaking destroyed; so much more worthy of praise is the present miraculous one. For being poured from One Spirit upon many men, it brings them again into harmony.

Father Peter
  • i heard this too.
    i have also met people who saw it happen in out time that someone spoke a language they didn't know and a foreigner present heard God speak to him in his own language.
    so far it didn't happen to me, so back to the arabic books...
    ;)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=8102.msg104087#msg104087 date=1245043983]
    i heard this too.
    i have also met people who saw it happen in out time that someone spoke a language they didn't know and a foreigner present heard God speak to him in his own language.
    so far it didn't happen to me, so back to the arabic books...
    ;)

Well, no.. i didnt hear it before.

When on earth was that homily read anyway? I didnt hear it. Its probably my fault.. i came late to the sagda prayers.. I probably missed it.

Im really happy Fr. Peter is giving credit to our Fathers.. that's great. I'd have just pretended that I thought of it myself..