Have you visited St. Anthony's monastery in California?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I'm trying to decide whether to visit a monastery in Egypt of St. Anthony's monastery this summer. Has anyone seen both? Please tell me about your experiences in the california monastery. What was it like? What did you do all day? Is it in the wilderness or is it right next to the city? How does it compare to Egypt's monastaries?
Thanks

Comments

• California is great.. its in a desert.. tasbeha and liturgy everyday in the morning.. its a great feeling to be there and all the monks and everyone are amazing. Many things you can see there like.. the place where St Moses the Black appeared (a tree) , the new church they are building for him, a peice of the cross (very small) and more... i didnt rele spend alot of time in the monastaries in Egypt.. so i cant tell you about that.

and i went with my church (with a preist and alot of youth, so what we did all day was different)
  • The monastery in California is great, I encourage you to go if you have a chance. The program is really nice and has a lot of quiet time for everyone to be able to meditate. Tasbeha starts at 4 and then liturgy usually from 6-8 except on weekends and fasting days. Its in the middle of no where, you have to drive five miles in the dirt road to get to the monastery. All the monks are very helpful and are willing to spend time for your spiritual benefit. When there is a group of people on a retreat, then they arrange for one of the monks to give a small sermon after the agpeya prayer and also there are times dedicated to work/help around the monastery. I live about very close to it, so every now and then I go stay for a few days or a week, so if you have more questions I would be more than happy to answer them if I know the answer, so either PM me or ask in the forum
    I also have been to the monastery in texas and can give you a feedback on the differences

pray for me
  • I prefer the monastery in Egypt. It's so rich with history and culture (for example, the monastery has wall paintings of early church fathers in bright colors, it's absolutely amazing to see how these paintings lasted for 100's of years). St. Anthony's Monastery in Egypt is also one of the biggest and oldest monasteries and theres A LOT to see! There is also a library with neat handwritten manuscripts. You can also climb the mount where St. Anthony lived and take a look at his cave (i suggest you wear comfortable shoes.. its like a 2 km walk). The monks there are also very welcoming (and plenty know english fairly well). They also serve their guests meals and give them a tour around the monastery. This monastery is right next to St. Paul's, so right after your done visiting one, you can visit the next. I also enjoyed the view of the mountains and the sea. I highly recommend visiting this monastery in  Egypt, ohh and I forgot to tell you about tasbeha!! It.. is.. heaven..
    So if you have the chance, this is a must see  ;) !!
  • I haven't been to California, but I've been to Texas and to many of the famous monasteries in Egypt. I think you want to visit (like, look around), Egypt would be richer, especially if you've never seen them. If you're looking to spend a spiritual time (and you don't live in Egypt}, I would suggest Texas or California. While I haven't been to Cali, everyone I know who has has nothing but good things to say about it.

As for Texas, I enjoyed my short stay there. The tasbeha (this was weekdays in Kiahk) starts at 3:00 AM and goes right through with the liturgy ending at 8 AM. Then people tend to go to their rooms to get a little more sleep, wake up around 10ish (at least this is what I did), and start doing work. They have a farm so they were cutting trees, taking care of the animals, pulling weeds, and putting honoot (spices) on pictures of St. Moses. Then around 4 they pray the agpeya prayers. Oh ya, lunch should be around 1-3. The you might have free time or time with your priest if you're with a group. After dinner, one of the monks might give a spiritual word. Then you can do whatever you want or sleep and start over with the tasbeha. It was a great time and I would definately go again, or go to Cali instead.
  • I live in California and have been to the St. Antony Monastery here several times and every time I go it gets harder to leave. All the monasteries are great, so it should just be about convenience for you...which one is closest to you?
  • [quote author=He Wept link=topic=8032.msg103459#msg103459 date=1243055144]
    California is great.. its in a desert.. tasbeha and liturgy everyday in the morning.. its a great feeling to be there and all the monks and everyone are amazing. Many things you can see there like.. the place where St Moses the Black appeared (a tree) , the new church they are building for him, a peice of the cross (very small) and more... i didnt rele spend alot of time in the monastaries in Egypt.. so i cant tell you about that.

and i went with my church (with a preist and alot of youth, so what we did all day was different)
    [quote author=I am all yours Lord link=topic=8032.msg103461#msg103461 date=1243065136]
    The monastery in California is great, I encourage you to go if you have a chance. The program is really nice and has a lot of quiet time for everyone to be able to meditate. Tasbeha starts at 4 and then liturgy usually from 6-8 except on weekends and fasting days. Its in the middle of no where, you have to drive five miles in the dirt road to get to the monastery. All the monks are very helpful and are willing to spend time for your spiritual benefit. When there is a group of people on a retreat, then they arrange for one of the monks to give a small sermon after the agpeya prayer and also there are times dedicated to work/help around the monastery. I live about very close to it, so every now and then I go stay for a few days or a week, so if you have more questions I would be more than happy to answer them if I know the answer, so either PM me or ask in the forum
    I also have been to the monastery in texas and can give you a feedback on the differences

pray for me

I second this 989416861354%. I haven't been to the monasteries in egypt, but St. Antony in California is AMAZING, go every chance you get,  its a BIG blessing and one of the most peaceful places everrr. All the monks and brothers aswell are really nice and VERY helpful! I Love it!
  • Hi

I went to the St Anthony Monastery in California two months ago

We really had fun and I personally benefitted alot

The monks there are very nice and they are friendly

also Abona Anastasi the Abbot he is also amazing

I benefitted spiritually
    and i def recommend that you go

GBU