fasting project !

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Aghaby everyone,  8)
I am doing a church project merely for my benefit and to help my church priest.  He gave me soemthing to do over passion week as well as over the summer.  I am to gather quotes from books, sermons, speeched, lectures or anything i hear or read about fasting.  I will start this project but i wondering if you too can help me and start posting anything you can find about fasting.  It can be from a lecture, a sermon live, or in cd, a saint book, or spiritual book, the bible, agybea  a movie, dvd, a play etc...anything that  mentions fasting as in the Orthodoz faith.  thank you soo much and i am looking foward to this project completely. 

Thanks in advance !!  ;D  ;D

P.S. Feel free to write anytthing and as much as you want.  He wants a big big book he said soo i ahve to fill up those pages.  Thanks!  :)

Comments

• Hey Mahraeel, Here are a few quotes that I love about fasting. 

"What good is it if we abstain from eating birds and fish, but bite and devour our brothers?"-St. John Chrysostom

"Let us fast an acceptable and very pleasing fast to the Lord. True fast is the estrangement from evil, temperance of tongue, abstinence from anger, separation from desires, slander, falsehood, and perjury. Privation of these is true fasting."
    St. Basil the Great

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness

• hey mahraeel, there is a great book about fasting by Pope Shenouda III called the Spirituality of fasting..

you can find it here http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/fasting/index.html

God bless
  • hi mahraeel, good to 'see' you  :)
    i saw this entry on another topic so i am quoting it here in case you missed it:
    [quote author=grace08 link=topic=7779.msg101771#msg101771 date=1239589480]
    Great sermon about the true meaning of fasting

http://www.orthodoxsermons.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=search_result&Itemid=&search_phrase=Fasting%3A+Controlling+What+Comes+Out&search_mode=phrase
  • heyy guys thanks.  i will def. check those out.  thanks a lot.  Btw... thanks Jydeacon but do you think you can please interpret these quotes for me? thanks! :D
    thanks egypt45 and mabsoota good to see you as well ;D

Keep posting.  This project is due to ubouna by Great Lent next year=) 8)

+mahraeel+ :) :)
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7833.msg101785#msg101785 date=1239640072]
    heyy guys thanks.  i will def. check those out.  thanks a lot.  Btw... thanks Jydeacon but do you think you can please interpret these quotes for me? thanks! :D
    thanks egypt45 and mabsoota good to see you as well ;D

Keep posting.  This project is due to ubouna by Great Lent next year=) 8)

+mahraeel+ :) :)

The first quote is basically saying what good is it if we fast from certain foods yet still insult and hurt our brothers and sisters in Christ. As well the second one is explaining what true fasting is such as staying away from evil things, controlling out tongues as well as our tempers, controlling our desires and staying away from the fleshly lusts. Both are basically saying that its not just the food that we need to take care of, but all of those things mentioned.

Blessed Holy Week

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • see the book "on ascetical life" by st isaac of nineveh. it has beautiful verses about how fasting can fill a person with wisdom and understanding of the scriputres and the ability to endure injustice peacefully. YOU MUST SEE IT! i think it is the best book ever written about fasting!!!! i strongly urge you to read the entire book! here is the google books link where you can read most of it for free:

http://books.google.com/books?id=_qlioLjXwEsC&pg=PA23&dq=on+ascetical+life+isaac+of+nineveh#PPA64,M1

the paradise of the fathers has some interesting stories too. and st john chrysostom's "on wealth and poverty" has some material that is somewhat related.

consider this verse, which i interpret to be speaking about the holy communion: proverbs 31:4-6