Who to intercede to?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I have previously lost my self phone and i am trying to pray to find it. I hope this is not wrong. My question was what st. do i ask for intercession for lost items.

Comments

• I know that certain other Christian denominations have a patron saint of just about anything (ex. in Catholocism, the patron saint of hairdressers is St. Martin de Porres) (proof)

As far as I know the Coptic church doesn't view the Saints this way.  If you feel close to any particular saint, and that saint tends to help you build a closer relationship with God then their intercessions will probably benefit you.  Though I'm still not sure that saint will help you find your cell phone  ;).
  • Every Saint can be asked but St. Jude Thaddeus has been known to be the Patron of lost Causes and the impossible and yes, he's an Orthodox Saint ;D.
  • Anba Wanas would be the best one to use
    I assure you you'll find it with him!
    Good Luck
  • marina, i agree...you make it sound so weird though when you say "the best one to use"...maybe the word intercede would sound better...lol

i personally have had experiences with Anba Wannas and have heard a million stories of how people asked for his intercession and found their lost belongings soon after.

what i am wondering is why though? did he do something special in his lifetime? does it have to do with his life story which i am not familiar with?

it would be interesting if someone can tell us...i will try to ask around and find out or maybe look in the synaxarium
  • [quote author=the_least link=topic=7729.msg101301#msg101301 date=1238017811]
    marina, i agree...you make it sound so weird though when you say "the best one to use"...maybe the word intercede would sound better...lol

i personally have had experiences with Anba Wannas and have heard a million stories of how people asked for his intercession and found their lost belongings soon after.

what i am wondering is why though? did he do something special in his lifetime? does it have to do with his life story which i am not familiar with?

it would be interesting if someone can tell us...i will try to ask around and find out or maybe look in the synaxarium

I think it is because of how his body was found. He appeared to a bishop (or priest) and he led him to his body, which had been missing for over a thousand years.
  • I think its just because of the type of miracles that happened when people first got to know Anba Wennis. people who lost things would ask for his intercession, then when the saint's prayers were answered, those people would tell others who lost things to ask for Anba Wennis' intercessions.....so now many people who lose things know that he is the saint to ask for help because he's helped so many people before with the same type of problem.
  • Does noone know his story? Well he used to find things all the time when he was alive. i think it was a girls earings, and one time this girl went missing and he found her, he was always like it was right here in front of you. i suggest u guys watch his movie.
  • the_least lol thats what i mean
    i think anba wanas was 4 years old or around that age range and he was a martyr, but i dont know how hes known for helping people find their lost stuff

Please pray for me and my weaknesses
  • [quote author=deaconwannaB link=topic=7729.msg101317#msg101317 date=1238093507]
    Does noone know his story? Well he used to find things all the time when he was alive. i think it was a girls earings, and one time this girl went missing and he found her, he was always like it was right here in front of you. i suggest u guys watch his movie.

Yeah, the earring story is true and that is why people ask for his help when they lose something.

PK
  • [quote author=marina008 link=topic=7729.msg101320#msg101320 date=1238098705]
    the_least lol thats what i mean
    i think anba wanas was 4 years old or around that age range and he was a martyr, but i dont know how hes known for helping people find their lost stuff

Please pray for me and my weaknesses

He was actually 12 years old when he was martyred. You might be thinking of Saint Keriakos who was martyred at the age of 3 or 4.

PK
  • Thank you guys so much. I found my cellphone after amba wannas interceded for me. Oushkor Allah

Pray for me,
    Michael
  • hey guys i like this thread a lot. Anba wannas and Anba Nofer el sa2eh are very convenient when it comes to these situations, Dont forget anba nofer lol
  • I have a question that is slightly off topic...
    During the midnight praises (tasbeha) we commemorate the saints and we ask for their intercession and prayers.
    For example we ask: St. Mary, the angels, and st john the baptist to name a few to "intercede on our behalf". We also ask: St. Philopateer, st. Abanoub, and st. George to name a few to "pray to the lord on our behalf".
    So my question is: What is the difference between intercessions and prayers? Why do we ask some saints to pray for us and others to intercede for us?

your help would be appreciated. GB.
  • [quote author=Of All Nations link=topic=7729.msg101390#msg101390 date=1238381620]
    I have a question that is slightly off topic...
    During the midnight praises (tasbeha) we commemorate the saints and we ask for their intercession and prayers.
    For example we ask: St. Mary, the angels, and st john the baptist to name a few to "intercede on our behalf". We also ask: St. Philopateer, st. Abanoub, and st. George to name a few to "pray to the lord on our behalf".
    So my question is: What is the difference between intercessions and prayers? Why do we ask some saints to pray for us and others to intercede for us?

your help would be appreciated. GB.

I can provide a partial answer. All I know is that for any heavenly creatures (angels and such), you ask for their intercessions. The only saints who you ask for their intercessions are Saint Mary, Saint John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist. However, for the saints (prophets, martyrs and monks), we ask for their prayers.

PK