Placement of Icons on the Church

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Does anyone know where I can find info on what Icons are placed where in the church.

Thanks,

George

Comments

• Abouna is going to lend me a book on this, does anyone want me to post what I find out?
  • Yes please :)
  • Will be waiting for your post.  :D

In Christ
    Theophilus
  • I dont think there is an order of place icons in the Church but in the Alter area yes there is an order!

Anywhere where the Congrigation sits you can put any Icons of any saints.
  • I'll post what I learn from Abouna's book.

So far I know is that there is one time in the year (I think it's Abghalibsees) that we make a circuit around the church, stopping at specific Icons and sing certain hymns.  Before this can be done properly the icons have to be in the right order.  This much information can be found (I think) in the Bright Saturday book, but I'm interested in finding out if there is more to it.

The Icons on the Iconostasis are somewhat more obvious, but I think there is an arrangement for a full Iconostasis that has three Icons to the far left including Archangel Michael (I think).  Of course there is always an Icon of St. Mary with Jesus immediately to the left of the altar, and a picture of Christ immediately to the right.  I think the full Iconostasis has three other Icons to the far right.  Of course there is a picture of the Passover overhead along with the icons of the twelve Disciples (minus Judas plus Matthias) and one or three ostrich eggs.

I don't know weather there is anything specific inside the altar.  I'm not even sure there is a specific arrangement of the Icons on the seat of the chalice, though I would expect there to be some.

I'm interested in cleaning up my knowledge of these things.

I know that all this hasn't been declared as requirements to perform the liturgy of the Eucharist, but that raises my other curiosity.  What are the minimums?   

I think the seat of the chalice is a must along with the sanctified utensils.  There needs to be bread, but I don't know if there strictly needs to be a basket to present the bread to the Priest.  There needs to be grape wine, but I don’t know if it needs to be kosher, though I am pretty sure it needs to be red (definitely no sake  :P), and I'm pretty sure there needs to be water for the baptism of the chosen qurban and to mix with the wine.  There needs to be a Priest (or higher).  I think there needs to be one deacon (psaltos, agnostos, epidiakon, OR diakon), and one layman.  I don’t know if candles are an absolute requirement, or if being indoors is a requirement, but I’m pretty sure the altar needs to be raised up somehow though not necessarily a permanently sanctified altar.

I’ll share what I find out.
  • [quote author=GArgiriadis link=topic=7669.msg100777#msg100777 date=1236278977]
    I'll post what I learn from Abouna's book.

So far I know is that there is one time in the year (I think it's Abghalibsees) that we make a circuit around the church, stopping at specific Icons and sing certain hymns.  Before this can be done properly the icons have to be in the right order.  This much information can be found (I think) in the Bright Saturday book, but I'm interested in finding out if there is more to it.

I think you may mean Palm Sunday along with the two Feasts of the Cross, rather than Bright Saturday :) And thanks for the post!
  • Thank you tshori,

That helps narrow it down a bit.  :D

George
  • from what i've read/heard for the eucharist to take place there needs to be 1 priest, 1 deacon (doesn't need to be a full deacon) and 1 other person (deacon, priest or layperson) plus bread (has yeast, no salt), non-alcoholic red grape wine and water.
    requirements can be lessoned in prison, famine, when hiding in caves etc etc. it is the consecration which is important.
    i'm not sure about the minimum no. of candles.
    my church rents an anglican church building (is like episcopal church) so we usually only have 1 or 2 icons and no iconostasis. we don't notice the lack of icons as our priest prays with such passion, care and devotion that we easily focus on the liturgy.
    we have lovely icon pictures on the projector. our sister churches in the area have excellent icons, so its not far for us to travel to venerate some.
    i'm pretty sure it's allowed to have liturgy without icons if you don't have any.
  • Is it really non-alcoholic wine??

That is interesting...
  • i don't know the exact constitution but i went to a talk where the priest said it does not have alcohol and its made from grapes.
    don't know if they have to get it made specially
    :)