An eye for an eye?

edited May 2009 in Faith Issues
Hi,

Look, I am a tough guy,real tough guy.When i saw a clip from CNN, I cried like a small baby.The extent that some people go to harm others has no bounds.What is even more troubling is that the perpetrator claims he harmed the once beautiful girl out of love and he has no regrets for his demonic actions.The girl won a court case to have her attacker taste his own medicine, an eye for an eye that is. She is a Muslim and her decison might be alright with her faith ,but I as a christian ,after I saw what was done to her kind of agreed with her decision,eventhough that goes against my faith. I will attac the clip and it is not for the fainted hearted.Please watch it at your own discretion as directed CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/02/19/acid.attack.victim/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Comments

• What was done to her was inhumane and totally uncalled for. The guy was obsessive and  living in an islamic culture that condones honor killing and blinding innocent people made this possible. Secularly, modern society would say blind him too, eye for an eye! In God's kingdom the believer is called to forgive him and pray for him. Islamically, he ruined her life and any possibility to marry. Thus eye for an eye. This has happened to many Christian girls in Pakistan and other Mid East countries. If everybody followed eye for an eye then the whole world would be blind! We in Christ see through His Light as taught by the Gospel. Let's pray for her and other victims of such cruel and viscious attacks! 
  • Thanks for your feedback.I believe it is humanely impossible to forgive someone who gravely wronged you  and I think it takes a miracle to forgive and forget. It must be a miracle and that is why we do not practice it as often as we should.
  • yes this is terrible but vengeance cures nothing. in islamic law she is in the right, but this is not something any Orthodox Christian should call for. Boricua is right, we should pray for them both and hope that this heinous punishment is not carried out.
  • I don't know about that Ioannes.

I agree 100% that forgiveness is essential regardless of the seriousness of the crime, and I also agree that the victim should not be the one to chose the punishment for a crime.

Where I disagree is weather or not the punishment should be carried out.  The person who did that is probably too morally corrupt to acually understand forgiveness.  Ideally, the common practice could be to teach him.  The problem is that there are many more people out there just as morally corrupt who would do something similar to someone in the future.  Those people need a very concrete reason to not do similar crimes, maybe not the exact sentence prescribed here, but it would need to be severe enough to protect possible future victims.

George
  • [quote author=GArgiriadis link=topic=7651.msg100842#msg100842 date=1236464063]
    I don't know about that Ioannes.

I agree 100% that forgiveness is essential regardless of the seriousness of the crime, and I also agree that the victim should not be the one to chose the punishment for a crime.

Where I disagree is weather or not the punishment should be carried out.  The person who did that is probably too morally corrupt to acually understand forgiveness.  Ideally, the common practice could be to teach him.  The problem is that there are many more people out there just as morally corrupt who would do something similar to someone in the future.  Those people need a very concrete reason to not do similar crimes, maybe not the exact sentence prescribed here, but it would need to be severe enough to protect possible future victims.

George

I agree George, I think forgiveness and punishment are not two opposites...

Recently Egypt has taken a historical step in women rights when court ruled that 10 men who kidnapped a woman from her house and raped her be given the death sentence each..
    Rape numbers have been growing in Egypt, unfortunatley and we hear about those crimes way too much, so although I'm anti capital punishment, I did like the court giving those men the most severe punishment available in Egyptian law..
    Hopefully this will set an example and save many future rape victims...

For the law to be obeyed, there have to be consequences, and the more severe those are, the more someone is going to think twice before committing a certain crime..

If the woman can forgive the man who did this to her, then it's good for her, meaning, she will benefit most from that forgiveness, because she'll be able to live in peace, for anger and vengeance are like a fire that consumes its owner, but for the common good of society people have to be punished..

God bless
  • [quote author=Mozes link=topic=7651.msg100369#msg100369 date=1235085801]
    Hi,

Look, I am a tough guy,real tough guy.When i saw a clip from CNN, I cried like a small baby.The extent that some people go to harm others has no bounds.What is even more troubling is that the perpetrator claims he harmed the once beautiful girl out of love and he has no regrets for his demonic actions.The girl won a court case to have her attacker taste his own medicine, an eye for an eye that is. She is a Muslim and her decison might be alright with her faith ,but I as a christian ,after I saw what was done to her kind of agreed with her decision,eventhough that goes against my faith. I will attach the clip and it is not for the fainted hearted.Please watch it at your own discretion as directed CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/02/19/acid.attack.victim/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

I read about this story on bbc.co.uk ages ago. It is quite sad; however, if she wants to do to the man what he had done to her (i.e. make her blind) then it is clearly revenge. She cannot say that she is doing this to make sure he doesnt do it anyone else. if she wants to make sure that he doesnt do it to anyone else, then he must be put in prison. But gosh... in Islam, they have no forgiveness. THey truley believe in revenge - don't they??

• It is always good to say rabana yesamhak!
    And never ever ever wish for something bad to happen to other people, my ex fience was always wishing for bad things to happen to people who upseted him bas it doesn't work that way!
    Forgiving is good.

and like Val said ...... she def. want to blind him for revenge and not to make sure it doesn't happen again!

pray for me,
    bentababayassoa`