Prophecies of Egypt

Anyone have any comments / more information about the prophecies of Egypt in Isaiah 19:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah 19&version=NKJV

Especially the last few verses

Comments

• Oh awesome, thanks!

Doh, online version cuts out Isaiah chapter 19. I'll see if I can find it in the uni library.
  • I can see ch 19 when I view the book????
  • it's page 163. google books usually doesn't let u see all the pages. sometimes it helps to try again another time. that's so people don't stop buying books.
    ;D
  • Favourite:  'OUt of Egypt I have called my Son."
  • Interesting, for me 103 - 175 and 179 - 222 "are not shown in this preview". Hmm maybe it has to do with copyright in US v. UK. Either way, my school's library had it. Thanks all for the links.
  • a summary of isaiah 19 for those who couldn't read it:

Isaiah 19
    Abouna Tadros Yacoub Malaty

Section 1. The Holy Family.
    v1. ‘See the Lord rides on a swift cloud’.
    This is ‘light swift cloud’ in the septugaint version. Saint Cyril the Great says this is Saint Mary.
    During the escape of the Holy family to Egypt, God revealed Egypt’s spiritual wounds, in order to bring there the Kingdom of God.

Section 2. Chastising Egypt: Fruits of uncleanness.
    1. v2. Civil wars.
    These are a natural fruit of Egypt’s isolation from God. Isolating ourselves from God causes us to loose our inner harmony. Our inner life is turned into a battlefield where the body wrestles with the soul. When God takes over leadership, man submits wholly to Him and lives in harmony with Him. The body supports the soul in its worship. The senses and emotions become sanctified and work hand in hand with a pure mind, with a good and holy will in the Lord.

2. v3. Loss of true wisdom.
    Acts 7:20 tells us Moses was learned in the wisdon of the Egyptians. By isolating themselves from God they were left to seek the counsel of idols.

3. v4. Suffering cruel masters.
    God permitted them to have hard leaders who treated them as they had treated others. This also happens to us in our daily life. What we sow to others, we reap in our personal life.

4. v5 – 10. Suffering drought.
    This affected the whole of daily life and caused man to loose his inner peace.

5. v11 – 13. Loss of wise counsellors.
    Foolishness prevailed, even in Zoan, the ancient capital of Egypt. It had been said in 1 Kings 4:30 ‘Solomon’s wisdom exceeded the wisdom of all the men of the East and all the wisdom of Egypt’. But that wisdom disappeared because man isoloated himself from God, the source of all wisdom. The rulers of Noph (Memphis), the capital of Upper Egypt were deceived.

6. v14 – 15. Loss of conciousness and entering into a condition of drunkenness.
    Whenever man drinks from the chalice of sin, he aimlessly staggers like a drunkard, unable to edify himself or others. This is the most dangerous situation for him, life is tasteless.

7. v16 – 17. Shuddering with fear.
    By this description, the Lord encourages Judah to have no fear of Pharoah and to avoid making an alliance with him.

Section 3. Blessings from the altar of the Lord.
    a. v18 1st part. A new language.
    These 5 cities are the senses of the believer. As the nations come to faith in the Lord Christ, they surrender their senses into His hands. They are sanctified to speak the language of the spirit instead of the language of the flesh. In Mark 14:70 and Matthew 26:73, Peter was told ‘your speech shows it.’ The work of the Holy Spirit in our life carries our life to heaven, to experience heaven deep inside us and to share with the heavenly hosts their liturgies and incessant joy. We are not to be a ‘people of obscure speech and difficult language’ as in Ezekiel 3:5.

v18 2nd part. Swearing by the Lord of hosts.
    Instead of swearing by the names of idols, the nations (including Egypt) counted the Lord’s name as the source of their strength.

v18 3rd part. ‘One will be called the city of the sun’. [My edit, this is what it says in the Arabic translation I have, and Father Tadros’ book was translated from Arabic. In the NIV it is called the ‘city of destruction’. I’m sorry I can’t check it in the Hebrew version!]
    That refers to Heliopolis, which was the centre of the worship of the sun. It was transformed from this to the worship of the Sun of Righteousness. In the Septugaint it is ‘the righteous city’.

v19 – 20. Setting an altar to the Lord.
    This is the altar of the church of the New Testament. The Holy family spent 3 years and 6 months in Upper Egypt where the monastery of the Virgin Mary ‘El Meharrak’ is now located. ‘The pillar at its border is Saint Mark, the apostle, who came to Alexandria, at the border of Egypt to preach the gospel so the Egyptians would be delivered by the Lord Jesus Himself.

v21. Spiritual knowledge.
    Saint Clement of Alexandria wrote that this knowledge consists of contemplation, keeping the commandments and teaching people.

v22. Inner healing.
    God allowed Egypt to be struck, to chasten it for its weakness and to let it discover its need for a saviour. He is the healer of wounds and restorer of souls. Saint Ephram the Syrian said ‘Blessed is the (Physician) who descended and amputated without pain; healed our wounds by a non-bitter medication, sent His Son as a (Medication) to heal sinners!’

v23 – 25. Peace.
    The conflict between Egypt and Assyria was flaring at the time of Isaiah and other nations (including Israel) were victims of that conflict. The coming of the Lord of Glory, Jesus Christ brought peace to all and all can worship together. The Lord Christ is ‘The Way’ in which all nations gather together, to enjoy spiritual unity and a flood of blessings. This gathering together as sharing of divine blessings and eternal inheritance of Egypt, Assyria and Israel is a portrait of the catholic church. In the church, all become members enjoying the divine work.
  • I was allowed to read these pages too using Firefox.
    There is a code or script that randomly limits the number of pages to be read.

If you browse the book another time in a different way you can read these unavailable pages, unless the code checks or includes your IP number in its calculation.

Thanks Father Peter for the good reference and mabsoota for the quotes.

EDIT:
    try this link to read from page 192:
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iLko35Hh-JMC&pg=PA192#v=onepage&q&f=false

if you still can't, download this:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/y362d25844ymv31/Isaiah_19_googleB.zip

GBU
  • I'd like to mention that the book I posted and the one Father Peter posted are different. The one I posted is by Fr. Tadros Malaty while the one Fr. Peter posted was by a publishing company and includes writings from the Church Fathers. It is page 192 in the one Fr. Peter posted, which shows a certain percentage of the book.