ENGLISH TUTORING

edited August 2011 in Youth Corner

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=9608.msg118311#msg118311 date=1282099552]
    This is a great service you are doing.

Pray for me.

lolololololololoolollol...
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=9608.msg118325#msg118325 date=1282109959]
    [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=9608.msg118311#msg118311 date=1282099552]

Pray for me.

Thank you, please pray for me a lot.

[quote author=kirollos3 link=topic=9608.msg118316#msg118316 date=1282101148]
    [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=9608.msg118311#msg118311 date=1282099552]

Pray for me.

lolololololololoolollol...

hahahaha i get it...you like to laugh!  :)

lol .. he is just making me laugh ... hahaha 
  • great .. so how do you teach english ..
  • Is that English English or American English?
  • Godislove,

Do you prefer:  favor or favour; Savior or Saviour; encyclopdia or encyclopaedia?
  • It's funny, I tend to use the British spelling with religious issues and items, and for everything else, American spelling.
  • it not a problem as long it is making sense
  • Godlovesme,

I have no strong reason.  Maybe because of the influence of the religious books I have read there is a European translation influence in them, e.g., the books by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9608.msg118405#msg118405 date=1282211073]
    Godlovesme,

I have no strong reason.  Maybe because of the influence of the religious books I have read there is a European translation influence in them, e.g., the books by His Holiness Pope Shenouda III.

i think that might be so because most of the translators are egyptians....
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9608.msg118405#msg118405 date=1282211073]
    Godlovesme,

As someone who comes from the family who translated, printed and published a lot of these books for the Pope, I'm really glad that you liked the English.

Unfortunately, we had to use a typesetting machine to get this done (this was WAAAAYYY before laser printers were around).

• [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9608.msg118409#msg118409 date=1282220159]

As someone who comes from the family who translated, printed and published a lot of these books for the Pope, I'm really glad that you liked the English.

Unfortunately, we had to use a typesetting machine to get this done (this was WAAAAYYY before laser printers were around).

hahahahahahahaha
  • I noticed the same, and I must admit, i think it's a shame we didn't translate them.

Which books are you referring to?
  • wait and you want to translate word by word
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=9608.msg118431#msg118431 date=1282258832]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9608.msg118428#msg118428 date=1282249717]
    I noticed the same, and I must admit, i think it's a shame we didn't translate them.

Which books are you referring to?

His most recent book Have You Seen the One I Love? is translated beautifully and professionally.  However, I am currently reading Contemplations on the Sermon on the Mount and there are mistakes left and right.  Sometimes I have to read the same sentence twice before I can understand what they are trying to say.  There are a lot of other books like this, almost in every one I have picked up.

[quote author=kirollos3 link=topic=9608.msg118430#msg118430 date=1282249806]
    wait and you want to translate word by word

Haha, see...here's the problem with the translations...sometimes they translate it word for word, but they do not realize that the English language has an entirely different structure than Arabic so they use the Arabic language structure and it totally doesn't make sense in English.  Also, their choice of words is not always accurate (There was one book that I picked up that was so horribly translated into English, I had to pick up the Arabic version and read it so I can understand what the story was about).  While the Arabic language contains words that cannot be described in English and the English language contains words that cannot be described in Arabic, there are many many words that have exact translations.  Also, they do not look at the words in their context.  For example, they may use a word in English that has two different meanings, but they don't use it accurately to relay the meaning that the Arabic conveys.  How does this happen?  They use a dictionary that only gives them all the definitions of a single word, but not when it is appropriate to use them (I have one of those, very frustrating to use).  I do intend on getting at least a minor in standard Arabic and I do intend to retranslate these books when I work on my graduate degree in a year or so.

Zoxsasi, we should get together and translate them!

Pray for me.

Those books you mentioned, we didn't do them.

The books we DID do, Actually, I didnt do them - my family did. But I read these books anyway a lot, and I must admit, they are well done.

Yes, I came across some books that are not so well translated and this is awful. But we were the prefered choice for translating some of the most important books by His Holiness. This required a deep knowledge of Orthodox Theology.

My mother, in just translating ONE sentence, would spend an entire day researching the meaning and interpretation. After having produced 12 or so books on the lives of saints out of love for the saints, H.Holiness asked my parents if they wouldnt mind doing some major books for him. Of course they didnt say no.

Anyway, we printed loads, and I have a great sense of pride whenever I go into a Coptic Church and see our books there - anywhere in the world.

I can get you discounts if you want! Just PM me and we'll ship some over to you. (Really at good cost).