Numb to Music. Because of Sports?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hey,
I'm a teenage boy with quite a problem.

All my life I've loved music. It's always been something I enjoyed. I am a musician who's been practicing music for the past couple years. (I play guitar as my main instrument) I was addicted. I couldn't get enough. I listened to music the majority of my day, everyday and was happy. I never was into sports and my athleticism was pretty low.

A couple months ago I forced myself to give it up for Holy Week and I was successful in doing so. But when I came back to music, I was extremely disappointed. It didn't make me feel anything. I couldn't like a song or hate a song. All songs sounded the same. Plain, dull, emotionless, just noise pretty much. I was bummed. I didn't know what to do.

A few weeks before I discovered music had lost it's effect, I picked up football (American) at school, to get in shape mainly. I instantly feel in love with the sport. I never got into it before but the day I showed up to my first lifting session I was in love. I was still in love with music but that faded away weeks later.

Now I'm confused, I've been trying to find a solution to my problem for months. I've tried changing genres, taking more breaks from music, forcing myself to listen to it. Nothing worked. Music did nothing. It sounds so plain and I don't even remember how great it used to be. I now find it very insignificant and something I can live without. Which I never thought I could live without it before.

I was also into hymns and tasbeha tremendously. I know a lot of the church hymns by heart and loved them but unfortunately, EVEN GOD'S MUSIC had the same effect on me. That's what got me. Also, the songs that I do listen to that are not "Christian" are very appropriate in sound and words. No swears, no mushy lovey stuff, but they sing about world peace and brotherhood, etc. Therefore, I don't think it was a message from God saying: Stop listening to non-Christian music, which is probably what some of you would think to answer.

Could my new hobby of playing football have anything to do with it?
Should I just quit playing music/listening to music and never look back?
Does anyone know if this is treatable?

I'm in desperate need for a solution. I really don't want to quit what I loved and treasured so dearly. I just want it to return to me again.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated,
also, feel free to ask for more details,
Thanks.

Also:
I can recall a time though when I was in the car listening to a worship song (East to West - Casting Crowns) and almost CRIED this was weeks ago and that was the only time since that music did anything special with me. Also, if I find a brand new song I could listen to it over and over again for a day and it would sound "Ehh" but better then nothing. But then I'd drop it after a day or so and would never listen to it again. That's how I'm currently copping with my problem.

Also, inspirational songs that talk about will power and such are "Ehh" but that's it.

Comments

• maybe u tired yrself out!
    we are capable of only a limited amount of emotion.
    when u r young u feel like u have an endless capacity for everything, but eventually u start to run out of energy or emotions.
    i mean u can't be passionate about everything all the time.
    so i think this is not a serious problem.

i think, though, you should channel some of your energy into reading the Bible and praying and talking to God. this doesn't have to be with music. u may find u don't 'feel' like it, but as u are realising, emotions are not a reliable guide.

one of the best things about getting old, is that your emotions calm down a bit. until then, enjoy them, but don't rely on them 100%
    ;)
  • Hmm. Thanks for the response.
    I liked what you said and am very grateful that you responded in the first place.
    You sound a lot like my mother.  ;D
    I also like how you said :
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9502.msg117069#msg117069 date=1280179124]
    i think, though, you should channel some of your energy into reading the Bible and praying and talking to God. this doesn't have to be with music. u may find u don't 'feel' like it, but as u are realizing, emotions are not a reliable guide.

Because that is what I strive to live by. Doing things because you should not because you feel or don't feel like it. (Ever since the whole football thing) it made me grow fast and release that I can't rely on mommy and daddy all my life and I got to take responsibility of my Mental, Social, Physical, Emotional and Spiritual health.

You helped me open my eyes to the fact that the reason this whole "music fatigue" happened because I grew out of that phase. The phase of being dependent, unreliable, inconsistent, and an emotional baby about everything and that if something is bothering me, don't just listen to music. Do Something About it!

I've grown out of that phase and into "Pre-mature" adulthood (like I said) ever since I've started lifting for football. So I didn't "need" music anymore to be happy/successful. I need perseverance, will-power, and discipline.

You are an eye-opener with a five-star post. You helped me learn a lot about myself and I thank you infinitely for your post.

I will also be reading The Bible more often and praying to God to help me with my new journey in life and to be successful in it.

ALSO, DO NOT STOP POSTING, THIS WAS A GREAT EYE OPENER BUT IF ANYONE SEES ANYTHING I MAY BE MISSING PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO WRITE. THIS IS NOT YET A "RESOLVED POST" (even though the problem is resolved)

Under God,
    ChristOnly

P.S. I am listening to music and having a blast as I write this post to celebrate the joy that came with this realization. I now need to find the balance in my life between Football, weight lifting, music, Academics, and most importantly my Health: Metal, Physical, Emotional, Social and of course: SPIRITUAL.
  • Maybe football is your new passion. It's my passion too, but I can only watch it, not play it, because of a knee injury I sustained 2 years ago.

But, you can include God in everything. A good move was "Facing the Giants." There was lots of emphasis on the idea of "Win, praise God; lose, praise God." After each win and after each practice you go through without any injuries, you should thank God. He is the only thing you can have on your mind while you're playing where you won't be distracted and your performance won't be hindered.
  • Football may be a new passion; but can you only have one passion at a time?

Under God,
    ChristOnly
  • So then I CAN enjoy explosive fitness and music at the same time.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for.
    I'm starting to get a little better with the music now that I understand my situation a better but nothing compared to what I had before football.
    I think they jeopardize each other a little.

Like I mentioned, motivational, will-power, and perseverance songs work well with me better than anything else before. Because that's what applies to my life-style more now. Even though it does give a quite different experience then before.

I think the reason why music works the way it does is because it applies to your lifestyle. That's why some suicidal people would listen to very dark, hateful music. Party people like a lot of techno and hip-hop beats and of course, Christians listen to hymns and spiritual songs.

Interesting, but then that leaves me thinking how people are still able to enjoy a song just for it's instrumental presence or even an instrumental song. Could it be because of the way it is presented? Dark, Happy, Sad, Hateful, Fast, Slow? Even though there are no words?

Instrumental music doesn't work for me anymore.

Tell me what you think.

Under God,
    ChristOnly

P.S. Also, a lot of you are almost saying "let go" of music completely but this isn't reasonable since I have thousands of dollars worth on musical instruments, recording equipment, accessories, etc.

Plus it's a skill I've been developing for years and I would feel like I wasted all that time for nothing.

Finally, I have a lot of people whether it be school or church that depend on me for playing things at certain events.

So I can't really just give it up, but at the same time it's hard to be good at something you don't feel/like doing.
  • Thanks for the comforting post yousiegtennis.
    But as I wait, should I wait for this month long stage, should I be listening to music at all?

I have already tried changing genres, amount of time I listen and had it removed from my life completely for a week.

Do you think I should continue to listen or stop?
    If I stop when do I know to come back?
    It's been since March, isn't it a bit long to be a stage? (Especially since I'm not depressed)

Your Response would be greatly appreciated,
    Under God,
    Christ Only