Anglican-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum in the UK

A meeting of the Anglican-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum took place at Lambeth Palace yesterday, 15th June.

This forum exists to promote contacts between the Anglican and Oriental Orthodox communities in the UK, and to provide a context in which discussions about the practical and spiritual challenges facing both communions can take place.

At this last meeting His Grace Bishop Angaelos of the Coptic Orthodox Church was nominated as the Oriental Orthodox co-chair, and Father Peter Farrington of the British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate was nominated the Oriental Orthodox co-secretary.

A fruitful conversation took place among the representative Anglican and Oriental Orthodox bishops and priests, and plans were discussed for the future direction of the Forum.

Father Peter Farrington

Comments

• May Our Lord Jesus Christ bless the Forum with plenty of edifying spirituality.
    Congratulations, may the Lord guide your path.

Please pray for me.
    GBU
  • CONGRATS ABOUNA!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
    YOU DESERVED IT!
  • That's wonderful to hear. God Bless

I've always dreamed of living in a place where everyone was an Orthodox Christian. I wonder what it was like back then in Egypt where everyone was Coptic Orthodox. There was a time when that was true, right?
  • It was probably not true. Or at least it was not true for very long.

For the first centuries there were large pagan and Jewish populations. Even when paganism began to be persecuted there were pagans, especially outside of Alexandria. Perhaps for a short time paganism was eliminated, but there were still Jews. Then of course the Muslim conquest changed everything.

So perhaps in the 5th/6th centuries Egypt was pretty much Orthodox - although of course there were always those who adopted the outward form of the state religion and did not really have faith.

Father Peter