Dying Muslim Baby Receiving Baptism Not By Priest?

edited December 2004 in Faith Issues
Hey, I don't remember where I heard this, I think it was at a convention but I'm not sure, but I heard that there was a dying baby ( I think muslim, I don't remember :-\), so this lady gets some water and prays on it or does something with it, and puts it on the baby, then the baby is saved because it is baptised so it doesn't have its original sin with it.
Is that true that a woman can do that and in that manner? Sorry the details were umm, not detailed..... but it was confusing me.....

Comments

• hey LordHaveMercy.. i kno that u guys won't take my words seriously bcz i'm really dumb but let me just say this it is sooooo not true bcz nobody can baptise a person except 4 abouna.. but it wuda been true if she did that w/ her blood.. thats the ONLY way other than by abouna.. ::)
    i kno i'm probably just being stupid and i don't make sense but i tried ok? :D

Rina ;)
  • Oh wow, I never knew you could do that, so what would the woman have to do? Cut herself and throw the blood on the baby? And no, of course you're not dumb, you have really really good posts and I enjoy reading them.... :D < - I love that smiley face. ;D

Thanks!
  • yes...
    let me give u a hypethetical.

husband and wife just have given birth to a beautiful baby boy in australia, now they want to baptise this very same baby in egypt. hence they get on a plane and go to egypt, while enjoying their vegitarian plane food- as their flying to egypt during the siam (fasting) the captain of the plane reports there maybe some tirbulation, the plane starts to shake, however it passes. whilst the mother glances out the window, the captain again announces theres goin to be some more tirbuation, this time the plain shakes vigorously, however it passes.

they then safely land the plain in egypt. however they realise that the baby, which they named George was coughing terribley, so they immediatly took him to the airport docter. now very hesitant, the parents meet the doctor, the docter unfortunatly states that the child contracted a very rare and uncurable disease and due to his age, he does have long to live. the parents in shock dont know wat to do they want to call the priest to come immediately, but due to the remoteness of the airport, he wood neva make it in time baptise the perishing baby. the mother has no choose, with a tear in her eye, she draws some of her blood, and
    gently smears a cross on the baby's head, at this moment, the baby was baptised. the baby than died shortly.

this baby being placed in such a situation was baptised by the blood of his mother.

• im sorry i carried on a bit, but atleast this way, you'll never forget the mother has the authority to baptise the child, wen placed in a very comprimiseing situation.
  • :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
    soz lol i never new that how cool is that pretty good huh
  • GJI,‎
    I like your example. One thing I would like to mention is our Coptic church encourages ‎us to baptize our children ASAP. We do NOT wait for a special priest, going to a specific ‎church, or waiting to go to Egypt. In fact, that was brought up with an abouna once, he ‎said, If the new born is not healthy or whatever, you do NOT have to wait the 40/80 days, ‎the father could be the Ishbeen (or guardian). Even the very first day the baby is born. ‎

There is a story in our Coptic church tradition about a woman who was traveling with her ‎children (I think more than one). I don’t know if she was going to baptize her children, or ‎she believed on the ship, but bottom line is she wanted her children baptized. the Ship ‎was going thru some tough weather and they expect to crash. She quickly baptized them ‎in the sea water and she cut herself and anointed them with her blood in the sign of the ‎cross. Fortunately, the ship made it to the city where she was to baptize her children. ‎After the priest prayed on the water. the first child comes and the water would disappear. ‎As soon as the boy steps away, there is water in the basin. The tried it with the other ‎children, same thing. finally an angel appeared to the priest and told him that the kids ‎were baptized already by the blood of their mother. and it is unlawful to baptize them ‎again. ‎

There are some variations of this story where the water turns to stone. Bottom line is, it is ‎a true story to support the idea of baptism by blood but under EXTREME circumstances. ‎Waiting to baptize the baby in Egypt or in the monastery, or by abouna this or that does ‎Not qualify.‎

Just my 2 cents.‎
  • can a husband baptise a baby>

[shadow=red,left][glow=green,2,300]- Roaming[/glow][/shadow]
  • Baptism is one of the Church Sacraments, the First one that any believer has to go thru. It ‎is only officiated by a priest. Here is more about baptism, it may help clarify things better ‎than I ever could.‎

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/thecopticchurch/sacraments/1_baptism.htm
  • nice, thnx guys.
  • but can the father do it, or is it preferable the mother?
  • Oh wow, lots of info everyone!! Thanks! :D And yeah, I wanna know too, can a father do it?