What does the Coptic church explanation for Christ's date of birth?

edited March 2010 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Dear brothers and sisters,

What does the Coptic Church say about the length of the time between Adam & Eve and Christ? What explanation does it provide to justify the duration and answer questions (for example, from protestants) about why God waited that long to come in flesh?

Also, why didn't God the Father or God the Holy Spirit come in flesh? Why is it that it is God the Son that became human? Do the Egptian protestants raise such questions on the Coptic Church at all?

Sheba

Comments

• [quote author=Sheba link=topic=9045.msg112650#msg112650 date=1270007035]
    Also, why didn't God the Father or God the Holy Spirit come in flesh? Why is it that it is God the Son that became human? Do the Egptian protestants raise such questions on the Coptic Church at all?
    Sheba

I think a simple answer is that the Son is God in the flash. It's simply the dafination or the common belief of the Holy Trinity. For example, as I was always taught to not complicate things: the Father wills, the Son does and the Holy Spirit confirms....and that is what is seen in the Economy of God to the salvation of mankind.

As for Protestants in Egypt, I personnaly think that they just take advantage of the simiplicity of the Christian people in Egypt; those who are in the far upper Egypt areas where people don't have much theological education. For example, if Protestants tell them out loud and clear that they don't believe in Saint Mary's intercessions, non would follow them because even Muslims like saint Mary and actually many of them just fast her fast with us. So I think protestants normally stay away from exposing themselves much to keep  their followers.
  • Thank you minagir.

The protestants in Eth have many questions but none of them are as fundamental as such ones because they can't explain them with out refering to the teaching of great fathers who explain how God exists in Trinity.

About the time gap though, I wait for answers. 5500 years is what is taught by Ethiopian church. Is it thesame in Coptic church?

But I havent gotten the chance to learn more about why God decided it to be 5500 years. I just know that it is 5500 and I couldn't reason out when talking with my protestant freind.'

Sheba
  • It all comes down to whether you take the "days" that God created the world in as "24-hour days" or long eras of time.

pray for me

joe