Commemration of the archangel

So i was just thinking for every saint we commemorate the day they die, or were martyred. But who chooses the dates for the angels? and is there a particular reason they choose that date?

Archangel Michael: the 12th of each month
Archangel Gabriel: kiahk 22 baramhat 30 baona 13
Archangel Suriel: toba 27

and why dont we commemrate the other archangels?

god bless,

Abanoub

Comments

• Good question... never thought of it myself! I'll ask and let you know :)
  • So, I asked my dad and he said that each of the archangels has a feast day (it's in the little calendar you get from church)... it's just that Archangel Michael gets a commemoration every month to remind everyone of all that he's done!

hope that helps. God Bless.
  • Yeah i get that part but is there a significance to giving him the twelveth of each month?

and what did suriel do exactly? I dont know too much about him?

0h and axum the synixxarium you posted mentions angels i've never heard of.... like Raguel?
  • 0h and axum the synixxarium you posted mentions angels i've never heard of.... like Raguel?

You can disregard it if you feel that there is nothing to learn from it .
  • for archangel Michael, he's celebrated every twelfth of the month, because his feast is on the twelfth of hator... and just like the feast of saint Mary, the church found that this is not enough for him, so they made the twelfth of every month his commemoration.

for archangel Gabriel... we see one is during the fast of advent, where he told saint Mary that she will conceive the Christ, one day after her feast... then 30 baramhat... baramahat is the month that has the feast of the prophet Denial... also one day prior... it is the commemoration of the annunciation. in paona, its the day after the commemoration of archangel Michael, and he's the second after archangel Michael...

archangel Suriel, his commemoration is in the beginning of February, which is the time before Jonah's fast and lent (most of the time) as it says int he synaxarium, "He is also the intercessor on behalf of sinners." so its a reminder for us for repentance, and what is about to happen soon!

these are some contemplative meanings of these date... the church chose many dates for different events, like what day the prophets did such and such, no one really knows, but the church chose a special timing for such an even, so that the believers would benefit... for example can you tell me the exact date that Christ was born in? no one knows the day, but the fathers chose a day, same with resurrection... do you know what day Christ rose from the dead? but rather the church chose it to be in the summer, and to always fall on a Sunday...  so when you are puzzled to why this day or that day, read the readings of that day, and see what benefit the church tried to make you feel by that!

why don't we commemorate all the other archangels?

well because we really mention them everyday... plus if we commemorate all the archangels, then are we going to leave all the other orders of the heavenly? which we do mention also everyday in every tasbeha, and raising of incense!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el barka!
  • I believe the reason we celebrate the feast of Archangel Michael is because he performed a miracle for Aristopolos and Theopisti on Hator 12. He also did a miracle for another person (I forget the name) and it also fell on the 12th of another Coptic month. Just like six of 10 commemorations for the Virgin occur on the 21st a month and the Church made every 21st of the month her commemoration, the same reason applied to Archangel Michael. I believe the story of Archangel Michael is found in a homily by St. John Chyrsostom, preserved in Coptic from the Pierpont Morgan Library. I'll have to check the exact reference.

Archangel Suriel is called Uriel in the Book of Tobit. I don't know why he is called "the joy of hearts". I guess it was a term used by a famous father that stuck.

The other archangels mentioned in the Commemoration of the saints in the Midnight Psalmody are not found in any other document. We know they exist and we have written evidence in the Ethiopic synaxarium and the Ethiopian Book of Enoch. Of course, the Ethiopians used different names for the remaining 4 archangels. I don't know anything more about the remaining archangels.

I hope this helped.
    George