Comments

• well i know for fact [from my muslim friends at least] that once a suitor presents himself, the family must ask around about it him.  if they accept to have him court their daughter, the couple are left alone in a room [inside the bride's family's house] where she reveals her face.  If he accepts, he will court her until they get engaged and eventually married, if not he simply leaves.
  • ya haram! I feel so bad for her! He obviously found some good traits in her to hold a marriage (ie good personality, her speech..etc) so something as simple as being cross eyed or facial hair (btw all egy girls have facial hair.. so that was a stupid reason) is completely ridiculous! She'll probably never get married again :( and even worse.. she's all over the news now! The mom did wrong for showing the guy fake pictures, but lol she really wanted her daughter to get married.. so I guess whatever it takes :P Anyway, it's obvious that this guy was marrying for lust. He probably wouldn't care if she was an airhead, as long as he had the pretty woman (that's how I see it). Actually now that I think of it, he probably only married her off of the pictures he saw, and didn't care about anything else! lol I should stop making assumptions now... but yeah, definitely not morally right! This should be illegal!!

I hope she finds a good Coptic guy that will marry her, and convert her, and live happily ever after. The end.
  • It doesnt make sense how they insist that women should be covered and marry a woman based on that foundation, yet, when it comes to the crunch, they've shot themselves in the foot.

Apparently divorce rates are increasing in Saudi Arabia. Their stupid dumb and backward sharia law that insists on treating women like sheep is ruining society.

• This might be just me, but don't you guys feel somewhat bad for the guy?  I don't see how this coulda happened in the first place, but in my opinion "some sort of" physical attraction is usually the 'trigger' in a relationship.
    I know that occasionally our Church will grant divorces if the person asking for it states he/she's been decieved.  So technically... if this was our problem, they woulda been divorced by now.
  • Yeah I think it's just you :P
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=8807.msg110434#msg110434 date=1265919230]
    This might be just me, but don't you guys feel somewhat bad for the guy?  I don't see how this coulda happened in the first place, but in my opinion "some sort of" physical attraction is usually the 'trigger' in a relationship.
    I know that occasionally our Church will grant divorces if the person asking for it states he/she's been decieved.  So technically... if this was our problem, they woulda been divorced by now.

Do I feel bad for him!?

No! I don't. There's more to marriage than looks.

if a guy was to marry me and then divorce me because he felt I was not pretty enough later on, I'd be furious.

Women change. I mean, I was a size 14, then a size 16 and now I'm size 12. I mean, you have to be happy with what you get!!!

• The issue of morality, in this case, is irrelevant to us since it concerns the conduct under Islamic Law/Tradition.

Who cares?!

• [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8807.msg110736#msg110736 date=1266369393]
    The issue of morality, in this case, is irrelevant to us since it concerns the conduct under Islamic Law/Tradition.

Who cares?!

I disagree.

We all share morals - and if muslims believe something is moral when for us, it is immoral, it is vital to know all this as it is in morality that most people end up respecting / disrespecting a given religion.

If there was a religion that condoned violence or abuse, and there was one that did the opposite, which would you prefer?
  • I am just talking about their framework of dealing with this particular case.  It is focal only to their religion.

If the same situation arose in the Coptic Church, it would follow a different algorithm and canonical system for dealing with it.
    We do not fully understand the Islamic System and its whims, that is why I said it was 'irrelevant'.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8807.msg110740#msg110740 date=1266369843]
    I am just talking about their framework of dealing with this particular case.  It is focal only to their religion.

If the same situation arose in the Coptic Church, it would follow a different algorithm and canonical system for dealing with it.
    We do not fully understand the Islamic System and its whims, that is why I said it was 'irrelevant'.

OK. fine. But even if it is irrelevant, I still thought the story showed the idiocy of Islamic Shariah law.
  • I agree with you in that regard.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8807.msg110745#msg110745 date=1266370458]
    I agree with you in that regard.

Actually, I found the story quite funny as well. lol