When the son of man comes, will he really find faith on the earth?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Luke 18:8

Does this mean that there won't be any good people around when Jesus returns?
What does this verse mean?

Comments

• [quote author=Australian link=topic=8785.msg110162#msg110162 date=1265591832]
    Luke 18:8

Does this mean that there won't be any good people around when Jesus returns?
    What does this verse mean?

This is a good question. I love studying eschatology (study of the end) and this verse definetly pertains to it. There will definetly be religion and I am sure good people that do good things. What Christ states here is basically asking will there be anyone who actually has faith, true faith? This is happening everywhere and is not specific to any denomination. Many people say the believe in Christ, but do not know what belief is. Many people practice the Orthodox spiritual life without actually knowing what it means TO practice it. I dont even know if I have faith to be honest, and I know I am not a good person. This verse basically means that when Christ comes back there will be very few with actual faith, there will be a remnant left practicing according to His will.
  • It is especially a rhetorical question that we should all ask of ourselves.

If our Lord returns now, will He find that I have faith? or am I just going through the motions?

St Cyril says..

But that men would make merchandize of the word of uprightness, and prevail on many to abandon a sound faith, involving them in the inventions of devilish error, and "belching forth, as Scripture says, things out of their own hearts, and not out of the mouth of the Lord," He foretold, saying, "When the Son of man comes, shall He find faith upon the earth?" It escaped not His knowledge: how could it, seeing that He is God Who knows all things? He tells us then, to use his own words, that "the love of many will grow cold," and that "in the latter times some shall depart from a correct and blameless faith, going after seducing spirits, and giving heed to the false words of men who are seared in mind." Against whom we draw near unto God as faithful servants, praying Him that their wickedness, and their attempts against His glory, may be brought to no effect.

We are warned in this teaching on the passage to beware of those who seek to lead the faithful astray. This can from a variety of sources,

1. From within the Church
    2. From among heterodox groups
    3. From among other religions - and atheism may be included here
    4. From the attractive diversions of the world
    5. By Satan and his wicked servants

We can see that St Cyril teaches us that our response to these assaults is not to go on the offensive against men, but to 'draw near unto God'.

In this Lenten season I encourage us all to 'draw near to God', and as the words of the Scripture continue, 'and he will draw near to you'. There is nothing to fear in God's presence, so let us turn our attention and effort most eagerly and with the greatest commitment to be always found in prayer and holiness. This is the solution to any fears we may have that we ourselves already lack faith. The one whom we know best we trust best, and this is the meaning of faith. Therefore let us make God our greatest friend, the one whom we spend most time with, the one we want most to please, and we will find that our faith grows and defends us against all the enemies of our souls.

Father Peter
  • That is a great point Fr. Peter. I definetly think we should ask ourselves, "Do I have faith?"
    I often wonder this about my own self. I agree with you that we must be vigilant and watch as to not be deceived, we are surrounded by enemies.