Coptic Names

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Could some of you provide the meaning of these Coptic names?

Melad, Ayman, Khalifa, Riad, Imad, Ramy

Comments

• [quote author=JustinWilliams link=topic=8332.msg106285#msg106285 date=1252975854]
    Could some of you provide the meaning of these Coptic names?

Melad, Ayman, Khalifa, Riad, Imad, Ramy

most of these are general names nor specifically "coptic orthodox."

most of the names have meaning in arabic.
    Melad mean birth
    Ayman means right (as in right hand)
    Khalifa means successor (mostly an Islamic name but we use it as an adjective)
    Riad ??
    Imad (0r Emad) means baptism
    Ramy ?? 
  • Agapy!

Why do we have diverse names? does anyone know?
  • [quote author=Mozes link=topic=8332.msg106288#msg106288 date=1252980029]
    Agapy!

Why do we have diverse names? does anyone know?

why not?!
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=8332.msg106289#msg106289 date=1252980434]
    why not?!
    [

Our names are not uniquely Egyptian.We have too many western sounding names like nancy, monica, george,andrew etc. Why not call George; Gergis or steve-Istfanus ,Peter- boutors and stick to it? The names should reflect the language that we speak.If they are available in arabic translation,Why translate it, for example? You may argue,that thise of us who live in the west are better off if we assimilate to the culture of our respective countries,how about those who are in egypt or elsewhere? I can think of many names to make my point,but I guess you know what I mean.
  • [quote author=Mozes link=topic=8332.msg106291#msg106291 date=1252981154]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=8332.msg106289#msg106289 date=1252980434]
    why not?!
    [

Our names are not uniquely Egyptian.We have too many western sounding names like nancy, monica, george,andrew etc. Why not call George; Gergis or steve-Istfanus ,Peter- boutors and stick to it? The names should reflect the language that we speak.If they are available in arabic translation,Why translate it, for example? You may argue,that thise of us who live in the west are better off if we assimilate to the culture of our respective countries,how about those who are in egypt or elsewhere? I can think of many names to make my point,but I guess you know what I mean.

I think i do understand you. But as Copts, we always did the best of what we had. Egypt, as the first language is arabic, have the most modern dialect OF ARABIC. this is, as you have said, because it is mixed with many other cultures. But what can we do. We mixed ours with theirs. I am not saying that this is "perfect" but it shows my first point, "we do the best of what we have."

like think about Arabic in general as a language, did we really have the choice of it. NO. But we still did the best we can to use it. That how Christianity works and should be. you are to bring God to people  without destroying them as a free-willed human being who have his own mind and soul.