The Plank in my Own Eye

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Aghapy everyone

I need your help!

sometimes i feel like correcting someone (and that person is sometimes older than me) but I am always reminded of this verse:

3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. (Matthew 7:3-5)

I don't know if this thought to correct someone is from God or from the devil.

Also, I have a question, we are all sinners, right? so does that mean that we all have planks in our eye?

I also want to learn about judging because I think that this scenario that i fall in is a result of judging. I am confused and i need your help!

thanks and pray for me

Comments

• I would like the answer to this too please.. I think about this alot.

I was just talking about this briefly with my foc. and the summery of what he said is perfectly stated in this quote.
    "Teach your heart to guard that which your tongue teaches." - Abba Poemen
    - A rule of thumb just for myself has always been that when i am giving advice or saying anything to anybody, i say it to myself first before i am saying it to the other, because in most cases I struggle with the same things, i am just sharing what i know and what i have learned with the other and teaching myself out loud.
    idk if that makes sense..

please pray for me
    -cheif of sinners
  • OMG the_least, you are talking as if you know my mind......

What I realized that no one likes to be corrected (lol). the first impression they get, is that "I think that I'm better than them". For sure, correcting others will result in falling in the same sin (by experience). I know intentions were good, but means didn't work out right.

I'm struggling with this pro as well. a long time ago, I read a book for Abouna Bishoy Kamel. I forget it's name, but it is hitting my head nowadays. In the book he was praying for sinners and talking about the hurt we do to God by sinning, and each sin done by anyone is renewing the nailing on Jesus' cross.
    Anyways, here is what I'm trying to do now:
    1-  pray silently to God whenever I see any evildoers so they may be saved. (from the angle that it is hurting Jesus and pity them for not tasting His salvation.)
    2- then pray for myself so God may have mercy upon me and not to fall in the same sin since I'm weak and sin is strong.
    3- I try to remind myself of my plank to change the center of attention from others to myself.
    4- I keep reminding myself that judging is God's job and when I judge I over step Him and take His job (in this case I'm sinning).

It's very hard not to forget doing all that, but I'll keep trying. And yes, absolutely each one of us has a plank.

By the way, I'm trying to help here, not to correct
  • Great help
    May God bless you all

A chief-sinner