Howdy, Stranger!
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Categories
- All Categories 13.8K
- General Category 10.9K
- General Announcements 184
- Faith Issues 3.4K
- Coptic Orthodox Church 2.5K
- Personal Issues 1.4K
- Prayer Requests 426
- Random Issues 1.8K
- Introductions 295
- Non-Orthodox Inquiries 232
- Youth Corner 606
- Hymns 2.6K
- Hymns Discussion 2.6K
- Technicial Difficulties 368
- Technical Topics 368
The Poor
Christ is Risen
I guess it matters where you are as to who the poor are. In a developed society we see shabby people, tired out, travelling by public transport; beggars; people who sleep rough and some elderly people who maybe didn't have a large enough pension. Then there are massive disasters abroad.
The Saints and Our Saviour favoured the poor and we must too. But where are they so that I can help directly (rather than, say, give them something indirectly as to a charity)? What, I am asking, is the definition of poverty? Who would Our Lord be referring to-to the general populace living from hand to mouth or what?
St John Chrysostom said that if a man asks for a handout on horseback we must comply. So is poverty sometimes not obvious to us? Do we need to seek it out?
Love to hear from you
In Christ
I guess it matters where you are as to who the poor are. In a developed society we see shabby people, tired out, travelling by public transport; beggars; people who sleep rough and some elderly people who maybe didn't have a large enough pension. Then there are massive disasters abroad.
The Saints and Our Saviour favoured the poor and we must too. But where are they so that I can help directly (rather than, say, give them something indirectly as to a charity)? What, I am asking, is the definition of poverty? Who would Our Lord be referring to-to the general populace living from hand to mouth or what?
St John Chrysostom said that if a man asks for a handout on horseback we must comply. So is poverty sometimes not obvious to us? Do we need to seek it out?
Love to hear from you
In Christ

Comments
I find i that its a lazy way to help the poor...Its better to construct the smile on their face
by yourself by handing them a peice of fruit, money or even helping them in something.
God bless :)