Cross on the Wrist

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Does anyone know where I can get the Coptic Cross on my wrist in America, or if there is anywhere I could get it done in Egypt that is safe (new and clean needles, good design, etc.)?
I realize i could get it done in a tattoo shop but i feel that it defeats the purpose.

please pray for me and my weakness!!

Comments

• well i mean i was going to get one but someone close to me, i cant remember, told me that in the bible it tells you not to make any type of markings on your body....

i dont know just putting it out there

Pray for me and my troubles, and our beloved Abouna Bishoy
  • the rules about not marking your body were so the israelites did not cut themselves in mourning like the pagans. they have been used by Christians in developed countries against tatoos for decades. (not always wisely  ;) )
    however a cross on the wrist/hand is rather different than a 'hell's angel' blazoned across your chest, so it depends on the motive.
    cutting yourself in honour of a pagan God after someone close to you dies is obviously out  ;)
    other reasons for tatooing need to be examined in their own right. rude and violent tatoos are also obviously out, as are those which indicate membership of an anti-Christian or violent group.

the reason why copts (and also indian orthodox and some catholics) started tatooing their children's wrists was so that if they were abducted by non-Christian powerful families (it used to happen) then when they grew up, they would look at the tatoo and remember that they should be Christian and then go and find out about the faith.
    i think this is a very honourable reason for a tatoo.

the only reason i can think why someone who is not already tatooed might not like it done would be if they are going to live as isolated Christians in a large non-Christian community and want to share their faith more discretely.
    i would like to know what you all think about this as it will help non-tatooed people to make their decision.

also i agree with the idea about not having it done in a non-Christian shop, i think tatooing a cross on someone is an act of worship by itself.
    let us give our whole bodies in worship to God
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=7689.msg100637#msg100637 date=1235995312]
    the rules about not marking your body were so the israelites did not cut themselves in mourning like the pagans. they have been used by Christians in developed countries against tatoos for decades. (not always wisely  ;) )
    however a cross on the wrist/hand is rather different than a 'hell's angel' blazoned across your chest, so it depends on the motive.
    cutting yourself in honour of a pagan God after someone close to you dies is obviously out  ;)
    other reasons for tatooing need to be examined in their own right. rude and violent tatoos are also obviously out, as are those which indicate membership of an anti-Christian or violent group.

the reason why copts (and also indian orthodox and some catholics) started tatooing their children's wrists was so that if they were abducted by non-Christian powerful families (it used to happen) then when they grew up, they would look at the tatoo and remember that they should be Christian and then go and find out about the faith.
    i think this is a very honourable reason for a tatoo.

the only reason i can think why someone who is not already tatooed might not like it done would be if they are going to live as isolated Christians in a large non-Christian community and want to share their faith more discretely.
    i would like to know what you all think about this as it will help non-tatooed people to make their decision.

also i agree with the idea about not having it done in a non-Christian shop, i think tatooing a cross on someone is an act of worship by itself.
    let us give our whole bodies in worship to God

I heard the reason was so that when christians died they would be buried at a christian cemetery (when their identity and thus also religion cannot be known any other way...) But I like the explanation you put up ;)

As for me, I don't know, I wouldn't want to put it up just because I don't see any need for it, and also, as Mabsoota said, I'm someone who prefers to be more discrete when it comes to religious symbols or something.. I hope people can guess my religion from my behaviour and not an outward sign ..

God bless
  • that's a good point, Godislove260,
    however the cross can also be a talking point, and maybe we need to have one and take every opportunity to discuss our faith.
    so actually i can see both points in the debate, i think the choice depends on your circumstances.
    my friend who is a deacon (i think he is a singer) has a massive head and torso of Jesus on the cross tatooed on his right shoulder. he uses it as a talking point when he's in the men's changing room at work! i like it, you can't fail to be moved when you see it. he admits it was quite painful to have it done, so i am glad i didn't have one like that  ;) we all have different things to do to glorify God  :)
  • I am aware of the whole debate about whether of not it is right to get the Cross on your wrist. I feel that it would serve as a reminder of Christ's love for all of us, to be crucified and humilated, but we rarely try to talk about it to others, which could also start conversations about faith. 

Also I wanted to know if anyone knew a Church or Monastery in America that can do the cross on your wrist.

Thanks for all of the input so far but no one has really answered my main question ^^^.
    Please pray for me and my weakness!!
  • I heard a different reason for the Cross on the wrist I heard that to us its like Jews and star of David...I heard that during the persecution they would put the cross on the wrist to identify you as a christian
  • [quote author=egyboy link=topic=7689.msg100619#msg100619 date=1235956470]
    Does anyone know where I can get the Coptic Cross on my wrist in America, or if there is anywhere I could get it done in Egypt that is safe (new and clean needles, good design, etc.)?
    I realize i could get it done in a tattoo shop but i feel that it defeats the purpose.

please pray for me and my weakness!!

Guys he asked where he could get one, not whether or not its right or wrong.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7689.msg100661#msg100661 date=1236028029]
    Guys he asked where he could get one, not whether or not its right or wrong.

Thanks jydeacon
    I have already been following several threads in the past about this topic.
    THIS THREAD WAS NOT MADE TO DISCUSS WHETHER IT IS RIGHT OR WRONG!!!!
    All I wanted to know is if anyone knows where I can get it done for me in a church or monastery in America!!

please pray for me and my weakness!
  • well I haven't heard of any church that does it or monastery in the U.S.
  • Thanks for our help.

So does anyone know where is a good place in Egypt to get one (a place that is safe with new needles and a good clear design)?
    Does anyone know who does this cross tattoo? is it a monk? deacon? layman?
  • Hello to you, my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I hope that you are all doing well and benefiting from the fruits of the fast that we are in. I am going to pose a question to you all that may provoke some discomfort to some of you, but I feel that it is necessary for us to deeply examine the following and come to a conclusion that is not arrived at simply by virtue of the emotions that it may instantly provoke: as Christians living outside of Egypt for the most part, why do you feel the need to have a cross put on your wrist? I understand the past historical reasons, but I ask the question as a contemporary one.

Please, give the question some thought. While the topic may not have initially been created in order to discuss whether or not it is right or wrong to have the cross put on your wrist, I think it would behoove us all to think about the reasons. I see that egyboy has posted that "it would serve as a reminder of Christ's love for all of us, to be crucified and humilated, but we rarely try to talk about it to others, which could also start conversations about faith." How does this differ at all from having a cross hanging from your neck, or... praying without ceasing, constantly keeping in mind the salvation that our Lord, Jesus Christ, has allowed us to partake in through faith and constant struggling?

In the early Church, when the disciples went from one city to the next, preaching the Word of God, they did not wear black nor distinguish themselves physically in any way from others, and yet, people were drawn to them to hear the words that they would speak and to acquire the faith which they were taught. The Christian which is "intriguing" to others that are not in the faith is not so by means of how he or she distinguishes themselves physically, but by the spiritual light that shines through them, a reflection of the light of Christ within them that is not visible to the body's eye but to that of the heart and the mind.

Again, I understand that this may stir feelings in people that may be drawn towards anger or discontent, but I ask you, in this time of introspection that our Church has set aside for us, allow yourself to truly examine not only the reasons for getting a cross placed on your wrist but also of how we may become stronger in the faith and becomes lights of the world. As I stated previously, I understand the historical context concerning the reason of tattooing the cross onto a person's wrist.

Please pray for me, my weakness, and for all of us in the world, both Christians and non-Christians, that we may come closer to God in this time of fasting and may strive to become partakers of the divine nature.

childoforthodoxy
  • [quote author=SeekAndYouShallFind link=topic=7689.msg100760#msg100760 date=1236222536]
    I know that in Egypt they do it in all monasteries but in America?? I think the only place is a tattoo shop-your opinion is that it defeats the purpose? May I know your opinion about this-thank you!

(I was asking because I was getting a cross on my wrist this summer but I don't know where!)

I feel that it should be a memorable moment in our life when you put a mark on your body signifying that you are a Christian, a child of God, not just for a design which is the Western attitude towards tattoos.
  • the cross used to be a fish drawing all early christians would meet at this sign drawn on the ground, together they worshiped in secrecy.
    now we can boldly wear the sign as a cross. what is important is that the cross be tatooed in your heart, that is important, no use having on drawn on your wrist!
    thanks .
  • If you go online look up christian tattoo shops or tattooists, they are becoming more popular since many like yourself wants the tattoo for spiritual reasons not demonic.
    I was lucky and had a friend who came to the house and did it for me. good luck and God bless ;D ;D